General Fiction posted October 18, 2014


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Short Story

Earl's Sock Drawer

by michaelcahill

Conflict and Resolution Contest Winner 









 
It's the little things that add up over the years to make a marriage. Earl's sock drawer in their cozy bedroom was a bone of contention. He didn't mind the disorganized mess but, she did. It was one small thing, not a deal breaker.
 
Earl hid Betty's inhaler in his sock drawer. Black and white socks thrown together, pick two the same, that's a pair.
 
She hated his damn drawer. To her, a neatly organized drawer was a sign of caring and class. That worthless old coot has none. She smiled hiding his insulin in the drawer. Damn fool… he'll never find it.
 
Earl lit a fat cigar. Betty was beside herself. "You old bastard! Whatcha tryin' to do, kill me? You know I can't handle that foul thing. Out!" She rummaged through her purse.
 
Earl left giggling. He returned with German chocolate cake. "What is it dear? Can't find something?"
 
"Can't… breathe… inhaler... "
 
She was sprawled on the bed. Her dresser was disheveled.
 
Earl felt his blood sugar skyrocketing. Need insulin or I'll be joining the old bag.
 
"What… dear? Can't find… it? Too bad… "
 
He found his bag but no insulin. "Where is it? I'm going into a damn coma!"
 
Betty looked at him and smirked. She was barely breathing.
 
"You bitch! Where is it?" They reached for each other's throats, died and fell into each other's arms.
 
The cops found them that way.
 
Sergeant Lawrence was quite moved. "Aww, so sweet. Lovers for eternity."

 


Writing Prompt
Write a story where the main character has a disagreement with another person. There?s a conflict, which can be a slight difference of opinion or a major one resulting in physical violence.

The story must have a main character and at least one opposing character.

Prose only, no poetry. 200 to 250 words.

Story must include these elements:

Who ? main character, with a name and identity. Cannot be identified only with a pronoun.

A second character with whom he or she quarrels

What ? What do they disagree over? What happens during this disagreement?

Where ? Setting where the conflict occurs ? in the kitchen, in a store, in the woods, at sea, etc.

Resolution ? What happens when the conflict ends? How is the dispute resolved?


Conflict and Resolution
Contest Winner

Recognized


Word 249, Fanstory 251, fingers 249...
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.