Romance Fiction posted August 17, 2014 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Soni discusses Hughes with her area managers.

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

CHAPTER CUATRO, PART DOS

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Can these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

When Alex returned, he said, "Hughes checked the area around the stables and the helicopter. He asked what had been parked beside it. Just as I was about to answer, Gus parked his truck there. I'm guessing he somehow knows about Jim. Not only that, I think he just did a search without a warrant."

"We have nothing to hide. Maybe he's the person Jim was speaking with two nights ago." Soni hesitated and then said, "Alex, call the area managers and Grandfather. I want a meeting at," she glanced at her watch, "one o'clock. We're under siege." She, Alex, and the two dogs went into the den and closed the door.

TODAY'S POST:

A little before one o'clock, Tatiana and Soni set out a variety of sandwiches, chips, iced tea/lemonade, fresh fruit, and homemade cookies for the cowboys.

It wasn't long before the first area manager arrived. Soni showed him the assortment of food. "Please help yourself. We'll meet in the living room."

Alex rushed to Soni and whispered, "Juan and Ed were coming up I35 and found a man whose description sounds like Jim. His Suburban was loaded with bullet holes and had rolled off into that deep gully south of Big Grizzly. He has a bullet in his left shoulder. Looks like he's been there since he left. He's in pretty bad shape. They're bringing him in. They should be here in about twenty five minutes."

Soni used her thumb and pointer to massage her temples, and then petted Goliath. "He just left about twenty-four hours ago. That man can't stay out of trouble. I doubt Grandfather will bring his healing bag."

After hesitating, Soni asked, "Will they have trouble with the law for messing with a crime scene?"

"I doubt it. If it's Jim, he probably won't want the authorities involved. Remember, he didn't want a doctor last time. Besides, you own that gully. I have an idea what to do with the suburban. We'll discuss it later."

"I hope you're right. We don't need any more problems with the government." As Soni said that, the two cowboys carried Jim inside.

Juan asked, "Ma'am, where do you want him?"

Standing at the open door of the guest room, Soni pointed to the bed. "His usual room."

Goliath sniffed Jim as the men carried him through the doorway.

When Kuruk arrived, Soni kissed his check. "Grandfather, our visitor has returned. This time with a bullet in his shoulder. He might have been ambushed. His Suburban was in that gully south of Big Grizzly. He could have more injuries."

The Shaman went straight to the patient and examined him. "The bullet needs to come out. I'll need help."

"Will Alex and Tatiana be enough? I'll move the meeting to the den. We'll talk over dinner."

"That will work." Kuruk nodded toward Soni. "He's going to need Ray's sipping whiskey."

"It's in Dad's bedroom. Nobody's used it since he died."

Soni returned with a full bottle of Wild Turkey. "This is all I could find." She handed it to her grandfather.

After removing the lid, Kuruk slightly lifted Jim's head. "You're going to need this."

"You taking out the bullet?" Jim's eyes met Kuruk's.

"It's me or a doctor, your choice."

Jim took a long swig of the whiskey, closed his eyes, and puckered his lips. "I guess you." He took another.

Soni left the room, closed the door, and addressed the area managers, "Thank you for coming on such short notice. I hope you helped yourselves to refreshments." She glanced at her watch. "We'll begin in ten minutes in the den."

*****
As the men filtered into the den, Soni passed each one a copy of the paperwork she'd been studying. She waited until the last man entered, and then closed the door. "I know it's a tight fit but I feel Grandfather needs privacy while he helps the gentleman Juan and Ed found alongside the road."

Goliath and Mack squeezed in by Soni's feet.

"This morning Robert Hughes from Homeland Security paid the ranch a visit." Soni explained what Hughes had said and what the implications were for the ranch and the ranch hands. She added, "Everything said here needs to be passed along to the cowboys you work with. Please make sure you and the men have evidence of US citizenship on you at all times and the same for the family members living on Rockin' A. If you have visitors from another country, make sure they have the proper and up-to-date papers."

Soni moved from behind the desk to the large ranch's wall map. "Hughes wants to arrest Grandfather for drug usage so he can close down the reservation. I guess the government wants all the Native Americans on Federal Reservations."

A long silence ensued, before Soni said, "As for your part in this, if you see anything suspicious, report it. If you're found with drugs not only do you have legal problems, you've automatically lost your job. Please remember when you were hired you signed an agreement that this is a drug-free environment.
Are there any questions or comments?"

Ben raised his hand and after Soni acknowledged him, he asked, "I was lookin' at these papers you gave us. They look like they're security measures. Is this because of that Hughes guy?"

Soni's eyes met Ben's. "They are security measures, but they may be for a different reason."




Recognized


Thank you google images for a photo of sandwiches. My summer vacation is over and I report to work tomorrow. My time for reviewing and writing will be limited but I will do my best. My posts will probably be shorter starting next week. Thank you for reading and reviewing. I'm still making numerous errors and need all of your help. If you have not read from the beginning, you WILL be confused. I don't redefine each character in every post.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.