Romance Fiction posted January 13, 2013 Chapters:  ...26 27 -28- 29... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Paige is home from the ER.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 7, Part 3

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs North as these two attempt to find love.
Previous post:

Out of frustration Paige leaned back in bed. "You seem to think I need my stupid ankle x-rayed. How am I supposed to get to the truck, fly?" She sighed. "After the doctor pronounces my ankle being sprained only, you'd better believe I'm going to shout 'I told you so'."

Shaking his head, Cash said, "Sit up." He set Morgan on her lap. "Hold the mutt," Then he picked up Paige. "I'll carry you to the truck."

"You can't carry me inside the emergency room."

"Watch me."

Today's post:

After spending five hours, twenty-three minutes, and seventeen seconds in the Emergency Room, Cash parked his pickup outside Paige's home. He lifted her from the passenger seat. "It's too late to get the mutt. I'll bring him to you in the morning."

Paige clenched her jaw. "It's already morning."

"Just tell me why you're so pissed. I'm too tired to guess."

"What's this moaning and groaning? A secret man language? You and the doctor acted like I wasn't even in the room. I could've handled not having a full cast. But no! You had to groan until the doctor thought I wouldn't follow his instructions."

"I cleared my throat, once. There's no way you're going to follow the doctor's orders and stay off that ankle. Did you see the x-ray? You fractured your fibula."

"It's only a tiny crack. It was hard to see on the x-ray."

"That's why you had an MRI. If you put weight on it, it will become a big crack and you'll have to have surgery to realign it and probably a pin put in." Cash stomped up the sidewalk. "And there's no such thing as a secret man language."

At the door Cash sighed. "Do you have the key?"

"It's in my purse. You have me so frustrated I left it in the truck. And there is too a secret man language."

"Reach in my right pants' pocket and get the key. After I set you down, I'll get your purse."

"I don't usually reach into men's pockets."

"I don't normally hold women at their door. Just get the key."

Paige reached for the key. "I can't find it. Are you sure it's there?" She searched a little more. "I found it."

"Now, put it in the lock."

"I know what to do with it." Paige turned the handle and shoved the door open. "You don't need to be so bossy."

Cash carried her upstairs and placed her on the bed. "If you're all right, I'll get your purse."

Paige watched him leave. "Cash, did the doctor really say I needed a cast up to my knee?"

"Yes." He stopped and turned. "He put that temporary one on until the swelling goes down, then he'll replace it with one you'll need to wear for about six weeks."

Paige's eyebrows narrowed. "I don't like this one bit."

"I know. I'll be right back."

*****
When Cash returned carrying the purse, Paige had turned and faced away from the door. He held it up and said, "Just for the record this isn't a purse, it's a French bag."

She remained silent and didn't move.

"It was supposed to be a joke. I guess it wasn't funny." Cash set the purse on the nightstand.

Paige rolled over and forced a smile.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Cash sat beside her and wiped away the tears rolling down her cheeks.

"Thank you for everything."

"You're welcome, but I doubt that's the reason for the tears."

There was a moment of silence before Paige spoke, "It's really late. You need to get some sleep. I'll see you tomorrow."

"You sure you'll be all right? If you want, I can stay a little longer."

"I'm sure. Good night." She rolled over and faced the wall again.

*****
Cash walked into the hallway. Something's wrong. Maybe she misses Morgan. He stood outside her door for a few moments. Now what do I do? After waiting a little longer, he started downstairs, before glancing back at her door. Is that crying? He strained to hear. Yep, it is.

Entering her room, Cash walked around the bed and faced her. "Paige, talk to me. There's a reason you're crying. What is it?" He sat on the bed.

"My ankle hurts, I'm tired, and I'm in pain, and ..." Her slow flow of tears turned into sobbing. "I can't sleep because my ankle hurts."

Cash kicked off his boots, lay beside her and scooted closer. "Come here. Maybe this'll help." He put his arm around her.

Paige lay her head on his chest.



Recognized


Thank you, Google Images, for a photo of an antebellum bedroom.

Thank you for reading and reviewing. Errors in dialogue are intentional. I have to post short because I work full time teaching first grade. Time doesn't allow me write and review. This post is part of a longer chapter which is part of a novel. I cannot describe the main characters in each post, the novel would never end. The characters do continue to grow with each chapter as does Cash and Paige's relationship.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.