General Non-Fiction posted October 21, 2014


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A happy ending for a sad story

A Simple Cross

by LoannaLois


He's now five years old with white-blond hair. His blue eyes sparkle with a knowledge far greater than should be possible.

His brother, Zac, was killed in a car accident with him and his Mother. Grayson was in a car seat beside him. When the paramedics came back to the car, after taking Zac, Grayson wanted to know where the other nice man was...the one with wings.

This simple statement has traveled around the world and has brought touching response from thousands.

After the accident, another moment of blessing happened, and I will share it.

The family put up a pretty cross, which Grayson helped make,at the site of the accident.Because of finances, Zac was cremated. There was no cemetery or place to plant flowers, so they would often visit the cross. One day, the cross with the name Zac was gone...along with stuffed animals and a pretty wreath Mom Kristy had brought.

Grayson was so hurt that Zac's cross was taken,and he said that Zac was upset. The site was near his school so avoiding it was impossible. All they could afford was a substitute cross, and it was taken in a week. By this time the cruelty of it had gotten to the local paper, and Kristy asked simply for someone to please return it. Grayson was so affected by just the meanness of it, that he stopped talking. You cannot judge the depth of pain, and how an accident will affect a child.

One day, to their amazement, Grayson spoke. "Mommy, Zac's cross is back!" Sure enough, a beautiful copy of the original cross was there. They then worried that it, too, would be taken. Weeks passed, however, and it remained.

One late night, Kristy was struggling with sleep, pain, and her memories. She was moved to wake Grayson and go visit Zac's cross.For some reason, Kristy was driven in her intent. She would not listen when Grayson wanted to stay in bed.

When they arrived, the movement of a man sitting up beside the cross scared Kristy, so they were forced to stay in the car. Since his window was cracked open a bit, Grayson decided he didn't want that man here, and proceeded in yelling that to the man.He told him to go away.

The man got up and came only half-way to the car. He told them his name and that he stayed here nearby. He was homeless. He had hoped he would meet the little-boy-Zac's family someday. He had gathered all the materials to make the cross and each night he stayed near to insure its safety.He had been there the night the teenagers had broken up and destroyed the original cross, He had cleaned the area up because he felt the destruction left would have hurt them more.The man then promised he would be there unless or until his life changed, and he could not sleep outside.

Kristy and Grayson then simply thanked the man and left. Later on, the man's story was told. He wasn't always a drug-using addict and alcoholic. His whole family had been killed in a car accident years before.



Non-Fiction Writing Contest contest entry

Recognized


Grayson is doing better each day. He was singing to us this week.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LoannaLois All rights reserved.
LoannaLois has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.