Horror and Thriller Poetry posted February 5, 2014


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The sea holds many deadly secrets. I am just one of them...

The Fateful Voyage of Martha Moriary

by Dean Kuch


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.

~The Fateful Voyage of Martha Moriarty~


 photo 1609691_10152302517555934_570798968_n_zpsc015314d.jpg

 

Avast, ye mortals, gather 'round, for a tale I have to spin.

Aye, listen closely of truces bound, blood sealed, in mortal sin—

Things abide deep in the sea few living men have ever seen...

Pitiless, a human's soul, the only treasure they yearn to glean.


I 'm as ancient as the mountains, I'm as endless as the skies;

an eternal evil fountain— spewing an endless web of lies.

My name is not important, you know, I've been forever here,

you too will know, as most tales go, when you feel my presence near... 



Martha Moriarty—a classy lass—well bred, with length of bone,

boarded Her Majesty's Dreadnaught class, for a northern journey home.

Deep into her journey, a Man-O-War, besieged the Dreadnaught's bow;

poor Martha, who'd once thought she was safe, began to wonder now.

 

“Off port!” came the hearty battle cry, “She's comin' round to bear.”

Martha saw, through the blinding squall, Jolly Roger waving there.

“Cannons at the ready!” cried ship's Gunner's mate, “Keep your powders dry!

Look lively, lads, steady now—it's not the day we wish to die.”

Courageous Captain photo tumblr_myw14nscnF1s25wd7o1_5001_zps9cda1543.gif

Good captain rallied order quick, but Man-O-War held the upper hand.

Employing all of her deadly tricks—soon, the good ship's crew was damned.

Unable to muster a single shot; from cannon, sword or bow,

ship's crew, like it or not, were doomed for Davy Jones' locker below.

 

Thundering thuds of cannon fire echoed deep across the brink;

split the wooden hide on her starboard side—the mighty ship began to sink.

Young Martha, raised Catholic by her folks, prayed one simple, silent prayer...

“Powers that be, I beg, spare me... from the horrors of this despair!”

 

Alas, poor Martha didn't know the one listening was purely vile,

The captors ran to the hold below—beheld the demon's frozen smile.

“This-s-s treasure's mine,” the monster hissed, “ I have spared her wretched life.

Take all the gold, every drop of rum, I'm taking this-s-s one for my wife!”

 

Flames spewed forth from salty air— in an instant; they both were gone,

the sight created such a scare, each man fled like a feeble fawn.

The thieves took the good ship's booty, left her floundering in the sea.

Despite the duty, just what they'd seen, not a one of them could agree.

 

Yet, I was there, deep beneath the sea, having gone down long ago,

Maratha’s corpse is buried now where all we sea dwellers choose to go.

Her soul now wails on in agony as her mortal body rots,

Martha lies here—with me now—a puppet for all my twisted thoughts.

Sea Demon photo cca5719debc6b977a5f982297d6bfac5_zps88c8a6e7.jpg

 

If you find you're out to sea, moon glow's forsaken the darkened sky,

listen closely, lasses...you might hear... a dainty young maiden's cry.

A new young gal I'm seeking, you see, so make sure your faith is true,

Or I'll rise up from beneath the sea, and my next bride might be you!

 

 
 



Recognized


The vast majority of the earth's oceans and seas are unexplored. Is it really hard to believe that there are creatures that live so far down or in such remote areas, that they are rarely, if ever, seen by humans. The waters of this planet go mostly unexplored. It is very easy to hypothesize that we have not come close to cataloging all the creatures that dwell in these waters.

There has been many a sailor who has told stories of seeing strange creatures while on the high seas. Are these just ramblings or are they actual eye witness accounts of creatures yet unknown to science. August 6, 1748, on board the Daedalus in the Atlantic Ocean, 7 men including the Captain recorded in the ship's log of seeing a creature about 60 ft. long and 15 inches in diameter. A mane of a soft looking material flowed down it's back. The creature's body was a dark brown in color and it's throat area was a yellowish white. The creature was swimming approximately 15 MPH with its head constantly above the water. In modern times a creature matching this description has been seen off the coast of California by many reputable witnesses... .

Are these cursed tales only legends, or are the stories of ghostly pirates and their hidden demons true? Only the fated Dreadnaught's Captain & his mates can answer that question for you, but unfortunately, they're long dead.

May the wind be at your back and the doubloons be in your pockets as you journey into the realm of the abyss that was Martha Moriarty.

Arrrgh! Go on ya' filthy bilge rats... head on into the boat house and be far warned!

This was written ta' give yer timbers somthin' ta' shiver 'bout!

Happy sailing!





Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Dean Kuch All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Dean Kuch has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.