General Science Fiction posted August 30, 2013 Chapters:  ...11 12 -13- 14... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Diana meets Vincent

A chapter in the book Pale Sisters

Vincent

by Bill Schott


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.
The author has placed a warning on this post for sexual content.

Amanda has adopted Sophia's children. Diana has been pardoned and sent to work for the Magfas, and Linda has escaped city hospital and is headed to save the Pale Sisters.
---------------------------------

"Are you new?" came the question to Diana Camp, as she sat at her desk outside Victor Edam's office.

Looking up she was pleased to see that the clear, manly voice had come from a fine looking, well built, and handsome young man.

"Yeah - er - yes," she returned. "I'm Diana, the secretary."

"I'm pleased to meet you, Diana the secretary.," he said with a beautiful smile. "I'm Vince, the son."

She now realized that this strapping, athletic, blue-eyed Adonis was Victor's son from Harvard. His sandy hair was held in a flawless wave by the slight use of hair oil. He was wearing a V-neck sweater with a shirt and tie beneath, and exuded the subtle aroma of cologne.

"Your dad - er - father," she stammered, trying to speak formally, "isn't in right now."

"Who?" he asked jokingly, as he sat at the corner of her desk, leaning in towards her. "Oh yes, Father. Well, all the better. That will give me more time to find out all about you."

Diana couldn't believe she was blushing. After all that she had been through in her life, she was suddenly feeling like a young innocent again. A feeling she had left behind on the night she had found her father crawling in bed with her ten years prior.

"Mr. Edam should be back in soon. I believe that he's in conference with a Mr. Rivera somewhere in the building."

"That is very interesting," commented the young man as he mocked a yawn. "I hope they have a fine chat and do great things; now, back to you."

The two talked for an hour in which time Diana revealed that she was single, unattached, and she reluctantly added, pregnant.

"Where's the father?" asked Vince, seeming genuinely concerned. "He must be crazy or dead for him not to be around."

"I'd rather not talk about it."

"Oh brother!" spouted Vince as he jumped to his feet. "It's not dear old Dad is it?"

Diana began to giggle and shook her head. This man was making her so relaxed that she almost felt that she could tell him all about the circumstances that had placed her here. But as she thought about her father, the prison, and the murder of the guard, she knew she could never tell anyone. She felt suddenly solemn and then distressed. She saw this attractive young man in front of her, who was, in reality, a million miles away.

"I'm terribly sorry if I've made you uncomfortable, Diana." Vince said, noticing her sudden silence and withdrawal. "I hope I haven't exhumed any better-dead memories."

"No," she said, returning to reality and forcing a smile. "It's just hard to explain and I'd rather not try."

"Good," he said with a grin. "Then I can monopolize the conversation talking about myself. How about dinner?"

"I'm not sure that's a good idea," she answered, barely able to conceive of it. "I don't think your father would like it very much."

"What's not to like?" he came back. "I'm paying the check; I'll be in the company of a girl of whom he obviously approves; and, if we have too much wine and end up in the hay, I can't get you pregnant."

Diana laughed out loud as Vince chuckled along. It was then that the door opened and Victor Edam entered the room.

"Vincent!" he chirped, as he held his arms out wide. "What a jim-dandy surprise."

"Hey Pop! How's the leader of the industrial world doing?"

"We are setting the pace that will secure us at the top," he replied. "We will soon be the recipient of the largest contract for mechanized armament ever issued."

"Pop, Pop, I didn't mean to get you going on the business. I'm glad you got the contract that you wanted so much. I know how hard you've worked for it. But, you know, I have some really big news for you."

"What, boy what?" begged the elder in anticipation.

"Diana has agreed to have dinner with me," he stated with a smile.

"Diana?" Victor thought aloud, trying to place one of his son's acquaintances with the name.

"Yes," Vince continued, "But she hasn't got a thing to wear. Perhaps you should give her a raise? "

The situation was suddenly illuminated with the candle power of a nuclear flash, as Victor realized about whom his son was speaking.

"Diana!" he yelled, startling everyone including himself.

"Gee, Pop" Vincent said, in a calming tone. "I was only joking. Forget the raise."

"That's not funny!" thundered his father. "Diana, you're excused. Go home! Stay home!"

Diana flushed and sprang to her feet. She was headed to the door when Vince barred her way in a gentle attempt to stop her. He looked back at his father in disbelief of what he had just heard.

"What in the hell is going on with you, Pop?" he demanded.

"Vince, please," insisted Diana as she pushed past Vince and around his father. She was out of the closing door, leaving Vincent staring at his father with a displeased and questioning glare.

Victor Edam had no intention of explaining the real reason for his actions. He searched now for a story that would fill in as an explanation for the one person in his life to whom he thought he would never have to lie; the only person that he really cared about. The one he would give the world to - as soon as he possessed it.

 



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.