General Fiction posted August 16, 2013 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Amanda has Sophia's girls.

A chapter in the book Pale Sisters

Winston

by Bill Schott


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.
The author has placed a warning on this post for sexual content.


Background
Sophia Pale has been married, widowed, assaulted, given birth, kidnapped, assaulted again, arrested for murder, imprisoned, witness to murder, raped in prison, and has met a strange new person.
Winston Lee strolled down the corridor to his senior vice-president's office. As he entered, Cy Blaise was just hanging up his phone.

"The word from Washington is that the Viet Cong will launch a major offensive at the beginning of Tet."

"Who's that from?" asked Winston. "The Cheese or the Nile?"

"Edam," reported Cy.

"Anything from Rivera?"

"Background on the 'on-deckers' and such," Cy answered.

"Anything about the third child?"

"Out in July," said Cy.

Just then the intercom buzzer sounded. Mr. Lee's wife was in his room. Winston stepped lively down to his office, which took up the space of four regular ones.

There she was, his loving new wife, the former Miss Amanda Pale.

"How are the girls?" he asked.

"Virgo is with the tutor. The nanny has Libra."

"Are you here because you love me, or is there news?" he asked as he pecked her on the cheek.

"It's about the baby.  The background check of the prisoners and staff is back. Everyone from the Warden and the Chaplain to the bookmobile driver check out as genuine."

"Well, that's good to h--"

"But! On the prisoner side, there is one discrepancy."

"Where?  Who?"

"McCoy. Linda McCoy."

"Where's the break?"

"1944.  Two sets of papers were signed the same day. One on the birth of a baby girl and one on the still birth of a Siamese twin connected to it."

"What of it?" Winston asked. "Is there some clue to something there?"

"They gestate as two, but leap to one at term."

"It's in the prison now?" asked Winston. "Where? We should be able to eliminate it rather simply in that arena."

"I am going there myself to find out.  I need to visit my niece to see what she knows or doesn't know."

"Or what she suspects," he added.

"Suspects?" Amanda Lee held back a chortle. "No one suspects. Who would? Who could?"



 



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.