Essay Non-Fiction posted March 21, 2014


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Using the resources and a few ramblings as always.

Learning How To Write, Right Here

by michaelcahill















Why are you reading this? Some of us are already exchanging little winks. We know that some of you aren't reading this. We know that you have peeked at a couple reviews, paraphrased and taken your $1.04 (and maybe more) and moved on to the $1.02 that is next.

What is the point? I understand you're a thief and find yourself clever. I agree, it is quite the height of criminality and brazenness to heist imaginary money from under my nose.
 
*Whatcha gonna do with all that loot, Homes? Promote your poetical speakings? Focus, Mikey. Tangent alert! Those that are reading this know the gist of it. All of the above is a pointless exercise that gains the perpetrator nothing and certainly does us no good either. So, we can pause here, have a group whine, and move on.
 
Back to the original query, why are you reading this? "The money", is a legitimate answer and, no doubt, the main answer. That is fine, nothing wrong with that. A responsibility comes with it though. I have hired you to read this. I'm paying you for your opinion and asking you for whatever help or advice you can give me to improve this piece and improve my talents as a writer.

If you can't offer thoughts for improvement then, is there something good about it? Is there something about my ability that you think I should pursue and develop? Guess what? I don't know what is wrong or right. That is why I posted it here with the little message that said,

"Please, God, help me! I have no clue what is good or bad about what I write. Anybody, for the love of God, could you just read this and give me an opinion on it? I'll give you some fantasy money and declare myself your BFFF! (best Fanstory fan forever, Duh.)
 
Do you want to learn how to write, or improve your skills?  Okay, here is what you do. Simply follow these steps.

 
#1: Write. Write all the time about everything. Write in every style, even ones you do not like or are not good at. Can't think of a topic? Look at the front page of our site. Write about the topics in the contests. Write entries for each one; you don't have to enter them. 

Out of ideas? Read the number one story and poem and write about those ideas. Then go to the next one and the next.
 

#2: Learn how to spell and use punctuation. I cannot believe I am writing that. Have you run across a word in a book spelled incorrectly? What is your reaction? Is that the reaction you seek for yourself?  Would you pay attention to a writer that doesn't know the difference between "there" and "their"? I am poor in this area and learning every day. No, I don't want to look like I can't spell or write a proper sentence. I want people to read my work without having to stop and make corrections.

There are also classes available taught by experts in various areas for a small fee. Anything from dreaded punctuation to the art of the sonnet. Check them out.
 

#3: Seek and accept help. This site has people that are  willing to help you with your writing. Do you want to improve? That is available to you here. Every error can be pointed out. Every sentence you scribe that is unclear can be called out to the light for scrutiny. Every illogical twist and turn of your beloved story can be pointed out.

Fixes can be shown to you. It may not be with a pat on the head and a little kiss, but it will help you improve. Are you tough enough to take it? To be candid, it might rip your tender little heart out and make you cry (and that's the guys). Still interested?

I was. I survived too. Hell, I've healed with but a few scars pointed to with pride. For God's sake, there are excellent articles available here about writing; detailed, excellent pieces that you can read for free. You can ask the authors about the articles and discuss them. Here's a radical thought. You can READ their work! There's a good way to learn how to write, osmosis.
 
"Hey, Mikey, how much does this service cost, Forty bucks an Hour?"
 
"Why no, Billy Wordsless, it's only seven bucks a month!"
 
"Yee Haw! What is they, crazy?"
 
 
 
#4: Help others and review. Pass on what you learn. That does two things. It is of great benefit to someone seeking knowledge. It also reinforces lessons learned by using them and imparting them to others. Along with the practical benefits of reviewing (money and points) comes the opportunity to see the lessons learned in action.

There are excellent writers here. Study their prose and poetry. See what hooks you. Be helpful in your reviews. Some writers aren't going to need a lot of critique. However, they would still like your personal impression of their work. What stood out or affected you personally? Is there something specific their work illuminated? Nothing is more rewarding than touching someone or making them laugh.


#5: Respond to reviews.  This is often overlooked. It is the height of rudeness to dismiss the time and effort of a fellow writer by not responding courteously to a review. This is your best opportunity to learn and cultivate friendships with fellow writers. Don't waste it!


#6: Do not be intimidated by ratings or status. I do not agree with some that say they are meaningless. However, they certainly are not based purely on skill. I can assure you that I am not the third most-skilled writer of prose on this site. ("Yes he is, he's being modest...shhh") Nevertheless, I'm pretty good and I write A LOT!! The ratings do reflect that. They mostly reflect my participation. Anyone can participate.

Let me say that again. Anyone can participate! If you are interested in rankings and the like, then join in. Write and post, review and promote, that is the main way to achieve ranking. As a bonus, it is an excellent way to improve your writing as well!

I have improved greatly since I started in August of 2013. I have a long way to go. This formula works for me and will continue to work. I do love the irony that I am "rated" ahead of some of my own mentors. (I'm sure they find it just darling as well.) No, I'm not a better writer. Why would I be begging for their help if I was? Make no mistake though, I am working on it!
 
Finally, not everyone on this site is here to improve their writing skills. That is fine. It isn't up to us to convince anyone otherwise. If they wish reviews that aren't critical, what is the harm in giving them what they wish? It isn’t a crime not being a great writer. It isn't a crime not caring about improving. I say we live and let live.

In that vein, those that receive an unwanted critical review need not have a cow over it. We will discover who you are soon enough and not offer anything of a critical nature.

There are plenty of us willing to have our guts torn out to get better. Save the critiques for us. We want them. If you want them too. Ask and ye shall be ribboned. Seek and ye shall…hmmm…a little help here?


 



Recognized


Some random thoughts as I always have them. Mainly a guide for the new member on how to use this place to improve their writing ability. Being new myself, seems like I haven't left steerage yet and I can relate to being new. BTW, I have added a little bit to this based on feedback and suggestions. Fanstory at work!
*An American slang phrase meaning what are you going to do with the money neighborhood resident. Sorry to those that have no idea what in the world it means!

By the way. I've been editing based on suggestions and reviews as they come in instead of waiting. This is improving before my eyes. The process in action. I wish I had the original post to compare it to so you could see the actual improvement all from feedback from this site!!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.