Humor Fiction posted August 27, 2014


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
423

Love Your Suit

by michaelcahill

FANSTORIAN ANIMALS Contest Winner 















"Hey, Baa Baa, entering the "Free Verse Poetry Contest?"
 
"I don't know. Should I? How 'bout you, Lobo?"
 
"Sure, I'm entering. You should write about how you'd follow your family over a cliff, a sure winner."
 
"Oh, such a kidder, I wouldn't do that."
 
Lobo smiled. "Here's what I have:

 
My family left me high and dry
I found some lamb chops
no longer do I cry
I love my mutton family
they look delicious
if I made a stew then their nearby presence would be, aarrrooooo, propitious.
 

Well?"
 
"It sounds more like you want to eat your family than love them."
 
"It's a metaphorical personification. I'm replacing boiling flesh for the warm glow I get seeing my family. See, it's about love. Love of my delicious family."
 
"I think mine's more straight forward:
 
The green meadows stretch forth to the horizon
dreams lay beyond captured in twinkling lights
that arrive with the silver orb that bids our eyes to close
through squinted lids, I see single lights escape
I know that these are dreams come true
one day, if I am clever enough, I will capture one
for my family to share. but, I always fall to the orb's spell
then my eyes open and the lights are gone
but, they will return, I know, and I will try again.
 

How's that, think the howling reviewer will like it?"
 
"Well, let's find out."
 
Lobo walks towards a square building with smoke coming out. A wolf sneaks up behind Baa Baa and sinks its teeth into Baa Baa's head.
 
"Oh!" Baa Baa exclaims, "I'm seeing stars".
 
"Better go into the rest area and take a nap."
 
Once inside Baa Baa begins to cough "It's smoky in here… hard to breath."
 
The reviewer bites her on the head again, killing her.
 
"How'd you get her to the smoker?"
 
"She's a poet."
 
"Don't tell me- free verse? Where's yours?"
 
Lobo hands it over.
 
"You're not eating."
 
"AARRROOOOOOOO! Why not?"
 
"Your meter's all over. Rhyme… forced. The content sounds like a wolf wanting to eat a flock of sheep. Not low key. The constant smiling and drooling are bad enough. Now, poetry about eating your fellow sheep?"
 
"I get tired of writing about wool and being in a herd and being herded and following each other like sheep. Duh! We are sheep. Can't I just rip a few to shreds and end this charade?"
 
"Hey, you're the one that wanted to impress your reviewer. Now you're complaining?"
 
"So, I'll win?"
 
"Of course, It isn't about quality."




 


Writing Prompt
Please write either a story or poem with the theme of 'Fanstory' imaginary ANIMAL members (NOT human and AT LEAST TWO of THEM) who are considering entering a site contest/prompt, PLUS a reviewer/voter included in the write - may be human or not.

In other words, show the entrants' writes and the reviewer/potential voter's reaction to them.

Minimum 125 words.
Maximum 425 words.

'Definition' above Title MUST include word count, but absolutely nothing else.

Accompanying artwork is allowed, but NOT in the main body of the entry.

Entries MUST be only in white background with PLAIN black type - no highlighting of words, or italics etc.


FANSTORIAN ANIMALS
Contest Winner

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.