Supernatural Poetry posted August 17, 2014


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
My time's run out...

A Dapper Crow of Blackest Coat

by Dean Kuch





~A Dapper Crow of Blackest Coat~


 photo ornatescrollbar-001_zps79ad3602.jpg





 


Imagine, to my great surprise, when sitting there, before my eyes

a dapper crow, in blackest coat, I watched him change whilst this I wrote.

He cawed, but just a time or two, then from my windowsill he flew,

returning once again to gloat, this dapper crow in blackest coat...

 

Tis true...


 

A mist appeared beneath his wings, I heard sad songs, as someone sings

when mourning one who's gone to rest; his stare held me, I must confess.

You realize when I am near that I have come for you, my dear.

To usher you beyond the veil.” His amber eyes grew cold and pale...


 

He knew...

 

A Murder of Crows photo crow1_zpsd27ae39e.gif



Tis not wise to keep resisting,” this dapper crow of black stood glistening,

then calmly swooped down from the sill, “Come with me now, you must. You will!”

I threw the covers o'er my head, as he drew close, I filled with dread.

He loomed low,  just o'er me, "For I was sent to come for thee.”

 

Fear grew...

 

I couldn't think; what could he mean? My body shook, his black eyes gleamed;

I shivered 'neath warm blankets, cold, yet he went on, so brave, so bold...

I'll find you now where e'er you go, unwise to put me off, you know,

End this now, your time has come”... I touched his wing, my mind went numb.

 

No clue...


 

Should I allow myself to go, to plunge into the depths of Sheol;

why would I consider it?,” tho' scribed in blood, my fate was writ —

He ripped the blankets off my bed, then lingered just above my head,

his talons gripped, I sought release, lo' as we raised, my heartbeat ceased...

 

 photo weflew_zps11848296.jpg
 

 photo scrollbartoo-001_zps805daaa8.jpg



 




Recognized


Sheol [shee-ohl]

noun, (in Hebrew theology}
1.the abode of the dead or of departed spirits.
2.(lowercase) hell.


According to Raven in Mythology: "The association of the birds with death and war is an obvious reflection of its tendency to eat carrion, plenty of which is to be found in the aftermath of battle. This tendency led, eventually, to the persecution of the raven, as a harbinger of doom and destruction, and also to the common notion in modern European culture that the main attribute of Crow and Raven is their connection with the Otherworld.

For centuries the corvids, ravens and crows in particular, have had a special place in the mythology of various cultures. In modern times this fascination has barely diminished. From Edgar Allen Poe's literary classic to the film of James O'Barr's cult graphic novel "The Crow", these birds still exert a powerful hold over the psyche of a significant fraction of the population. The Goths, who paint their faces with white make-up, and the weekend warriors who expect the Raven to take them to the Otherworld to meet the dead, do not see the same animal as the farmers who set up decoys in order to shoot large numbers of them every year in late spring. This is, however, typical of a creature that presents a paradox wherever one looks.

This poem is based upon I dream I had last night. I seem to have a predisposition to dream of birds as harbingers of doom lately... Much thanks to Domino2 (Ray), tfawcus (Tony), Father Flaps (Kimbob) and Just2Write (Rose), for their kind suggestions, and in helping to make this a better read for everyone. Well, everyone who decides to give it a shot anyway. I hope I haven't forgotten anyone...

As always, thank you very much for reading.

Pleasant Screams...
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Dean Kuch All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Dean Kuch has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.