Romance Fiction posted June 24, 2012 Chapters:  ...70 71 -72- 73... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anna gets a visitor

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

part one, Chapter 22

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna's a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much?
Anna sat on the living room floor and rolled a large ball back and forth to her young son. Michael seems unhurt by everything that's happened. The ball rolled by the child and into Paul's den.

Although the door was open, Anna knocked on the frame. "Excuse me. Michael's ball?" She pointed toward it.

"Not a problem. Everett and I were discussing some changes to your apartment."

Michael pulled her leg. "Mama, Mama." He reached out.

She knelt to get him.

"Don't do it! It's only been a week and you're not supposed to lift him yet. Have a seat." Paul motioned toward a chair. "I'll hand him to you." He picked up Michael and set him on Anna's lap.

"I'm confused." The two men waited as she continued, "Bobby's dead. His parents divorced. His mother's in jail. Bobby indicated his father wanted nothing to do with this whole thing. Troy told me that Slim and Ted are in jail. Who else is there?"

"Any other family members who might want to avenge Bobby's death." Everett closed his notebook.

"This is never going to end, is it?" She gave Michael a tighter hug. "Maybe I need to move to another town or state."

Betty and Margaret stood in the door. Betty stepped closer to Anna. "Please don't even think about leaving us."

"Anna, I live in a big house. I get lonely. Why do you think I'm always here? I'd sure like some company." Margaret's eyes met Anna's. "Everett can make any adjustments he wants. Would you at least think about moving in?"

"That's a really nice offer. I'll consider it and let you know in a few days."

"Mom, Dad, Anna? Where is everybody?"

"We're in your father's den," Betty called out.

"I have some people I'd like you to meet." Troy stood in the door. "Good, everybody's here. Mom, Dad, Aunt Margaret, and Everett, I'd like you to meet Anna's parents, Abner and Louise White."

Each person held up their hand when Troy said their name.

As Anna stood, Paul grabbed Michael from her. "Mom, Dad?" Tears welled in her eyes. She glanced at Troy. "How did you do this?"

Louise walked over to her daughter and touched the faded, but still evident, bruises and lacerations on her face. "He did this to you?"

Anna nodded. "The police shot him. I'm not in danger any more."

Anna stepped closer to her father. "Daddy, I'm sorry." She cried, going into his arms.

Louise joined the embrace.

Abner stepped back. "I want to say thank you for all you've done for our Anna." He studied the floor.

Louise went to Paul and touched Michael's back. "My grandson?"

Paul handed her the child. "Sure is."

After a kiss on the cheek and a squeeze, Louise carried the baby to her husband. "Abner, meet your grandson."

Grandpa rubbed the child's head. "He'll be bigger than me when he's full grown."

Paul offered his hand to Abner. "My son never finished the introductions." He laughed. "I'm Paul Sorenson." He pointed to each lady. "My wife Betty, and her sister, Margaret." He nodded toward Everett. "A family friend, Everett."

Betty shook the Whites' hands. "I'd better get in the kitchen."

Louise called after her, "Please don't go to any fuss over us."

"Fussing over people is Mom's favorite pastime." Troy chuckled.

"Why are we standing around my den? There's a perfectly good living room with plenty of seats across the hall." Paul led the way.

Everyone found a seat but sat in silence, avoiding each other's eyes.

Everett stood. "It's nice to meet you, but I need to get back to work." He shook their hands. "Margaret, why don't we go to your house and see what needs to be done."

Margaret excused herself and followed Everett.

Paul stood and glanced at Anna. "I know you have lots of time to catch up on." He trailed behind. "Everett, I'd like to see firsthand what you have in mind." He turned toward Troy. "Would you please let your mom know we'll be back in plenty of time for dinner?"

"Not a problem." Troy chuckled. "This room sure emptied fast. Aunt Margaret suggested Anna move in with her."

"I don't understand why you don't come home. I can explain to Reverend Jackson you've repented of your sins. He should let you come back to Church."

Anna stared at her lap.

Troy took a deep breath. "Abner, I hope the Texas' weather isn't too hot for you. It's a lot warmer than Mount Erie."

