Romance Fiction posted September 14, 2014 Chapters:  ...9 10 -11- 12... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Granfather tries to help.

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

CHAPTER SEIS, PART DOS

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Can these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Soni nodded in acknowledgement, stopped and glared at Jim, before she continued out the door with both large white dogs following her.

Jim propped his right hand on the chair's arm rest and pushed himself up. "If looks could kill, I'd be dead. I'd better get to my room before she returns. I don't want to cause a disturbance during dinner."

Alex raised his hand. "You stay put. Ray never held grudges. Let's see what his daughter does."

"I'm not sure I want to be the guinea pig." Jim sat.

TODAY'S POST:

After Soni washed for dinner, she sat beside Tatiana at the table. Goliath and Mack lay by Soni's feet. Alex and Jim sat across from the ladies and Kuruk sat at the head of the table.

Kuruk reached for Soni's left hand. Tatiana held her right, and the others joined hands. The blessing took place before Kuruk asked, "Sonsee-array, have you decided to keep Midnight tethered?"

"I can't, Grandfather. He's a free spirit, and it would crush his soul. He's always been allowed to come and go. Diego's watching him. We'll see who's more stubborn, a German Shepherd or a free spirited stallion. Anybody want to take bets?" She nodded at each person.

Alex passed the chicken across the table to Soni. "We have the empty stall at the north end. Maybe if you put some fresh vegetables in there, he'll think he's getting away with something and be content."

Soni took a chicken thigh and passed the plate to Tatiana. "Maybe we should hide them so he has to work. It's a good idea."

Jim accepted the potatoes from Alex. "This is a horse you're discussing, am I correct?"

"Yes, Soni's dad gave her a gorgeous black stallion for her twenty-fifth birthday. He's named Midnight. The problem is, this horse has a mind of his own. Only Soni can ride him. He allows Gus and myself to care for him, when it suits him. He loves to escape and eat from the garden or just wander around the ranch. He returns when he's ready. We've tightened security measures, including the livestock, but no idea what to do with this wayward horse."

"If you turned him into a gelding, he'd be less of a problem." Kuruk dished himself a healthy pile of potatoes.

"No way." Soni glared at her grandfather.

"Just a suggestion. It would solve your problem." Kuruk took a bite of potatoes.

Soni's eyes met Alex's. "What did you two discuss today?"

"I'm guessing you're referring to Jim and me. We discussed the headlines in the paper. It seems Jim's an avid reader."

"That's nice." Soni set her fork down. "What are you reading?"

Jim cleared his throat. "I stay informed on current events."

"Like the war in Afghanistan? Politics? What are you most interested in?"

"I study Latin American drug cartels, mainly Mexican."

"Why does this not surprise me?" Soni rolled her eyes. "Ever since I found you at Big Grizzly, the Rockin' A's being investigated for drug and human trafficking, and you just happen to be a specialist in drug cartels. I told you earlier I don't believe in coincidences."

"I never said I was an expert. I said I enjoyed reading and learning about them. There's a huge difference."

"Not in my book." Soni set her napkin beside her plate and scooted her chair back. The two dogs stood.

Kuruk touched Soni's arm. "Stay seated, my child." He leaned back in his chair. "I think it's time I shared some folklore with you." He wiped his mouth with a napkin. "Once upon a time, a lion used to prowl in a field where four oxen lived. Many times he tried to attack. Whenever he got close, they turned their tails to one another. The lion was met by eight horns. Well, for some reason the oxen quarreled with each other, and each went to live by itself in a separate corner of the field."

"Grandfather, I know what happened, the lion ate them one by one. This isn't an Apache legend."

"No, it's not. It does have a message we should live by. Nothing good ever comes from quarrelling."

"But...." Soni sighed. "Okay, I've been rightfully chastised." Her eyes met Jim's. "I'm sorry. I've been rude to you."

"It's just as much my fault. My secrecy hasn't made it easy for you to trust. If I could, I'd answer your questions." Jim studied his plate. "Please don't ask any further questions. You're safe as long as I don't answer." He got up and headed toward the guest room.

Kuruk stood. "Jim, wait."










Recognized


Thank you google images for an image of lion and oxen. Next week I'll start writing from my notes, I'm sure posts will be shorter and probably have more errors, if that's possible.. Thank you for reading and reviewing. I'm still making numerous errors and need all of your help. If you have not read from the beginning, you WILL be confused. I don't redefine each character in every post.

PS: A.J. one of my huge orange tabbies is helping me post. He's responsible for any errors this week. LOL He either sits in front of the screen, walks across the keyboard, or lays on my hand when I use the mouse. It doesn't do any good to move him, he returns.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.