Humor Poetry posted September 22, 2013


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The iambic pentameter conquered!

Another sonnet - Aussie Style

by tfawcus

Oh, strewth! Our sonnet lacked iambic form!
So now we'll have to start again, my friend.
We'd better ask that bush-whacked poet, Norm,
Who'll know the way to mangle and to bend

The words to please that purist FanBook crew.
We'll have to buy the bastard beer (a lot),
Because our scansion, like a kangaroo,
Was hopping all around the blasted shop.

We can't rhyme 'lot' with 'shop' you great galah,
They'll have our guts for garters for that gaff.
They're sure to drop us down at least one star.
Oh shit! Let's do it for the bleeding laugh

I think we've got the scansion right, mein Gott,
But now the sodding rhyme's gone all to pot!



Recognized


Following our recent 'Sonnet Aussie style' which received high accolades as well as a number of whinges about lack of iambic pentameter, Geoff and I decided to have another go. Learning from the experience of the first sonnet, here are a few explanations of the Aussie vernacular:
'Bastard' - an Aussie term of endearment
'Bush-whacked' - Aussie slang meaning 'unsophisticated' or just an 'ordinary bloke'
'Strewth' - a mild Aussie oath expressing surprise. A contraction of 'God's truth' (Aussies generally prefer not to use two words when one will do.)
'Galah' - (pronounced in Australia with the stress on the second syllable '-lar' to rhyme with 'star') a loud, rudely behaved person, fool, (named after the bird of the same name which flies south in the winter - a bloody silly thing to do in the Southern Hemisphere)
'mein Gott' - a German exclamation meaning (surprise, surprise) 'My God'. We just dropped that one in to acknowledge the many intrepid German settlers in South Australia - especially those of the Barossa Valley who make the best wine in the world.
'laugh' - a word which, if you really stretch it, can be made to rhyme with 'gaff'. (Try saying 'laff')
'Kangaroo' - the scientific name for what most Aussies call a roo (a hopping marsupial much famed for its boxing ability)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. tfawcus All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
tfawcus has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.