Commentary and Philosophy Fiction posted July 27, 2014


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A reason to fight - 300 words

More than a shirt

by lancellot

Prose For Fun Contest Winner 

Blood shot from my nose like water from a hose. My eyes watered, blurring my vision, but I still saw the boot coming back for a second kiss. I moved left, and Juan’s foot slid by my head.  I felt his coarse laces slap my swollen cheek.

There I was, half naked on my knees in a pool of my own blood. All around me feet and fists rained down. Just beyond the storm my friends and classmates watched like stone statues.


I thought I was going to die just like my dad. Unlike him I would be killed by foreigners in my own country, because I chose to wear the American flag. As the boys shouted, kill him, kill him, I heard the Principal’s voice again.
****

“It’s just a shirt, Bobby, don’t make this more than it is,” he pleaded.

“My dad died for this flag, for this country, for freedom. I don’t wear this shirt just to honor my country. I wear it to honor all the fathers who won’t return. I shouldn’t have to hide it because some illegal…”

“Bobby!” He raised his finger. “We don’t use that word here. We are a tolerant district that values diversity. Cinco de Mayo is their cultural…”

“Shouldn’t they be tolerant of my culture too?”

“I can’t protect you, if you won’t be flexible.”
****

But, I was flexible. I reached out and grabbed Juan’s passing leg, and sank my remaining teeth deep into his flesh.  His boys tried to pull me off the screaming gang leader. They did, but a chunk of meat went with me. It was costly.The last time I saw that shirt, was when the Latin Kings ripped it off. In the end my body was red, white and blue, but I lived.  Hoorah, Dad.
 


Writing Prompt
Write a story, in 300 words, or less. Somewhere in the last chapter, enter and complete this sentence:

The last time I saw that shirt . . .

Prose For Fun
Contest Winner

Recognized


http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/mar/25/congress-members-back-us-flag-against-schools-ban/?page=all
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. lancellot All rights reserved.
lancellot has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.