Romance Fiction posted July 20, 2014 Chapters:  ...2 3 -4- 5... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Jim's vehicle is found.

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

Chapter DOS, Part DOS

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Can these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"I handed it to you before we left for the helicopter. I haven't seen it since." Soni paused. "If it's really important, I'll send some men out to Big Grizzly to look for it."

With eyebrows furrowed and a clenched jaw, Jim answered, "It's not important."

Tatiana offered Jim more broth. "Take some more. You'll heal faster."

Soni opened the door. "I need to check on some things. I'll be back later." I know he's lying. I need to find that notepad and see what he's up to.


TODAY'S POST:

Soni entered the dining room and saw Alex and her grandfather still at the table, talking over cups of coffee. "I'm glad to see the dishes are done. I wouldn't want to make Tatiana upset." She smiled and then asked, "Alex, have the men returned from finding Jim's vehicle, yet?"

Alex shook his head. "No. I was about to call them. Need something?"

"Would you ask them to search around the yuccas for a small, black, spiral notepad?" Soni used her hands to show the small size. "It's about three-by-five inches."

"Why? You lose something?"

"Jim asked about it." Soni watched Alex take his cell from his jean's pocket, and then glanced at her grandfather. "When you were with him, what did you feel?"

"He is a good person but surrounded by evil."

Before Kuruk could finish, a couple of ranch hands escorted the veterinarian through the front door.

"Hello, we're over here." Soni waved her hand.

The three men came closer as Gus said, "The vet checked out the mare and two foals."

"How they doing?" asked Soni.

"You did a great job for your first time. I couldn't have done better myself. You have two, fine, new Quarter horses on your hands. Have you named them?"

"Alex usually names them, but I'm keeping the male. I think I'll name him Amigo. He's my buddy." Soni glanced at Alex. "What about the female?

After a long sip of coffee, Alex said, "Mima."

Soni smiled. "Attractive girl. That suits her perfectly."

"I need to get back to town. I'll be out in about a month to check on those two. If you have problems, call."

Gus and the other ranch hand turned toward the door.

"I'll come too." Alex followed.

A few moments later, Alex returned. "I spoke with the men. They found a black Suburban. It wasn't locked. So guess what?" He chuckled. "Pedro said the Suburban's one of the easiest to hotwire, but those newer models are still a pain. I sent the right men for the job. They say it looks like a government or some other kind of official vehicle. They're looking for the notebook. It shouldn't take long."

Soni's right pointer finger followed the etching of the ranch's brand, a capital A on a rocker, on the back of the chair as she thought. Tatiana walked into the room, muttering in Spanish.

"What are you talking about?" asked Kuruk.

"That man will be gone by morning."

"He won't get very far by foot. The mountain lions will get him for sure." Alex chuckled. "There's not a lot of meat on him, either."

"Why would he leave? He's not being threatened." Soni poured herself some coffee. "Decaf, I hope."

"He's probably got some sort of a job to do and is worried about being late." Kuruk stood. "Speaking about being late, I need to get back. Before I leave, I could give him some medicine to help him sleep."

"No, that wouldn't be right. If he wants to go, we should let him." Alex stood beside the Shaman. "I'll walk you out. A couple of ranch hands will escort you back. Nighttime can be dangerous."

Kuruk turned toward his granddaughter, "Ka Dish Day" and kissed her cheek.

"Until we meet again, Grandfather." Soni put her arms around his neck and held for a few moments.

*****
When Alex returned, the men he'd sent after Jim's vehicle followed him inside the ranch house.

"Leave it to the government to invest in a vehicle that's easy to hot-wire. It's parked in the garage by the copter." Pedro held up an M40A1 sniper rifle. "Look what we found hidden under the floorboard in the back. And check out what else we found." He pointed to his buddy, who carried a M249 squad Automatic Weapon (SAW) and a bullet proof vest. "Oh yeah, I almost forgot." Pedro took the notepad from his pocket and handed it to Alex. "He must've dropped it getting out of the helicopter."

Soni grabbed and hugged the pillow that set beside her on the couch. "Why would anybody need that much fire power? Who are his enemies, or is he the bad guy? What do we do? Do we confront him now? Or wait until he's feeling better?"

Alex thumbed through the notepad. "There's only numbers and letters in here. Maybe it's a code. You checked him for weapons, right?" Alex glanced at Soni.

"I did. I gave you what I found. All I left him with is his cell and wallet. Maybe I should've taken them too."



Recognized


Thank you google images for a photo of a Quarter horse foal. Maybe Amigo resembles this little guy. LOL I'm still making numerous errors and need all of your help.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.