Romance Fiction posted July 27, 2014 Chapters:  ...3 4 -5- 6... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Soni makes a decision.

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

CHAPTER TRES, PART UNO

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Can these two find love?
CHAPTER THREE

Soni woke up to Goliath's low rumbling growl. "I hear it too, boy. What's going on?" She glanced at her alarm clock. Two-thirty! After slightly adjusting the curtain to the side, she watched Jim talking on his cell but couldn't make out the words. Who's he talking to and what's he talking about? He walked inside. "What's he doing now?" When she heard his bedroom door close, she got out of bed and went into the living room. Both dogs followed.

Alex stood near the front door. "You heard him too?" He raised a finger to his lips, reminding her to whisper.

"Yep. Any idea what's going on?"

"No, I'm going back to bed. Maybe we'll find out in the morning."

*****
The following morning, Alex and Tatiana were already at the table when Soni entered the room. "Has any one checked on our visitor this morning?"

"He was awake early. I took him coffee and breakfast. I figured if he could walk outside he didn't need clear broth." Tatiana set her napkin on the table. "Are you ready to eat or just coffee for now?"

"I'll get it myself. Enjoy your breakfast." Soni walked into the kitchen.

After clattering of dishes, Soni joined Alex and Tatiana at the table.

Alex didn't look at Soni, but said, "You made plenty of noise in there. How about telling me what's on your mind?" He sopped up runny egg yolk with a piece of biscuit.

"I'm in charge of this entire ranch, all 725,000 acres, and I don't have a clue what to do about Jim. Dad would know and would have already done it." Soni plopped into the chair.

"You're doing great. You delivered a foal yesterday, attended the land development meeting, and both went well. As for Jim, we don't know anything. I'm sure if there comes a time to act, you'll know exactly what to do. For now, enjoy your breakfast and don't worry about things you might never happen. " Alex took a drink of coffee, empting his cup. "I'm going out to see how Dulchinae's doing. Come out when you're ready."

Soni watched Alex saunter out the front door. "I guess I deserved that little lecture, didn't I?" She stared at her plate.

"Alex loves you like a daughter. He wants you to succeed. It's unusual for a female to run a ranch this large and to do it well." Tatiana reached over and touched Soni's arm.

"You would've been a great mom. You always know what to say to make me feel better." Soni placed her hand over Tatiana's and their eyes met. "Can I ask a random question?" After Tatiana nodded, Soni continued, "Why didn't you and Alex have your own children?"

"We wanted children. The Good Lord decided it wasn't meant to be."

"Now, eat your breakfast. I need to go to town and get groceries. I want the dishes done before I leave. I'll see if Jim's done." Tatiana left the kitchen.

*****
After Soni finished breakfast and did paperwork, she and her dogs went to the barn. Alex held a pitch fork. Soni smiled. "It looks like you got stuck with cleaning the stables."

Alex used a kerchief to wipe his brow. "Gus went to get a load of feed for the horses. Somebody has to do it. Where you off to?"

"I thought I'd saddle Midnight and go for a ride." Soni petted Dulchinae's muzzle. "You're soft, girl." Soni offered her a carrot before she petted Midnight. "Want to go out today, boy?"

"Want company?"

"Thank you, but not this time. I need to do soul searching." Soni picked up a saddle blanket and put it on the stallion's back.

Alex followed the saddle and tightened the girth.

"You know I can do that, don't you?" Soni slipped on her riding gloves.

"I know. You started saddling your own horse as soon as you were big enough to reach their backs. Just thought I'd help." He took a rifle from the gun case and handed it to her. "Keep it handy."

"I may not be back in time for lunch, so don't send out the troops." Soni grinned. "Besides, I'll have the boys with me."

"They never leave your side and once Goliath figures out how to ride in a helicopter, he'll be there too." Alex petted the large dog.

"I think he knows how, he's just afraid of heights. Adios." Soni climbed up onto the solid black stallion. "I have my cell." She patted her leather vest pocket and then strolled off with Goliath and Mack by her side.

*****
In the early afternoon, Soni found herself at the Rockin' A cemetery. She stepped down from Midnight, set her riding gloves on the saddle, and dropped the reins, allowing the horse to nibble on what grass he could find. The two large dogs guarded from under a shade tree.

Soni knelt between her mom and dad's graves. Tears welled in her eyes and trickled down her cheeks. "I miss you both so much. Dad, I'm trying my best to keep the ranch running like you would. I need your guidance."

A cloud blocked the sun casting a shadow over the gravestones. Soni glanced up as she wiped tears from her cheeks, and then continued, "On my way home from Laredo, I found an injured man. He'd fallen off Old Grizzly onto the yuccas. They stabbed him pretty bad. I brought him home to heal. He may be dangerous."

Goliath nuzzled Soni, before she added. "Should I call the sheriff? But I really don't know anything, except he had an arsenal with him. Or should I just wait for him to leave? Grandfather ministered to him and said he felt he was good, but surrounded by evil. What should I do? You always knew how to handle all situations. I'll wait for your answer." She hung her head, and her shoulders sagged.

Moments later, Soni sat straighter. "Grandfather, how did you know where to find me?"

"How did you know I was here?" Kuruk smiled at his granddaughter.

"You can't answer a question with a question." Soni turned and smiled. "You can always tell when I need help. How do you do that?"

"Your answers are found within the Naiyenesgani. Listen to his guidance."

the Great Creator. How can I hear him?"

"You are half Lipan Apache."

"But only half, Grandfather." Soni stood.

"That is enough, my child. Your mother's bijii is strong in you."

"I can feel Mother's heart, but I was raised by my dad. He was of German descent. His ancestors came here straight from Germany. A large part of who I am is from him, Alex, and Tatiana. They're both Mexicanos."

"Listen to the Great Creator." Kuruk sat on the ground and motioned for Soni to do the same. "Now take a deep breath to clear your mind. In the silence, you will hear the answers you are looking for."

*****
After a long silence, Soni opened her eyes and searched the area. "Grandfather? I know he was here. Wasn't he?"

Goliath lumbered to Soni and laid his large head in her lap. She smiled before she petted the furry white dog. After standing, she prayed silently over her ancestors' graves. Turning she said, "Midnight, ready?" Soni petted Mack and said, "Yes, you're a good boy too," before she mounted the horse. As the black stallion walked, Soni said, "I know what I must do."



Recognized


Thank you google images for a photo of two grave stones.
Thank you for reading and reviewing. I'm still making numerous errors and need all of your help.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.