Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted November 23, 2014


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A quick look at America's system

Is the Immigration System Broken?

by lancellot


I know that it is a popular phrase spoken by many politicians, activists and illegals to say America’s immigration system is broken. You may have heard it so often that you now believe it. But is it really?

Many people, including President Obama, have said that the current immigration laws separate families, by deporting immigrants who came to the US illegally from their children who were born here and are citizens. There is some truth to that, but there is also another side.

Why do we blame the immigration laws, but not the adults who willingly and knowingly broke them before they had children? Well, why do we blame guns and not the adults who kill with them? Why do we blame schools and teachers for poor graduation rates in the inner city, but not the students and their parents? Why do we blame the criminal justice system for high black male incarceration rates versus comparably low white, Asian and Hispanic rates, but not the blacks themselves?  Before you cry it’s racism, you idiot. When did Asians and Hispanics become loved by racists to the point where Asians have a lower incarceration rate than whites?

If you set aside emotion, politics, political correctness, personal agendas, and look at these issues objectively you will come to a very uncomfortable and usually unspeakable conclusion. Well, I suppose you could speak about it, but be prepared to be viciously attacked for daring to say it. To face those attacks and to answer the above question honestly requires courage. That’s something that should be in abundance in the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Recently, President Obama issued an executive order giving legal status to nearly five million illegals in America. It was an action that he himself stated many times before (publicly) that he did not have the authority to legally do.* I know this is a sore point many Obama and illegal immigrant supporters wish to brush aside.  Personally, I believe Obama exceeded his authority, but he is not the first and only President to do so. Presidents, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Hoover, and Roosevelt all did it, but they did not face a twenty-four hour news cycle. They were wrong and all got away with it. Sometimes that happens in the real world. My main concern is when Presidents ignore the constitution to do what they want, and people cheer. What will those same people say when he breaks the law again but this time it hurts them or takes something away from them? Will they sit in tears, asking how did this happen?

The immigrants and their supporters claim that this is about morality and that trumps the law.  But didn’t the illegals break the law originally anyway? Is it really surprising that they would not mind breaking the law again, for what they want? The President claims that they will come out of the shadows, pay a fine and their fair share of taxes. I love that part. How many readers actually think when those people file their Federal taxes, they will owe money? If most are poor with children (no stereotype intended) wouldn’t they likely get a tax refund? Where will that extra money come from or should I ask – who? Something to think about that Obama didn’t mention.

What about the US Congress and the Republicans?  Many people correctly point out that an immigration bill passed by the Democrat controlled Senate has not been brought up for a vote in the Republican controlled House of Representatives.  The Presidents, immigrant supporters and many others call this a failure by the House.  But is it?

President Obama came on National television and said the Republican controlled House failed to pass a comprehensive Immigration reform bill, so he was forced to act.
  1. Obama did not mention that for the first two years of his presidency his Democrat party held control of all branches of Government, and they could have, but chose not to pass such a bill into law. They did not need a single Republican vote to do it, but they did not. They did pass Obamacare without a single Republican vote. So we all know they could have. In fact President Obama Promised in 2007 that he would pass such a bill within his first year in office. ** I guess he forgot.
  2. In 2010 the American people spoke, and gave control of the House of Representative to the Republicans, and they still have control today. Also the same American people recently chose to give them control of the US Senate too. Remember these are Republicans, who are mostly against amnesty for illegals. What does this say about the will and desire of the American people? Is their desire important? Does it matter what they want?
  3. Is not passing a bill in Congress a failure? This term has always bothered me. If a bill to strip women of voting rights passes in the Senate, but falls in the house, is that a failure or a victory? If the citizens of a district sends their Representative to Congress to vote no on Immigration reform, isn’t that what he/she is supposed to do? Are we not a representative republic? Is every bill thought up by a Congressman or Senator a good bill? Is the President always right?
Lastly, is a law actually broken, because people (not citizens) choose to break it? Are the murder, rape, burglary, robbery and theft laws broken? There are many, many people who break them every day for a variety of reasons. Why aren’t we marching in the streets to repeal them?

Remember, immigration reform and amnesty were passed by President Reagan in 1985, and yet here we are again.*** Is it so hard to understand why some republicans do not want a repeat, considering that it did not solve the problem before? What did Einstein say about insanity?

If people are streaming into a country, fleeing terrible conditions in their homeland, isn’t the real answer is to fix what they are running from? If your boat is sinking, is the answer to bail faster, or to patch the hole?



Recognized


* http://www.factcheck.org/2014/11/obamas-immigration-amnesia/
** https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF7SjTnMAQ4
*** https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjrBjLSz5aA

Obama, 2011: With respect to the notion that I can just suspend deportations through executive order, that's just not the case, because there are laws on the books that Congress has passed and I know that everybody here at Bell is studying hard so you know that we've got three branches of government. Congress passes the law. The executive branch's job is to enforce and implement those laws. And then the judiciary has to interpret the laws.
There are enough laws on the books by Congress that are very clear in terms of how we have to enforce our immigration system that for me to simply through executive order ignore those congressional mandates would not conform with my appropriate role as president.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. lancellot All rights reserved.
lancellot has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.