General Fiction posted October 21, 2014 Chapters:  ...31 32 -33- 34... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Florentina suffers an episode and Julia assists her.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

Julia Reaches Through to Florentina

by michaelcahill




Background
Soul mates encounter each other on Earth in various lifetimes. In spite of impossible circumstances they somehow are always drawn to each other.
Previously, Julia and Florentina took to each other readily. While they went outside to play and get to know each other, the people in the house began to discuss plans to keep them safe. Abramus was shocked to find that his lifelong friend, Leopold, had become a fanatic and a danger to his daughter. Before long the truth of what Valerius imparted to them became apparent. A plan to protect the girls formed and all agreed to it. Valerius indicated to them the help that Father Thurston had freely given on the road. We continue now as Julia and Florentina discuss matters that only they might understand.




~~~~~~~Julia and Florentina play and talk
 

The two girls did a lot of laughing and running around. Julia sensed that Florentina had not played in this manner in a very long time. Julia enjoyed the exertion and found it took her mind off the constant images and whispers always invading her consciousness. She took great pleasure in the squeals of her new friend as the little one ran in circles for no reason at all. It brought back memories of a time in her life when she didn't worry about what was real and what was not. She thought back to playing with her brother, Cassius. It was so much fun to pretend they were adults hunting the great beast. She knew she was too little to really get close to it. She tried to remember when things began to change, but she only knew that things had changed.
 
"What do you see that others don't see, Julia?" Florentina had stopped running and stood still before her.
 
Julia was a bit startled, as her mind had drifted off in thought. "Well, let me think. There is a great deal. Perhaps most of what I see is not seen by others. It seems as though people only see each other and the things that are here right now. It is as though things that happened before are gone forever. I see things that happened before, sometimes when people where different people. Valerius has been many people. I have known him for a long time. But, he only remembers knowing me now. It is funny. I can barely talk to him about much because he doesn't remember our life together."
 
Florentina looked rather confused by what Julia was saying. "When I see the wolves, it is always brand new. I don't remember seeing them before. They are just there and it is a new day. It is why they scare me. If I knew they were just some memory that happened before and I was only looking at it, then it wouldn't scare me."
 
Julia tilted her head and took Florentina's thoughts in with great interest. She had never considered that idea before. She had always reacted like it was happening for the first time. Why would I do that? I know it has happened before. I could just watch it. I don't have to do anything about it at all. "That's very smart, Florentina. I have never considered it in such a way. Have you ever seen wolves that other people see too?"
 
"I don't remember them, but my mother tells me I have."
 
"I see. Does your mother tell you they frightened you?"
 
"Well, it is a made up story. She told my father she made it up to help me. I heard them talking softly about it. They thought I was asleep… "
 
"Oh dear. It is good you overheard them. A lie would only confuse you. It is better to know what is true. At least I would think so. I would rather know what it true."
 
"You won't tell her, will you? She doesn't know that I know."
 
"Of course not. We are friends. I will never tell anyone our secrets. We are like sisters now. We have our secrets between us and they are nobody's business. Ha! It's nobody's business! Can you say it?"
 
"It's nobody's business!"
 
"Yes. They can pull out all of my teeth and I will not tell them."
 
"They can cut off all my hair and I will not tell them!"
 
They burst into laughter.
 
Valerius came upon the two of them laughing hysterically. "What is so funny, you two?"
 
Florentina looked at him seriously and said, "You can cut off my head and I will not tell you!"
 
The two girls laughed even louder now.
 
Valerius joined them, though not quite so hysterically. "I doubt I have anything in my bag that will cure this!"
 
Florentina dropped to the ground and grabbed her head with both hands. "Oh, it hurts so."
 
Both Valerius and Julia quickly knelt beside her. Valerius began massaging her head gently in the temple area. He said to Julia, "Would you send Lourdes with my bag, Please?"
 
Julia nodded and rushed to get Lourdes.
 
"Does this help, child?" Valerius rubbed her temples gently. "Close your eyes to the sun, it should help."
 
"It is a little better, Doctor. The sun is so bright."
 