"It's awful hot here. We watched the 'Weather Channel' and prepared for it."

"Anna, how old is Michael?" Louise cuddled her grandson on her lap.

"He's ten ..." Anna paused. "Well, the end of next week he'll be eleven months old."

"Time has sure gone fast." She smiled at her daughter.

Anna blew out a slow breath. "Mamma, Daddy, I'm glad you're here, but I'm not sure why?"

Abner studied the carpet and his shoes.

Louise rocked Michael and said, "Mr. Whitman convinced your dad that we should try to work things out."

"Please call me Troy." He grinned slightly. "I felt Anna needs your support and love to help her heal. I understand you weren't fond of her choice to marry Bobby."

"It's worse than that." Abner's voice showed contempt. "She disgraced our family by being with child before marriage." He glared at Anna. "How could your mother and me hold our heads up? You shamed us."

"Don't you think she's paid for her mistakes?" Troy's eyes met Abner's. "I've made mistakes, everybody has. I'd hate to be held accountable for them the rest of my life."

"Since I've divorced Bobby, I've made a good life for my son and myself." Anna hesitated. "I've learned how to be independent."

"Hogwash! It's that independence that got you into trouble." Abner set his jaw. "A woman has no business trying to be independent. That's why the good Lord told them to obey their husbands."

"I know everything you did was because you love me and wanted what's best for me."

"I hear a 'but' coming."

"I made a huge mistake and not only am I paying for it. Michael is too. I'm sorry." Tears streamed down Anna's cheek. She ran toward her bedroom.

"Maybe I should go after her." Louise handed her grandson to Abner and followed Anna.

Anna looked up when she saw her mother enter the room. "Mamma?"

Louise sat on the edge of the bed. "Your father and I love you very much. You're right, we over-protected you."

"I made bad choices. I'm trying to make it right."

"I know, dear."

"Will Daddy ever forgive me?"

"He's here, isn't he?" She smiled. "You know how he hates to travel."

Anna nodded. "What do I say to make it better?"

"I can't tell you that. It needs to come from the heart." She stood. "Wash your face and come talk to your father."

*****
A few moments later, Anna returned to the living room. Troy stood when she entered. "Are you doing better?"

"Yes, thank you." She approached her dad. "Daddy ..."

The front door opened and banged against the wall. Heavy rainfall sounded as a noticeable drop in temperature filled the house. Margaret and Everett rushed into the living room. Paul trailed behind making sure the door closed. "We're coming close to Hurricane season. I hope it cools things down for a few days."

"In the Midwest, pop-up thunderstorms are almost an every evening event during the summer."

Betty walked into the room and smiled. "I'm glad you're back. Dinner will be ready in about fifteen minutes. Why don't you get washed up?"

Margaret smoothed her wind-blown hair. "I need to fix my hair, then I'll set the table."

Anna sighed, watched everybody leave the room, then turned toward Troy. "What have you said about being interrupted whenever there's something serious that needs to be discussed?"

He grinned. "Some things never change. Your parents will be here for a few days. There'll be other chances to talk."

*****
After the family held hands and said prayer, Betty began passing the food.

Why does Daddy keep staring at Troy and me? Anna glanced around the dinner table, then took a bite of food. I wonder if anyone else notices. When her father kept doing it, she caught his eyes. "Why do you keep looking at Troy and me?"

"It seems you two are pretty fond of each other. I was wondering if he knows you in the Biblical sense. It seems here in the big city Anna has forgotten her upbringing."

"Daddy?" Anna's eyes widened and her face flushed crimson.



Recognized


Thank you Brian for the painting of an Indian Blanket.

This is part one of Chapter 22, a much longer chapter. It CANNOT stand alone. If you are just joining me, welcome, but you may be confused because this post is part of a much longer novel. Part two will be the final post of this novel. I am hoping to post it July 2nd. I will be in Keystone CO on Sunday, so probably won't be able to post, but I will be returning the following Monday.

Thank you for reading and reviewing.

SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org

National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233
Each state has it's own hotline number.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.