Horror and Thriller Poetry posted July 23, 2014


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Don't think there's horror in war? Think again...

Tiger Shark Terror

by Dean Kuch

100 Word Horror Contest Winner 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Steaming silently from 'Frisco Bay

the deadly cargo that she carried,

to tide Japan's Imperial sway;

Hiroshima's horror's what she ferried.



Torpedoes tore through her hollow hull,

nine-hundred crewmen went in the water,

her missions secrecy caused a lull,

without rescue came bloody slaughter.





 photo Indianapolis1_zpsf8ca3160.jpg



 

Sharks feasted on fried human flesh,

while doomed sailors fought hard to stave them.

All but three hundred and seventeen men,

died before anyone could save them.



Seas swarmed red with bodies and blood,

a sad story told to remind us —

would wars be waged, if only we would

remember the Indianapolis...


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Writing Prompt
The challenge is to write a poem that contains some form of horror or thriller. No more than 100 words.

100 Word Horror
Contest Winner

Recognized


99 words

The heavy cruiser Indianapolis steamed out of San Francisco Bay just after dawn on July 16, wrapped in a heavy cloak of secrecy. In her belly, she carried the atomic bomb that three weeks later would be dropped on the Japanese city of Hiroshima. She raced, unescorted, to the island of Tinian where she unloaded her lethal cargo on July 26. Her mission accomplished, the Indianapolis then began a journey into Hell that would end with the worst naval disaster in U.S. history.

At a few minutes past midnight, on July 30, two Japanese torpedoes tore into her side, igniting an explosion that broke the ship in two. It took only twelve minutes for the ship to dip her bow, roll to starboard and slip beneath the sea. Of her crew of 1,196, an estimated 900 survived the explosion - but the worst was yet to come.

As the Indy was on a top secret mission, few knew of her deployment. It was not until Thursday, August 2nd before any rescue planes spotted the survivors. A tally made at the completion of the rescue revealed that only 317 of the original estimated 900 who escaped the sinking ship survived their ordeal. The rest succumbed to their injuries, drowned from exhaustion, or were eaten by sharks. This is a true horror story of the utmost dimensions. One can only imagine how those brave men must have felt...

As always, thanks for reading!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Dean Kuch All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Dean Kuch has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.