Valerius gathered her up and headed for the house. He met Lourdes and Julia on the way. "I've decided to get her out of the bright sun. It seems to affect her poorly." They all rushed to the house.
 
"She has had these spells before. They usually go away in a short while." Lourdes seemed concerned but not overly so.
 
"I see. Do they coincide with her visions?"
 
"Well… yes, yes they do, I think. I sometimes see here rub at her head before a vision. Perhaps there is an ache… I don't know as it isn't always one with the other."
 
Florentina screamed out and pointed at the window. "Look. Don't let them in. They will eat me!"
 
It was Julia who responded. "Go to the window, Florentina. I will go with you. You must see what is around them. Come now, I am with you. They are outside and you are in. You are safe." She grabbed the little girl's hand and they approached the window together. The presence of Julia by her side gave her confidence.
 
"They have stopped growling and just look at me now."
 
"Good. Good. Now, look beyond them. What do you see?" Julia looked at Florentina and not out the window.
 
"I see shadows that move. Figures moving. One approaches me. It is… Father! It is Father. Oh, Mother, come quickly. It is Father. He has come back to us."
 
"It is his spirit, Florentina. He comes to watch over you. He sends wolves to protect you. Wave your hand at the wolves."
 
Florentina waved her hand at the wolves she saw. "They lie on the ground! They lie down as I wave my hand over them. Do you see Father? Father? He is gone, Julia. Oh my, the wolves are gone too."
 
Julia put her arms around her. "Yes, they are gone. Your father protects you. You miss your father and the games he played, don't you child?"
 
"Oh yes. He was so clever. The animals of the forest would answer him sometimes. They were fooled by him. I would laugh so. Can you imagine? A crow would think he spoke to another crow. Caaw Caaw. If only we knew what they were saying." Florentina had forgotten completely about her headache and fear was a distant memory. Julia glanced back at Lourdes who smiled and nodded her approval. The two of them went back outside to enjoy the warmth of the sun and the light of each other's company.
 
Valerius had a look of wonder upon him. "Did you see? Did you all see? How do I call myself a physician having seen the healing I have just seen? It is as I have suspected. Just because we do not understand something does not mean it is wrong. You see? Such is the human mind. Where do our thoughts come from? All of this is a mystery to even the most learned. We dare call another mind sick? What gives us the right? You see the arrogance do you not? How can I say my mind is superior to the mind of the woman who soothed this troubled child? I cannot."
 
A knock on the door interrupted Valerius.
 
Cassius turned to speak. "It is Father Thurston." Cassius invited him in.
 
Valerius rushed to clasp his hand and embrace the priest.
 
Father Thurston looked most serious. "I come to offer my assistance. These are troubling times."




 



Recognized


Excellent feedback and support continues. It is so appreciated. I am enjoying this section of the book more than anything I have written. I draw so many ideas from your comments and suggestions. I can't thank you enough!


List of characters:

Julia- the current incarnation of Vision. Vision is one of the souls that we are following throughout time. Julia is considered mentally ill. She has recall of past lives in great detail and sees them unfold before her. Very unique.

Valerius- the current incarnation of Sound. Sound is the other soul that we follow. In this lifetime he becomes a physician and is drawn to Julia. As soulmates they are always drawn to each other although they are unaware of their connection.

Petrus- The father of Valerius

Abramus- The father of Julia

Cassius- The brother of Julia

Leopold- A church leader who is of a mind that the mentally ill are demon possessed. A danger to Julia

Trellitia- A mentor to Valerius and sympathetic to Julia. The widow of the former village physician.

Gregorio- Another mentor to Valerius. A well known physician in the great city of Constantinople.

Rastavius- A mentor to Leopold and a leader of the church in the great city. Would kill a demon possessed person to free their souls and has done so. Very dangerous and influential over Leopold.

Lourdes- A young woman that Valerius meets on the road home. Mother of Florentina.

Florentina- Daughter of Lourdes. A new patient for Valerius. Showing signs of mental illness. Loves music like Valerius.

Thurston- Another priest in the village. An ally to Trellitia and Valerius. Left Constantinople to get away from Rastavius and now has to contend with Leopold.



The story takes place about 500 AD. It is the beginning of the Dark Ages right after the fall of Rome. The church is becoming conservative and considering mental illness the work of the devil. It is a danger to Julia and Valerius who wants to treat her and protect her.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.