Essay Non-Fiction posted January 17, 2013


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
some more advice

FanStory Experience

by Spiritual Echo

Perhaps it is simply because of year end, the rankings have been finalized and a new scoring system rolled back the scale, and put everyone on an even ground, starting at zero.

Maybe it's the sentimentality of the season, the New Year's resolutions that make writers on Fan Story measure the value of the site.

Some leave because they haven't got what they want from Fanstory. Others leave because they can't afford what they perceive is a 'rich man's sport.' Still others depart because they are bored or simply can't afford the monthly fees.

A few have been bullied, not always in the reviews. While the viewing process is transparent, everyone can read comments under the ratings tab beside each story, most of the insults and personal attacks occur in PM.

Let me address a few of these issues, but I'll start with my personal reasons for joining this site.

Over the years I took extensive and expensive writing courses in colleges as well as on-line. Although I had a passion for words and knew there was a dormant obsession to play with phrases, knit my own stories and essays, I did very little about it. I would enter the odd contest sponsored by newspapers or magazines, but I didn't take myself too seriously. Of course, if I didn't, I could hardly expect my friends or family to bow in reverence. I remember reading some of my doodles to people I loved dearly. They would patiently listen, smile, pat me on the head and resume a conversation about the world they knew where I represented something more obvious---a mother, daughter, salesperson or all around kind person. Those that have a different opinion of me, don't usually hang out at my parties.

Without a sounding wall or feedback, I found I wrote little. When I found Fan Story I discovered that I could read and write each month for membership fees that were less than the cost of a paperback novel. It seemed like a bargain.

My early posts are miserable documents of my need to bleed on the page; thinking my emotional need to write, my horrific childhood and clever turn of the odd sentence would be recognized, of that I was sure.

Someone, who was challenging me on every front recently, decided to read my entire portfolio. She sent back reviews that were not complimentary, but her biggest statement was about how she couldn't believe the number of technical errors which were scattered through my stories. She could not believe that I hadn't edited them and made corrections. She went on to say that my negligence in not doing so was an insult to the reader.

First, let me say that I don't expect anyone to read something I wrote three years ago, Secondly, I probably edited them a dozen times when they were active, based on what I got as feedback, but they are still infested with errors. I don't disable them for two reasons. I doubt anyone would care enough to go back, but I do. I use them as touchstones to measure my progress while a member on site.

For those just beginning on Fan Story and not familiar with the system, the first thing you should know is that when you post a new story the site gives you two complimentary posts before it drops off the active list. It stays in your portfolio, but that's about it. If you are just beginning, the most you can expect are two reviews.

One only needs to scroll down the ranking list to the bottom to see that in each genre there are hundreds, often thousands who are doing exactly the same thing. In order to keep your post active you must buy a certificate that ranges between seven to ten dollars depending on your choice for two or four days on the active list. Without doing this your story will die and lay rotting in your portfolio. If you have a fan base stories that are not entered in blind contests, your fans will receive notification of your story or poem. If they enjoy your work they will likely read it anyway, regardless of the lack of member dollars they earn for their time.

Recently a very talented writer posted an essay on marketing containing a great deal of wisdom.

I'll never find your work unless you advertise it, and let me come to know your style and message. I am not a literary archaeologist who will go digging for new talent so that I can earn two cents.

There are too many great writers who are visible on the active list and their posts reward me for my time reading, reviewing and offering suggestions when necessary, to imagine I'll ever run out of reading material.

If you genuinely enjoy reading and learning, then you can easily earn enough FS dollars to promote your work. Of course you can plunk down your credit card and shoot your story to the top spot with real dollars. It will likely cost you fifty to seventy dollars to indulge yourself this way, but most writers who feel they'd like more people to read their post do it by using earned FS money.

I know the real-money cost because I've done it, almost always because I became incensed at something and wanted my rebuttal to side right beside their essay, but my temper tantrum did nothing to make me a better writer. I got a zillion reviews, and why not, the post was paying well over a dollar for each review. My motivation was 'inspired' by the other writer's content and did nothing to further my personal goals. I've learned to control these urges---for the most part.

I find myself in a circle of friends who share a common appreciation of the written word. Some really good friendships have been formed on site and exceptional writers have shared freely their skill set and mentoring as I grew.

In order to move up the rankings a writer must post often, but in order to remain in a growth in standings, the posts have to be well written.

In my early days I became extremely agitated by the constant criticism of my grammar. I was convinced there was a room somewhere filled with grey-haired retired school teachers who did nothing but police the posts for spag. I argued that reviewing should be a two-part process, rewarding writers for their originality in a separate box from the technical execution. Until one day, perhaps it was Brooke, if not, it still sounds like her, who asked me if I had no pride in my work. That stopped me cold. Was I not prepared to do the grunt work, the editing, in order to present something of quality?

I took her writing course on line, and trust me, that was while I was ranked in the top ten. It helped a lot, but I'm still a comma delinquent. Because of my Aries nature I can still get irritated at someone who gives me a list of grammatical errors without making any reference to the content of the post. But, you know, I do the edits.

My best advice to anyone trying to navigate this site and make it a meaningful part of their life is to read as much as you can. Become a fan so you see the style of the author you admire and try to build your own fan base so that more people can give you feedback, as well as boost your ranking. Without marketing your work, you won't be noticed.

Enter contests, especially the ones that are free and site sponsored. Member- sponsored contests do cost money to enter, but you'll have up to eighteen writers who will read your entry. You will have the equivalent to read, exploring the same subject, and offering you a different perspective than your own on the prompt.

Above everything else remain decent in your dealings with all members, both in your reviews and accepting those given you. We read so much about cyber bullying and this site has its share. Don't become one.





Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Spiritual Echo All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Spiritual Echo has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.