Romance Fiction posted April 29, 2012 Chapters:  ...62 63 -64- 65... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Troy waits.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

part three, Chapter 19

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much?
PREVIOUS POST:
"Once she's set up in a room." The doctor glanced at his buzzing pager. "I'm needed."

Troy, Paul, and Everett watched the doctor rush into Anna's room.

Moments later, Anna's gurney came through the doors. Nurses and doctors surrounded her.

Troy stopped a young nurse trailing behind. "What's going on?"

"Ms. Rodgers needs an emergency partial splenectomy." She followed the gurney.

NEW POST:

Troy backed up against the wall and ran his fingers through his short hair. "This can't be good. How much more can she stand?" She has been through so much.

Paul placed his hand on his son's shoulder. "Keep the faith. Anna has a lot of inner strength." He turned toward the elevator Anna's gurney had used. "Let's wait in the OR's waiting room."

Troy and Everett followed Paul. Once there, they found three vacant seats facing the OR door.

Before he sat, Troy glanced around the crowded room. By the look on their faces, everyone's in as much pain as me.

It wasn't long before Everett's phone rang. He glanced toward Troy and Paul. "I need to take this."

Troy watched him step away. "I guess life goes on, doesn't it?"

"It doesn't even slow down." Paul stood. "I could use a cup of coffee. How about you?" He motioned toward a small snack bar.

Before Paul left, Everett returned. "That was Rich. He said Slim and Ted were denied bail. The cops have search warrants and are going through their houses and Rodgers' too. They're hoping to find evidence to keep them in prison for a long time."

"I hope Rodgers doesn't have more friends who'll continue his vendetta." Paul paused and shook his head. "I'm getting coffee. Want some?"

"Might as well. I have a feeling we'll be here a while."

*****
As the men finished their third cup of coffee, the doctor walked toward them.

Troy jumped up. "How's Anna doing?"

"Ms. Rodgers made it through surgery. She's in recovery. The next hour's crucial."

Troy rubbed his eyes. "So we wait." As he watched the doctor walk away, he hung his head and sighed. It isn't fair that Anna should have to go through this. She's a good person.

Everett stood. "I think I'll check with my buddies at the police station and see if there's any news. I'll probably be back before you have any news about Anna."

Paul and Troy watched Everett leave.

"I guess I'll call your mom and give her what information I have." Paul stepped away from the crowded waiting room to make his call.

Troy studied his empty coffee cup. I don't need any more coffee. He stood and threw the cup in a trash can. What I need is to know Anna will fully recover. He walked over and stared out the fourth floor window onto the full parking lot.

Paul stood beside his son.

Troy didn't turn toward his dad. "How's Mom holding up?"

"She's doing fine. Margaret's with her. Michael's asking for his mom."

"Anna mentioned once that she thought Bobby would kill her. She wanted to know if you and Mom would raise Michael." Troy wiped his eyes. "I told her you'd be honored. I hope she hasn't given up."

"She won't give up. She loves her son too much. Plus I think she's pretty fond of you."

Troy glanced at his dad. "I'm pretty fond of her too."

"You know." He paused. "It's a big responsibility raising a young child."

"You and Mom took me in." Troy hesitated. "One good thing is Michael didn't have to watch that bastard beat his mom to death."

"Michael's young. He'll probably make a full recovery."

"Dad, was it hard for you and Mom to raise me?"

"Not really. Since Betty couldn't have any children, we were set in our ways. We had settled into our own little world. At first, it took time getting used to having you around. Once we got the hang of it, we relished the opportunity. You taught us both a new meaning to patience and gave a new outlook on life for the young. It was great."


Numerous nurses and doctors ran toward the recovery room. An older nurse pushed the crash cart and spoke to a younger nurse. "There's a code blue in recovery."




Recognized


I want to thank brwartwork for allowing me to use Alone Surgery Waiting Room. This was done by my husband, Brian. He drew the sketch of a lady waiting while he was waiting for me during my second breast surgery. He painted it later. I felt it reflected Troy's feelings while he waits for Anna.

This post is part three of Chapter 19, a much longer chapter. It can not stand alone. If you are just joining me, welcome, but you may be confused because this post is part of a much longer novel.

Thank you for reading and reviewing.

SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org

National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233
Each state has it's own hotline number.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.