General Fiction posted April 5, 2014 Chapters:  ...38 39 -40- 41... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
More survivors including an air base.

A chapter in the book Yosemite

Good Vibes

by michaelcahill




Background
The world has been almost destroyed. Survivors in Yosemite fight to keep the small portion of the world that is theirs.
The survivors have found out how to use the equipment in the bunker and have transmitted a signal of their own. Stranded campers from all over the area have responded and come to the bunkers. The mood of everyone is strangely upbeat and happy. Johnny is contemplating that fact as we continue the story.


The mood at the bunker astonished me. I knew where my awesome mood came from. Hooking up to that equipment with Christine had affected us. Maybe it was our already deep connection. I suspected Christine stood outside the boundaries of normal. She reported things that none of us experienced. We felt her presence during the transmissions. I felt her presence now.
 
It sounded crazy in my mind as a thought, let alone spoken as an idea. Perhaps Christine influenced everyone's mood through those transmissions. Maybe she stimulated some kind of positive energy. Jesus, Johnny, get a damn grip. You sound like a straight to video Disney movie.
 
Nikolai waved me over with "the look" on his face. I needed to come up with a name for that look. "Pleased" didn't cut it. Perhaps, "blissful restrained-euphoria". I'd work on it.
 
"What is it? Did the Dodgers win the pennant?" I loved seeing him ignore things that had no meaning to him or sluff them off.
 
"Yes, of course. Rah, Rah. Now, the real winners are on the end of that microphone, Johnny. Say hello to Edward's Air Force Base."
 
There was a little static, but the transmission was quite clear. "This is General Scopes, is this Johnny?"
 
"Yes, sir. It is good to hear a friendly voice coming from my hometown, sir." I meant that sincerely.
 
"Well, Nikolai there has been debriefing me on your situation, Johnny. You are doing a helluva job, son. We are hanging on as best we can here. But, we've been flying blind until this very moment. We have some fuel reserves here, Johnny, but I regret to tell you, we can't just raid the Shell station and fill-er-up. So, we're limited in how many missions these birds have in them. We wasted one already. Nikolai says we caused quite a stir."
 
"Yes, sir. You did indeed, sir. We have some kind of attack coming. We aren't exactly sure what it is. We think it's by sea. There seems to be an aircraft carrier, so there's that also. I'm sure Nikolai told you about their weapon."
 
"Yes, son. We've been duped by that already. But, fool me once as they say. Well, Johnny. There isn't much to cross the ocean with of concern. Hell, we're right in your backyard. Five hundred miles isn't an eye blink to a stealth bomber. But, we can't go back and forth. We need to know when and I mean when for sure. We can shock the sand out of their desert if we know when to do it."
 
"You've got me hoping, General. I'll let you talk to these folks here that speak your language. We're all in this together for once. I'm starting to like our chances, sir."
 
I handed the receiver back to Nikolai. Carlos, Turner and several other soldiers from the Russian and American troops were there mingling together. I couldn't discern any thought of them or they, only we and us. I thought back to a time in my childhood when there were thoughts of super powers destroying the world. Funny, what remained of the super powers now held the survival of a free world in their hands. A bunch of crazy people it appears had practically destroyed the earth.
 
Information and news of survivors started to pour in. There continued to be concerns, mainly on my part, that we would tip off the enemy if we got to chatty. There was no stopping communications though. The curiosity overwhelmed us. How could I say no when I wanted to know just as bad as anyone else did?
 
Linda, Jen, Annie and Lacy all had been receiving transmissions from around the world. Christine, Ma, Lester and myself were trying to piece it all together into some kind of picture that would tell us what the world looked like now.
 
Linda seemed the most anxious to speak. She had been concentrating on the continental U.S. and Canada. "The farther north we go the more stable things seem to get. Then it turns to chaos again. Waterways are completely over their banks and new lakes and rivers have formed.  Dams have burst, but other areas are almost unaffected. Parts of Canada are without damage of any kind and parts of the United States as well. Vast parts of the United States are destroyed. I mean completely destroyed, Johnny. Gone. Underwater or unlivable. Christ, Florida, the east coast, the west coast…well we can look and see some of that here. But, even here, in California, many areas survived the initial disaster. Look at us."
 
"I thought about that, Linda. If Edwards is still there, then our houses might be as well. Have you found anyone in Lancaster?"
 
Linda smiled, "Not Lancaster, but Lake Los Angeles. There's some miners out there with CB equipment and generators. They were underground when the attack, if you want to call it that, hit. They stayed down there for a week before poking their heads out. Same as here. They climbed to high ground and saw survivors, but were afraid to move. Eventually a camp formed and they have a little community there. They're scared, Johnny. They couldn't believe their ears when they heard me answer their call."
 
Annie jumped in. "It's cold everywhere I talked to. Not freezing, just cold. Forty, fifty degrees. But, that's where winter has usually hit big time by now. The Dakotas, Minnesota and most of Canada. The weapons didn't affect Canada, but the melted water wreaked havoc. Streams turned into rivers, brooks turned into lakes, you get the idea. Northern Canada melted for the most part and poured down on the rest of the country. But, there are a lot of survivors and many Americans are there too. They say the President is there. But, I can't get a clear answer."
 
One of Ma's group came running up to Ma and whispered something in her ear. She motioned me over. Christine came with me.
 
Ma looked pensive for her. She spoke, "with that new lookin' equipment we's can see a good distance now. Lester sez he's seein' visitors comin' quite a ways out there. He sez maybe a couple days the way they's a goin' now."
 
"Can he see how many ships or what kind?" My pulse was racing.
 
"I guess we best go see fer ourselves. He's a askin' fer ya." Ma was already up and ready to go.
 
Christine and I joined her. I instructed the others to start working on maps and getting numbers and names in some kind of organized books.
 
From Half-Dome, we could see a great distance out to sea. The air itself was crystal clear now. The reddish color of the sky seemed to be higher up in the atmosphere. I could see that there was a large fleet of ships coming. I couldn't make out details, yet. They had just entered the field of view. There could be more that hadn't reached the line of sight yet. It already had enough size to give me chills. It was a large force. Whatever plan we came up with, preventing them from reaching shore was a necessity. If they managed to get their forces on the ground thoughts of the Alamo found an unwanted berth in my mind.
 
I knew that their message came through every two or three hours now, sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. What message could we send that might give them second thoughts about landing on our shore? We needed to give them the idea that this wouldn't be a nice place to visit. 



 




Survivors continue to be found. The enemy appears to be on its way. The survivors need to find away to stop the enemy and they need to find it quickly. Suggestions? Always anxious to hear your input and ideas. Critique is welcome also. Thank you for all of your help. Your reviews have made the difference!!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.