General Non-Fiction posted April 29, 2014


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A review; Nationa Geographic DVD, 2008

Sea Monsters-A Prehistoric Adventure

by healfromwithin

I thoroughly enjoyed viewing the DVD documentary, "Sea Monsters: A Prehistoric Adventure" (National Geographic, 2008.) This film is based on ancient "Sea Monsters," recreated with the help of computer imagery. In this program, you follow a "Doli" (or Dolichorhynchops) from birth all through her life cycle, as she faces natural challenges at various stages of her development.

Some of the photo-realistic creatures created are gigantic and awesome; you almost feel like you are swimming among them. The underwater scenes of one fish feeding upon another and the chain of life segments are effective and feel realistic.

Parts of the documentary portray several different paleontologists over time discovering various marine life, in places such as Kansas and Texas. These pieces are done well, reenacting how scientists have learned what we know about these amazing sea creatures. By studying unearthed fossils and bone, scientists now understand where and how these animals lived. The human parts are not "stuffy" or boring, and make these animals real.

The accompanying music (by Peter Gabriel and the Footnote) and sound effects are well done, complementing the program. Narration is performed by Liev Schreiber, and is clearly spoken. Originally seen in IMAX and specialty theaters, this documentary has been formatted to fit widescreen and full screen televisions.

I would recommend watching "Sea Monsters-A Prehistoric Adventure" with your kids that are ages 7 and up. This program is satisfying, even for adults. The film is worth your time to watch-it's educational and entertaining.




This is a Digital Video Disc review for National Geographic's "Sea Monsters-A Prehistoric Adventure." (2008, DVD) Funded by the National Science Foundation.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. healfromwithin All rights reserved.
healfromwithin has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.