General Fiction posted October 31, 2014


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The battle of one who has lost his mind.

Mind games

by Neonewman


I've been in this room for more than three years. I really don't play well with others, so they keep me isolated. They say I am lost. My days mostly consist of mind games, you know just messing around with a nurse or two or perhaps a supposed Doctor as he makes his rounds. I enjoy a good torture of one's mind.

Sally for instance, she lived in a room next to mine. Quite a nuisance this Sally, all day long giggling, the night as well. I never allowed myself to relish such atrocities, most times I find myself a little creepy. One night as Sally slept, I whispered her a dream. Skies darkened, the moon cracked. Sally's giggles ceased as the earth beneath her opened its mouth. Sally reached for the sky, stars fell short of her reach. She now resides in a penthouse suite, a padded white delight, I fear she is lost.

I was married for eleven years. No, Wait! I think it may have been eight. She was a beautiful woman, hair as black as a midnight song and skin fairer than that of a milk bath. Her eyes would penetrate your soul; I removed them from their sockets, and I ingested them. They would never again be seen, eternally lost.

My scheduled daily visit with Frank has ended with such pleasure. He came to peek inside my mind, but in his mind I did creep. He started with a rocking clock, which swung beneath a chain. He spoke to me as if to say, that I would fall asleep. "Your eyes grow heavy." He whispered, I focused on his time. The simple truth of the matter was, his eyes closed before mine.

No longer do they come alone, safety in numbers they feel. Prodigies, young folk eager to learn. I'm not sure how much more I can take. They peer in judgment as if thinking they're better than me. If they only knew me their minds would crumble.

I can barely tolerate their stench.

The last two days passed slowly, I reminisce the life before me. It would only confuse you, if you knew what this meant. You should know however, the body is not meant to house the soul forever and when it is released. My God what euphoria, none in which the likes your simple minds could process. My days will soon end, I foresee this and dammit I'm excited.

Here comes Harriet like clockwork, tray in hand with that shitty little grin of hers. If I was able to reach her, Well that is lost to desire I suppose. She is not a beautiful woman, at least to my sight. The ring she bears on her left hand, certainly leaves one to believe there is someone who thinks she is worthy of keep. Harriet slid the tray through the slot beneath my door, it smells horrendous. I'll partake without utensils, they are not allowed. I will eat this shit they provide for just one day more .

I look up as the smell of chocolate tantalizes my senses. A young intern has pushed a quarter piece of a Hershey bar beneath my door. I quickly covered the soft candied mess so not to lose it to the guard. We are not allowed such luxuries in our medically deemed mental state. I nodded at the young bastard who teased me with this tidbit of pleasure, he took it as a friendly gesture and smiled clumsily my way.

I tire of their existence, I pulled myself beneath my shallow bedding. Curling into what the psychiatric majors call the fetal position and enjoyed my chocolate indulgence. I'm sure tomorrow is my last day in their courts, I overheard the doctors say they wish to prepare my mind for a looksee. I may have just experienced a little happiness of my own, as I embellish the glorious mess that tomorrow might bring.

I drift peacefully into slumber, the chocolate has left the inside of my mouth dry, with a foul taste that I dare not cleanse. Darkness has befallen my soul as it prepares for its escape. There will only be victory for me.

The morning has arrived, their footsteps invade the darkness. A buzzing sound annoys the sleeping, instantly the room fires with light. I pull myself from beneath the bed and prepare for what may come.

No longer shall I be lost.




Flash Fiction Writing Contest contest entry

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Neonewman All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Neonewman has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.