Romance Fiction posted February 24, 2013 Chapters:  ...32 33 -34- 35... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 8, part 4

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs North as these two attempt to find love.
Previous post:
Nala glanced at Paige. "We can't do anything about hate, but we can do something about Paige."

Cash's eyebrows rose. "What?"

"How did he know Paige broke her ankle?" Nala's hands set on her hips.

"Exactly what did he say?" Cash stared at Paige.

"He said he came by because he'd heard I'd broken my ankle and wanted to see if he could help. I asked how he knew, and he said somebody at the hospital told him." Paige studied Cash. "Do you think he's spying on me?"

Today's post:

"Maybe." Cash clenched his jaw. "Walker could've helped you back to the house."

"Why weren't there footprints in the mud and tracks in the house?" Billy Joe asked.

Cash rubbed both temples with the palms of his hands. "I don't know. Maybe he cleaned up." He glanced toward Nala. "Were any cleaning supplies moved or missing?"

"I didn't notice." She stood. "I'll check."

Paige watched Nala leave the room. "Why would Dr. Walker stalk me? It doesn't make sense."

"Because you're one good lookin' Northerner with a lot of money. We don't see too many of them in these parts." Billy Joe shook his head.

Morgan squirmed.

"I bet he needs out." Cash picked up the pup and turned to leave the library.

"I need to set up a vet appointment as soon as possible," Paige called after him.

"I've already taken care of it," Cash said.

Nala returned. "I just saw Mr. Cash and Morgan."

Paige nodded. "I have a feeling Cash needed some fresh air. Any cleaning supplies missing?"

"Everything's in place." She patted Paige's arm. "Do you really need to work with Walker?"

"I signed a contract. I'll see if I can get out of it. When I was hired, I hadn't met him."

A few moments later Morgan ran up to Paige with Cash following. "He did what he needed to." The puppy stood on his hind legs and tried to crawl up on the couch. "I'll help, little guy. It won't be long before you can do it yourself." He lifted the pup.

After giving Paige's face a lick, Morgan cuddled in.

"I've got a two o'clock appointment for the dog. I'll get what he needs. When you're on your feet, we'll switch the account." Cash glanced at his watch.

"I guess it's okay, but it would've been nice if you had discussed it with me. Morgan's my dog." Paige frowned.

"It didn't make sense to carry you to the truck, carry you around the vet's office, and then carry you back."

"Now the mutt's settled." Billy Joe's stare switched from Cash to Paige. "What we going to do about Walker?"

Cash glanced at Nala. "I don't mean any disrespect, but I think we need to wait-see what happens. Maybe Paige standing up to him was enough."

"What if he's stalking me?"

"I'll make sure it'll never happen again."

"If you see him, I'll call the police."

Cash laughed. "That'll be the least of his problems."

A sudden chill entered the room.

Billy Joe rubbed the back of his neck. "That air conditioner's mighty cold. We'd better take a look-see."

"It's gone haywire." Cash and his buddy left the room.

Morgan barked and wagged his tail as Paige smiled

Nala picked up Paige's lunch plate. "While you're researching family history, I'll take care of the dishes."

Paige glanced at the blue binder, pushed it aside, then touched Alice's diary. The answers I'm looking for are in here. She opened it and read. September 20, 1863. Bradley made it home and held my hand while our son, James Bradley Bookman, was born. Bradley named him after Lieutenant General James Longstreet. During this war, Bradley hasn't changed. Our love is as strong as ever.




Recognized


Thank you google images for the photo representing Civil War soldiers. Thank you for reading and reviewing. I am approximately halfway finished with the novel.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.