Reading Up Next: Skip This One

 General Fiction posted July 30, 2014


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
for the fanstory contest what if...

What if....

by cupa tea

"What's that noise?" I looked around. "Where am I? Wasn't I just making a salad in the kitchen?"

Coming straight at me from down the road in a Brobdingnagian snow storm was a huge truck! It was really dark outside. If not for the trucks headlights, I knew I would not have been able to see the snow falling. However, the cold, I felt that right away.

I glanced around me looking for a place to step aside when the big truck finally reached me, which I was sure wasn't going to be much longer.

The road seemed to be the only place I could stand that wasn't covered in snow up to my ass. I shivered and stuck my sneaker footed shoe into the nearest snow bank hoping to slip in and to keep from being hit.

As my foot stepped into the snow it hit a frozen patch of ground, sneakers were not made for ice and so I found myself falling face first into the snow bank. The scream I let out frightened even me as I tumbled downward towards the packed snow.

The truck, I'd been trying to avoid being hit by, came to a complete stop just inches from where I'd fallen according to the sound of its tires skidding across the snow covered road. The snow it'd been pushing aside as it moved fell upon me and covered me in a fresh layer of frost.

Not long after that I felt a hand grip my shoulder and pull me upwards. I didn't move. Already my un-gloved fingers felt like they were frozen and they refused to move. My bare legs felt like two frozen sticks attached to my body for some unknown reason.

"Miss?" The driver whispered to me in a soft voice filled with a rich accent I didn't know. "Let's get you out of the cold before you freeze to death!" Quickly the male figure picked me up into his coat covered arms and carried me to the passenger side of his truck. I was unable to thank him because my jaw was shaking so hard I couldn't get any words out.

After a few moments of trying to get the door open without putting me down he finally managed it and swung me up into the seat and closed the door behind me. Within seconds he emerged from the darkness and flopped into the seat next to me. Quickly he wrapped an old wool blanket he had in the back of the truck around my shoulders.

"Wrap yourself up in that." he said gently. "I've gotta get this truck rollin' or we might found ourselves in a heap of more trouble with frozen ice."

I felt the truck jerk as it shifted into gear and began moving forward.

I wrapped the blanket around me and nuzzled under it like a frozen chicken. I was sooo lost. Hadn't I just been making cookies in the kitchen?.....

 photo iceroadtruckers_zpsf64848f6.jpg

Light came into my eyes as I opened them and clean fresh air entered my nose as I took a deep breath. The scent of wild flowers followed the fresh air and the sound of birds overhead followed sounding like Greek Gods bellowing out orders to the masses below them.

I moved my head away from the blinding sun and found myself gazing at a field of wild flowers peppered with weeds blowing back and forth majestically as if they were the rulers in this fine field of flowers.

"Where was I?" I questioned myself. "Wasn't I just in a truck half frozen to death somewhere in the dark, or had I just been in my kitchen making cookies?"

"I found mom first!" A young man's voice rang out capturing my ears for the first time. "So, it's your turn to count!" The same voice screamed as it approached my place in the grass.

A blonde head of hair popped into view among the ruling weeds and triumph flowers, it was covered in earth.

"Mom," the young man moaned quietly as he sat down next to me, in clothing which made me think of 'Little House on the Prairie,' and disappeared in the wildflowers with me. "It's Sara's turn to count, and she is refusing." He crossed his arms and frowned.

"Well," I found myself replying just as another blonde head appeared in the sunshine above the fragrant flowers. This one was just a bit shorter then the one talking to me now. "It's his turn!" She bellowed out as she too flopped down on the ground on my other side....

 photo wildflowers_zps6a587e35.jpg

"Give me those numbers quickly!" A voice yelled at me from above the computer screen I saw in front of me. "We are about to go into melt down! Quick!!"

"Numbers?" I mumbled glancing at the screen before my eyes. "What numbers?"

A large hand pushed me aside and began yelling out numbers from the screen in a loud panicked voice. My chair rolled away from the screen and stopped at the end of the paper full table where other people, with computers, seemed to be typing information into computers from those papers in front of them in a mad rush.

"Hadn't I just be lying in a field of wildflowers talking to two kids who seemed to think I was their mother?"....

 photo meltdown_zps2a015db6.jpg

"Hey lady!" I glanced up from the potato chips I seemed to be eating into the face of a blue suited red faced cop.

"Move along!" he shouted and pointed over his shoulder with his thumb. "We don't allow folks to sit around here eating." He glanced over his shoulder and blew his whistle at someone across the street.

"Move along buddy! It's a busy inter-section!"

I dropped the food I assumed I'd been eating and brushed the crumbs from my filthy, holey clothes. I took a sniff and realized I didn't smell well either. How could I stand smelling myself like this day in and day out?

"Take your trash too lady!" The red faced cop said to me, "what do you think this is a garbage dump?" His long fat finger pointed down at my empty chip bag like it was the long arm of the law; but then again I reasoned wasn't it?
Just to my left I saw a shopping cart filled to the rim with useless junk. Two individuals dressed exactly like me in dirty, holey clothing seemed to be fighting over it.

"It's mine!" the woman with uncombed blonde hair full of knots screamed. "I filled it up just this morning!"

"No you didn't, missy!" The other lady huffed as she put her grimy hands on her hips. "I've been pushing this here cart around for weeks!" She pointed at a ball of old clothing in the bottom of the cart. Them's my change of clothes!"

The arrogant cop stepped into the conversation. "Ladies," he brushed his face with a finger to rid it of an annoying fly, "I don't care whose cart it is! Get it out of this inter-section right now!" His firey blue eyes gazed at them in such a hateful way that I suspected he was hoping they'd catching afire before they left.

I stepped up to him. "Excuse me..."

 photo bag-lady_zpsabb7a39e.jpg

"Everyone reattach your air hoses we are coming into the atmosphere! I repeat we are coming into the atmosphere! Prepare to disembark!"

"Disembark? Wasn't I about to argue with a puffed up police officer?" I asked myself.

The costumed person next to me helped me attach my air hose. The in-flight sign begin to flash brightly as the ship tilted forward declining so many miles and then leveled off. I felt my stomach pitch forward and this made me feel ill.

"Aren't you glad we decided to move to Saturn?" The speaker in my suit asked me. I assumed the voice was coming from the person next to me.
"Sure," I replied back in a brittle voice. "Couldn't be happier..."

"We will be stationed on the circuit city in the clouds and just have to do our mining chores once every few cycles."

"Mining chores?" I asked, daring to fear it was exactly what I thought it was.

"Those new buggies can dig up anything and we don't even have to get our hands dirty." My companion remarked as I felt the ship pitch forward and then level off again after we dropped a few more miles.

"Gay couples are A'ok here!" the voice remarked. "Aren't we lucky?"

"Gay couples?"....
 photo galaxy_zps153c5c9c.jpg


'What if' before you were born God let you experience, for a little while, 5 different lives you could live before you were born into them, because you flunked survival in your past life. Your goal in this new life is to prove you know how to survive. Which would you choose?

1. Ice Road Truckers-Alaska born-survival
2. Little House on the Prairie-the hardship of surviving in the early years
3. End of the world-survival
4. Bag lady-city streets-survival
5. New worlds-gay marriages and new world survival.



What If? contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. cupa tea All rights reserved.
cupa tea has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.