General Fiction posted September 2, 2013 Chapters:  ...14 15 -16- 17... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
the Kolk find a way in

A chapter in the book Pale Sisters

Nurses

by Bill Schott


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.
The author has placed a warning on this post for sexual content.


The Magfas have spent centuries breeding selected humans to a desired genetic preference. The Kolk are an ethereal race that inhabit humans and are trying to defeat the Magfas goal of a being perfected to a point of superhuman capability. The births of three girls with extraordinary molecular makeups will be the crowning moment of the millenial endeavor, and the beginning of the end for the world.  
 

Beatrice Lindsey had been a nanny since she came to the United States from Puerto Rico. She worked out well with several families and had been referred to Winston Lee with glowing recommendations. Having no children and being single, she lived on the estate and spent every waking minute with Virgo. She cherished the little girl and knew, by her light brown skin, that she wasn't the natural child of the Lee's. Virgo's real origin was of no concern to her. She was just drawn to the child and, over the last two years, had been with her constantly.

At three years of age, Virgo had gone from a tricycle to a twenty-inch spider bike. She spoke in excellent sentences and had picked up Spanish easily from Beatrice. The nanny also noticed that Virgo was far beyond the games and toys of other children her age. She would ask to look at 'big people books' and would sit and read novels from cover to cover.

Surely, she was a gifted child with an intellect and maturity that, added to her genuine warmth and delightful personality, had stolen Beatrice's heart.

Her tiny sister, Libra, was much the same. She was a lighter skinned child, but bore a definite resemblance to Virgo. They were sisters, no doubt. How they were related was the question, but one Beatrice had decided not to ponder.

Emily Pollar was Libra's nurse and always kept strict attendance with her. She even slept in the same room with the child, placing her with the toddler twenty-four hours a day.

The mansion was highly protected and the children seldom left it. When they did, either Beatrice or Emily would go with them, and at least two, casually-dressed security personnel. Such was the case when the limousine pulled out through the main gate and headed for the city.

Libra, only two years of age, had one day touched the keys of the piano that Emily was playing a tune on for the young girl's enjoyment. Setting the small girl on her lap, she allowed her to play with the keys and make whatever sound she liked. What she did next was to amaze Emily and, in turn, the child's parents.

Instead of the playful banging of the keyboard, as Emily had expected, the choppy sound of the tune she had just played was heard. Though not hitting all the proper keys, the two-year-old had imitated the tune recognizably. Emily's mouth went agape as the child then began another tune she had heard earlier.

When this was reported and demonstrated to Amanda and Winston Lee, they were equaly amazed.
"We have definite indicators of success here," said Amanda, realilizing that the Magfas plans really had reached the generation of action.
"For the sake of an unbiased, outside opinion," said Winston, let's get an expert in here hear her play."
Having learned that a prominent piano virtuoso was playing in the city, they had requested he come to the estate and listen. The musician politely declined, citing scheduling difficulties, but offered to hear the young pianist at the concert hall prior to his performance.

Eager to have the child evaluated, the offer was accepted, with the regret that they would have to send the child with her nurse and escort, due to their similar busy schedule. So, they went on their way to the city and the hall.

Emily held Libra's hand as she toddled into the large building and up to the stage. Oneof the escorts proceeded them and the other followed the nurse and child. A tall, slim woman greeted them at the orchestra pit. "Thank you for coming," said the woman. "The maestro will see you in his preparation room back stage. "

They followed her through the corridor towards the rear of the building. One of the two security men evaluated the woman's figure from the rear and thought that she was a fine-looking lady. It was a pity, he thought, that her left eye was squinted and glossed over. In all other aspects she was a beauty; long blond hair and all.

Without warning, as they approached the door to the prep room, the woman spun around and leaped towards the men. A straight-arm blow to the first one jammed his nose into his brain.

As he fell, the second security man reached for his gun that he kept in a holster on the back of his belt. The woman threw an unblocked fist to his throat, collapsing his larynx and sending him to the floor gasping for air. He died within seconds.

Emily pressed against the door, with Libra behind her.

"Emily!" came a voice to the nurse's mind; a voice that sounded like her own. "Listen to us closely."

"Who are you?!" Emily screamed, looking all about for the person speaking. "What do you want? Why has this woman attacked us?"

"Emily," the voice came again, this time softer, "we have come to release you."

"What are you talking about?" cried the confused nurse, tears running down her face as she pushed Libra further behind her.

"Listen to us Emily. You are not in danger. We are here to help you. We are your friends."

Emily couldn't speak. Frightened and confused, she worried about what would happen to Libra if she were killed. She wondered if she should attempt attacking this woman, who had just killed two huge men with a single blow each.

It was several seconds before she began calming. The situation was beginning to lessen in its severity. A force beyond her insinuated a warm sense of security.

Libra had walked out from behind Emily, who had released her protective grip. Looking at her nurse, and then to the other woman, she said, "My name eh eebwa."

"Hello, Libra," said the woman with the foggy eye. "My name is Linda."

As she spoke to the child, the Kolk spoke to Emily in another medium.

"Emily," the voice went on,"we need to take your body."

"But, what of me?" asked the nurse, without speaking.

"We will welcome you into our world, Emily. One that is filled with peace and rest."

"Will I be able to return?"

"No, Emily," was the gentle reply. "but you will never wish to."

"What of Libra?" she asked.

"We will protect her," said Linda audibly. "We will care for her as you did, with a loving, guiding hand."

"Will I ever see her again?"

"One day, yes. She will be with us all."

"Then I will go," she said surrendering. Within a heartbeat she was gone.

Linda McCoy's body dropped to the floor. The life that had sustained it, fled.

"Faw down," said Libra, pointing to the body of the motionless woman.

All that was memory to the former Emily Pollar was continued to the present tenant. She reached down for the child and picked her up. She walked quickly with the child to the front of the hall and shouted for help. An attendant came and, hearing the story of the attack, hurriedly phoned for the police. Emily then phoned the estate to tell Beatrice what had happened.

She could now enter the estate of Winston Lee in one of his own vehicles.



Recognized


Thanks to KathyEB for the photo
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.