General Flash Fiction posted April 23, 2012


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level

Planes, Trains, And ...

by Realist101

Michael Short taxied to the runway, all systems go. He adjusted his headset and took careful note of the coordinates needed for the next flight. It would be a fast one--up, over and back. Slam, bam, thank you Ma'am. He felt the familiar butterflies that never failed to batter his guts each time he flew. If you didn't feel a little fear of flying, there was something wrong with you. He listened intently to the sound of the plane as it gathered strength and began to lift off the ground. It never ceased to amaze him either, the beauty of it all.

He loved most, the anonymity of air travel, the freedom from constraints and laws. All he had to do was stay below the radar, and when necessary, hide his N number. Easy as pie. He chuckled to himself as the Piper evened out. It was great to be alive.

The sky at night was just as beautiful as daytime. Stars glittered, and accented the moon. He looked at the panel. Almost there ... great. He tensed and readied for the descent. The woman's house was dark. But she was there. She was always there. The Cub roared just feet above the roof of the woman's house, vengeance beneath it's wings, then disappeared into the dark like a thunderbird dipped in lightning.

~~~~~~~~

The Sandman would not come for the woman as she lay trying to sleep, her heart filled with dread. Years of hate and torment were taking their toll, and she could not relax. She reflected, with every attempt at rest or enjoyment, her decision to go up against wrong. And wondered too, what else they would think of--what else they would do to her. This fear ruled her life. More than paranoia, it was sheer terror. It stalked her like a rabid wolf, and stole her peace of mind. It stole her very soul. She lay still, listening. Waiting. And yes, there he was. The familiar buzzing. The chainsaw in the air.

A voice near her bed spoke then, soft and low; it reminded her of her father, so long gone. Yet, it was different. More calm. Soothing, it told her tonight that she would finally sleep without terror. Without worry. The woman closed her eyes as a brief pain stabbed her body. She tried to fight it, but only for an instant.

~~~~~~~~

The clouds were soft and warm, just like cotton. She glanced below where she sat, to the silvery shape that circled the place she had tried to call home. The place she would not miss. And she smiled. They would never be allowed to follow her here. The man in the robe had promised her that.





Recognized


Is God REALLY YOUR co-pilot?

Thanks to my friends for reading and understanding this. And to Photobucket for the loan of the pix.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Realist101 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Realist101 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.