Reading Up Next: Skip This One

 Fantasy Fiction posted September 19, 2014 Chapters:  ...8 9 -10- 11... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Persian slaves find that they are not guarded well.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

Born Enemies: From All Directions

by michaelcahill




Background
Tow souls encounter each other as humans throughout many lifetimes. As humans they are unaware of their connection.
Previously, the Persians reacted to the horns sounding in the mountains and then to the rear of them. Tibertin's ploy to delay their forward progress had worked. Artabanus vowed to ignore the horns henceforth. That was also part of Tibertin's strategy. Meanwhile the Roman guarding one of the gates to the slave quarters left it briefly unattended. A Persian child found it and went through the gate at play. The child found the courtyard empty as he searched for the guard who often entertained him. We join the story now as the guard discovers him in the courtyard where he doesn't belong.














"What have we here? The enemy has breached the gate! To arms, I say! To arms!" Flautarvus had sneaked up behind him and scooped him up. He carried the laughing and squealing young warrior back to the proper side of the gate and set him down.
 
Flautarvus became serious. "Now, Martius, it is forbidden for you to go beyond the gate. I hope you will not try such a foolhardy stunt again. Now, give me your word as a soldier that you will not try this again."
 
"But, why? It looks like so much fun beyond the gate with places to hide."
 
"Well, you must trust me. It is for everyone's safety that they remain where they belong. You ask your people and they will explain it to you. Now, you run along. I've work to do."
 
Martius pretended to unleash an arrow at Flautarvus who immediately staggered back as though mortally wounded. Martius ran off laughing with glee.
 
"Martius! Where are you running in such a hurry?" Allutia appreciated the distraction of this youngster and his innocent energy.
 
"I have slain the giant Flautarvus and breeched the northwest gate!"
 
"Indeed! I am not surprised. A warrior of your legend was bound to take the measure of that giant at some point. Did you find a magical land on the other side of the gate?"
 
"Well, there was no one there. Just a statue. Then I was ambushed by the giant. He took me back, but I slew him with an arrow shot true."
 
Allutia paused. "Martius. Were you really on the other side of the gate?"
 
Martius looked down, fearing that he might be in trouble. "It was open. I did not see the harm in going through to see what was there. No one was there to stop me. No one was there at all."
 
Allutia was thoughtful for a moment and then regained a more joyful tone. "Well, good for you. We will all rest better knowing the evil giant has been cast from our midst. Well done, Martius. Now you run off and play now."
 
Allutia watched Martius skip away. She immediately sought out Artellian, the highest-ranking military man amongst the slaves.
 
"Artellian. I may have news."
 
"I am tasked at the moment. Make it quick." He had a normally short manner and with the weight of the invasion on his shoulders, he was less gregarious than usual.
 
"Very well. I believe that the army has left the city with but a minimal guard. Martius wandered through the open northwest gate and found no one on the other side. There is but one guard at the gate."
 
"Martius, the child? You bring me the scouting report of a child? What would you have me do? This is foolishness."
 
"I understand your responsibilities, Artellian. I am the daughter of a general. I have given you information that might indicate that this city is unprotected and ours for the taking. You might find that foolish. I find it at the very least interesting." Allutia's eyes bore into his with a scrutiny that he seldom encountered.
 
"Yes, of course. Thank you. I shall see to it at once." He turned as though the King of Persia himself had just given him instruction. There is a fire in an old soul that can burn when ignited. It transcends a temporary station in life and brings all lifetimes to bear.
 

~~~~~~~~~The Persian forces advancing towards the city
 

Artabanus motioned to Prath to join him. "These tricks are to be ignored. They are designed to distract. The need for trickery implies weakness. Strength marches in proudly with victory on its shoulders. Any further horns will be ignored. See to it."
 
"Very well, general. I am in agreement. Most wise."
 

~~~~~~~~The Roman forces advancing towards the Persians
 

Tibertin motioned to Cardasius. "I want our forces divided. I want a battalion to the east and one to the west. I want horns to announce their movements. See to it."
 
"But… commander. Where is the surprise if they announce their attack? We are short-handed as it is. I must advise… "
 
Tibertin held up his hand. "This is all known to me Cardasius. It is known to the Persians as well. I have seen to it. Now, do as I ask. Watch and learn." He rode to the front of his men. "Forward all!" He began to sing. "We march, we march to victory. None dare stand in our way. Our swords inscribed with destiny. And on this course we stay!" His own voice could not be heard above the voices of his men.

 
~~~~~~~The slave quarters
 

Artellian approached Flautarvus standing guard by the northwest gate. Flautarvus, though not the giant Martius made him out to be still stood over six foot tall and was a powerful man. Artellian used stealth and speed in battle and it served him well.
 
The guard did his best not to belie his trepidation at the slaves approach. He knew Artellian both by reputation and through personal interaction over the years. They were not friendly, however Flautarvus was even handed in his dealings with slaves, so there was no particular animosity between them.
 
"A quiet day Flautarvus. I can hear a birdsongs in the courtyard. Do the Romans rest today?"
 
"A day given to rest is earned on occasion, Artellian. I am but a soldier and not privy to the workings of such things." Why does he approach on this day? Suspicions? There was an uneasiness to his manor. An air of superiority was maintained, but it seemed more feigned than real.
 
"I would say that the whole of the army slumbers leaving you in charge. You have been fair in dealing with my people Flautarvus. For that, I wish to spare your life. We know of the coming of our army, and it is clear that Tibertin has gone to meet it. A grave error on his part. Step aside now and we will assume control of the city in an orderly and peaceful way."
 
Flautarvus drew his sword. "Your assumptions are unfounded, my friend. I suggest you cease this folly at once. I'm a reasonable man, but I am charged to keep order and that is what I aim to do. That will begin with you I'm sorry to say."
 
To the great astonishment of Flautarvus, Artellian produced a sword from behind his back. "As I have stated, my friend, it is your choice."
 
Flautarvus did not hesitate. He came at Artellian with his sword in motion. Only cat like speed spared Artellian the brunt of its blow. The breeze, as it passed by his head, gave him a chill that surpassed any winter. From the shadows, a dozen armed Persians emerged. If the Romans had back up it would have arrived already. Flautarvus backed up to the gate with his sword drawn. There was no fear in his eyes. He was every bit the soldier he was rumored to be.
 
Martius screamed as he saw what had been his friend impaled on a crude spear. "NO!"
 
Allutia scooped him up and held him close with his eyes buried in her shoulder.
 
The Persians burst through the gate to the empty courtyard. "It is empty!" They shouted the news back into the slave quarters. Hundreds of men burst forth with weaponry, some crude, some finely fashioned and attacked the other gates. Resistance was very little in all cases. The Roman soldiers did not yield without a fight. The casualties among the Persians were small.
 
The Roman citizens occupying the city were more easily convinced. In a very short time, the slave quarters were filled with Romans. The city was occupied completely by former Persian slaves. There was a vast garrison of weaponry and there were plenty of trained soldiers among now free Persian slaves. The troops soon to arrive from the south would be arriving in enemy territory. They would have no warning.




 



Recognized


At a neighbors house posting. They are thrilled! Hahaha. Thank you for continuing with the great input and support. I am enjoying this section quite a bit. I may become a gladiator!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.