Romance Fiction posted December 21, 2014 Chapters:  ...23 24 -25- 26... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Jim meets up with Soni.

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

Chapter Once; Part Uno

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"I heated myself leftovers. I don't know what you're eating." Tatiana walked past her husband and into the bedroom.

When Tatiana returned, she set a pillow and a blanket on the couch.

"You're making me sleep here?" asked Alex.

"I will not sleep with you until that child I raised from an infant returns safely." Tatiana slammed the door to the bedroom.

PS: Jim has already gone after Soni.


TODAY'S POST:


CHAPTER ELEVEN


Soni finished roasting two rabbits on a spit over an open fire. She handed the first one to Buktus and the second to Goliath. "Mack, you and I will eat in a little bit. Our rabbits are almost done."

The three dogs stood with ears cocked. Soni whispered, "I hear him too. He's been following us since late afternoon." She rotated the spit that held the rabbits.

After waiting silently for a few moments, Soni reached over and moved the rifle closer to her left thigh. She listened, picked up the weapon, and aimed it in the direction of the movement. "Jim, why you following me?"

Jim's arms were raised. "Why you pointing that thing at me? That's how people get shot. I'm here because I thought you might need help." He hesitated for a moment. "Can I put my arms down? And can you point that gun somewhere else?"

"Keep your arms up. Tell me where you got that vest. When Ed and Juan rescued you, you didn't have it. I doubt you bought it in town with Alex."

"My boss drops a few supplies off once in a while."

"In the middle of the night?"

Jim nodded. "Now can I lower my arms? My shoulder hurts."

Soni continued aiming the rifle at Jim's heart. "Who do you work for?"

"We've been over this If I tell you, you could be in danger. I'm protecting you and the Rockin' A by not telling you."

"Sounds fishy to me. For all I know you helped them steal Midnight."

"What motive would I have for kidnapping your horse? My shoulder's really hurting. Can we stop this interrogation?"

When Soni nodded and placed the rifle at her side, Jim lowered his arms, rubbed his shoulder, and then glanced at the dogs. "Why are you cooking their meat? Dogs eat raw meat."

"My dogs don't. They prefer their dinner cooked."

"Oh! I see." Jim chuckled before his eyes met hers. "Why didn't you wait for Alex?"

"I didn't know when he'd return. Midnight's in immediate danger." Soni's eyes were black as coal. "I can handle myself."

"I never doubted that, but you don't know what you're up against." Jim studied the campfire. "Won't the rustlers see the fire?"

"I doubt it. I keep it low and we're still a good half day's ride away." Soni pointed west. "Want some rabbit?"

"You have extra?"

"I will. Boys, get this man a rabbit." Soni watched the dogs leave. "It won't take long."

Within minutes Butkus returned with a rabbit. Soni quickly skinned and cleaned it. As they waited for it to cook, Jim asked, "What's your plan for getting Midnight back?"

"I don't have one. Once we get there, I'll come up with it."

"I guess that will work. I usually have some idea what I'm up against."

"All I know is Midnight's tethered in a corral and it's guarded. I don't know how many men's there. Hopefully, I can free Midnight and nobody will notice and we'll leave peacefully."

"That would be ideal, but rarely do things work out like that. Besides, once they realize the horse is gone, they'll come after it."

"True." Soni sat in thought and fingered the rifle. "We'll know more by noon tomorrow. The rabbit's done. You'd better eat and get some sleep. Morning comes early in these parts."











Recognized


MERRY CHRISTMAS AND I HOPE YOU HAVE A BLESSED NEW YEAR!!!!!!


This has been a nightmare in posting. I hope it comes out okay.

Thank you google images for an image of a rabbit being roasted on a spit over a campfire. No wildlife was hurt in writing this post. Thank you for reading and reviewing. If you have not read from the beginning, you WILL be confused. I don't redefine each character in every post.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.