Romance Fiction posted November 23, 2014 Chapters:  ...19 20 -21- 22... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

CHAPTER NUEVE; PART DOS

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Hughes opened the envelope and removed the photographs. "Do you deny this is you dancing?" The Homeland Security man also took out two peyote buttons.

"Of course, it's me. I danced The Fancy Shawl Dance. I do it every year, but there's never any peyote. Where did you get these?"

"You need to come with me."

"No, I don't. I'm needed here with Diego. I'll come in when we're sure he's out of danger."

"By then the drugs will be out of your system. You need to come, now," Hughes' voice was stern as he took hold of her arm.

Soni yanked it away. "I'll go on my own, but when this is over I expect an apology. If Diego dies, it's on you."


TODAY'S POST:

Late afternoon, Soni burst through the front door. "How's Diego?"

"He's still unconscious. What happened? Did Hughes bring you back?" Alex walked to Soni.

Soni glanced over her shoulder as she hurried toward the large German Shepard. "He's coming. I guess he doesn't understand the urgency." She petted Diego's neck and smiled. "He knows I'm here. His eyes fluttered." Soni touched a healing crystal. "I see Grandfather's returned." She glanced at the door. "I didn't see his pickup parked out front, but noticed the sheriff's."

"Kuruk rode Ol' Thunder. He's in the stable checking the crime scene and discussing the situation with Sheriff Boyd. I hope Hughes leaves before he comes inside." Alex blew out a breath. "It won't be a pretty sight."

"What won't be a pretty sight?" Robert Hughes walked through the door.

"Did my granddaughter's blood work show any signs of peyote use?" Kuruk lagged behind the Homeland Security agent.

"Well, that's hard to say." Robert stared into the Lipan Apache Chief's eyes. "The urine, blood, and saliva all came back negative. We're waiting to hear from the hair follicle test. It takes a little longer."

"The first time you violated Sonsee-array's rights, I'm sure she explained there's no peyote use on the reservation."

"Native Americans are well-known for its use, especially the Apaches. So I had probable cause."

"We're Lipan Apaches that remained in Texas. The Mescalero and some Lipan Apaches moved to New Mexico. They have used peyote as part of their ceremonies for years. You have the two tribes confused." Kuruk sustained the glare. "You're harassing my granddaughter and making slanderous statements about my people. When you realize we're innocent, I expect a full apology."

"I see no reason to continue this conversation." Hughes glanced at Soni. "Don't leave the ranch until you hear from me. If you do, I'll have you arrested until the hair follicle results have returned."

Kuruk watched Hughes leave and muttered under his breath in Apache.

"Grandfather, that wasn't very nice." Soni smiled. "But I've thought the same thing."

"Are you two going to keep this a secret or share it with me? My Apache isn't very good, but I did catch something about a ba'cho. Doesn't that mean wolf?" asked Alex.

Kuruk's lips formed a grin as he replied, "I wish the man no harm, but he needs to meet up with a wolf."

"Meet up with a wolf, but no harm comes to him?" Alex chuckled. "Sure."

With both hands on Diego's back, Kuruk said, "It'll take time, but he'll make a full recovery." He faced his granddaughter. "Don't you worry, but the spirits tell me things will get worse before they get better. I'll come by tomorrow to check on our patient." He pointed at the door. "Ol' Thunder takes his time getting anywhere. I'd better head home."

Soni walked her Grandfather to the stable. After he rode out of sight, she returned to Diego.

Jim walked from the kitchen. "Has Hughes left?"

Soni's eyes widened. "You've been there the whole time?" She released a deep breath. "Why didn't you tell that man nobody used peyote last night?"

"I don't want anybody to know I'm here." Jim paused.

"Won't your boss question why you haven't been at work?" Soni interrupted his pause with a tilted head.

"I've called him. We're squared away for as long as I need to heal. I'm in contact with him every couple of days."

"Or nights?" whispered Soni as she tended Diego.

"I go outside so I don't risk waking anyone." Jim petted the German Shepard. "How's he doing?"

"I think he's making hourly improvements." Soni kissed the top of the dog's head. "In no time at all he'll be back to work."

Soni turned and her eyes met Alex's. "Tomorrow I'd better take the helicopter and inspect the entire ranch. You want to go for a ride?"

Alex shook his head. "Gus and I plan to repair the stables."

"Do you need my help?" Soni asked.

"No. I think you need a Sunday afternoon stroll around the ranch. I agree with Kuruk. Something somewhere isn't right. I just don't know what."









Recognized


Thank you google images for an image of a healing quartz. Maybe like the one Kuruk put beside Diego. Thank you for reading and reviewing. If you have not read from the beginning, you WILL be confused. I don't redefine each character in every post.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.