Romance Fiction posted January 27, 2013 Chapters:  ...28 29 -30- 31... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Cash and Billy Joe search for clues.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 7, Part 6

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs North as these two attempt to find love.
Previous Post:

"I want to show you something." Billy Joe paused until Cash stood beside him, then continued, "See that yonder oak tree? I'm guessing whoever helped Paige left footprints in that mud. We need to take a look-see."

"Good idea. As soon as Nala brings breakfast, let's check it out."

Today's post:

Paige and Morgan's footprints were easy to follow. Cash and Billy Joe soon found where Paige fell and rolled into the tree. Cash picked up a pink scrunchie. "Mom gave this to Paige yesterday. This is the spot."

Billy Joe searched the muddy ground. "I don't see any other tracks." He glanced up from the shallow ravine and pointed toward the house. "There's no way Paige got back by herself."

Fingering a heart carved in the tree, Cash read the names, "Bradley and Alice. Who are they? Think they ever lived in the house?"

"Don't know. Check the pictures in the library and see if the names match."

"I'll do that." Cash spotted something in the mud and bent to pick it up. "Hey, look at this." He carefully unfolded the damp paper. "It says Confederate States of America, five dollars, Richmond, Virginia, September 2 1861."

"It ain't neither. Let me take a look-see." Billy Joe grabbed the faded paper from his friend's hand. "Is that a bale a cotton? Why's that girl sittin' on it?"

"I think we need to do some research."

Both men hurried into the house and straight to Paige's room.

When they arrived, Paige smiled. "Hi, guys. Did you detectives discover how I got back to the house?" She took a bite of cantaloupe.

"That ain't no decent breakfast. Where's the biscuits and white gravy and the grits?" Billy Joe shook his head. "It just ain't right." He glanced at Nala, who smiled. "And you being born and raised in the South."

"I happen to like fruit, ham or bacon, and toast for breakfast. And sometimes even English muffins or bagels. Is that breaking a rule?" Paige laughed.

"Dadgummit! It ain't fittin for a wannabe Southern gal to try to eat that weak Yankee food."

Paige continued laughing as she took another bite of cantaloupe. "Billy Joe, I'll share." She offered him some. He refused and she continued, "Did you discover who helped me to the house?"

"Nope, we could only find Morgan and your footprints. It looks like a good breakfast to me." Cash chuckled.

"How's she going to heal that bone? She needs more substance."

The three stared at Billy Joe, as Cash held up the Confederate note. "I did find this and a heart carved on the tree with Bradley and Alice's name it. Any ideas?"

"Bradley Bookman was a former owner of this house. His wife was Alice. He died during the Civil War. He was shot at Chipa something."

"Chickamauga?" Cash grinned.

"That's it. History was not my strong subject. I think he died in 1863. I'm not sure about that. I could find out." She frowned and glanced toward the door. "If I could get to the library."

"If you promise not to walk around, I can get you to the library."

After Paige finished drinking her tea and Nala helped her dress, she called to Cash. He carried her downstairs.

*****
Just before they reached the bottom step, Paige turned her head toward a whimpering sound.

At the top stood a very unhappy puppy, trying but afraid to venture to the next step.

Paige's eyes met Cash's.

"Don't try that sad puppy dog eye look on me. Your eyes are blue, not brown. It won't work." He quickly glanced away and continued to the next step. Like hell it won't. It works all the damn time.

Billy Joe ran up the stairs. "Ain't no Southern pup gonna act like a scared Yankee. Y'all climbed up here, now get your butt down.

"Actually, we were both carried up here. Remember?" Paige winked.

After a sigh, Billy Joe tapped the step below Morgan. The dog sniffed his hand and wagged his tail. Billy Joe backed down a step and Morgan followed. "See, it's not too soon for him to learn about them steps." This continued until they reached the bottom.

Morgan let out a happy yap and ran toward Paige, wagging his tail.

Billy Joe picked up the pup and looked at his face. "He's a cute little booger. I can see how his sad little eyes can melt some hearts." He chuckled. "And Paige's too."

As they continued into the library, Cash glared at his buddy. "Tell me again why I let you work for me."

"Because I have sad puppy dog eyes; and you don't want Mary Pat to throw my happy butt out."

"You got the last part right. You'd probably end up on my couch." Cash put Paige on the couch. "I think you'll be comfortable here. You can elevate your foot with pillows. Doc said the more you keep your ankle up the faster the swelling will go down and the faster you can get your cast."

Billy Joe set Morgan beside her and he cuddled close.

Nala stepped into the library. "Mr. Cash, once I finish with the breakfast dishes, I'll stay with Paige and make sure she follows the doctor's orders."

Paige adjusted her rear end on the couch. "They weren't orders, just recommendations." She let out a deep breath.

Cash scanned the bookshelves. "Which one do you want to start with?"

"See that big dark blue binder?" When Cash acknowledged with a nod, she continued, "I think it's full of family history. I'll start with it."

"What about that Confederate note?" asked Billy Joe, as Cash handed it to Paige.

"Would you mind if I borrowed your computer for some research?"

"Go ahead." Paige opened the binder and began to read.

*****
After about thirty minutes, Paige yelled, "Cash! I found something!"

As Cash and Billy Joe rushed into the room, Paige was trying to stand.

"I got here as soon as I could." Cash helped her get adjusted on the couch. "What's so important you're risking hurting your ankle?"

Paige held her breath. "Ready for this? My ghost is Bradley Bookman."

Cash's chin hit his chest as his head dropped. "What?"

"Seriously, Alice writes that Bradley returned to help her with the delivery of their first and only child, James." She pointed to Alice's words.



Recognized


Thank you google images for the photo of an oak tree in Savannah, GA. I should have reused the image I used last week of the Confederate five dollar bill, but for some reason, I wanted an oak tree. Thank you for reading and reviewing.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.