Romance Fiction posted April 8, 2012 Chapters:  ...59 60 -61- 62... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
More about Anna's situation.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

part four, Chapter 18

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much?
When the painting remains landed outside on the ground, the negotiator turned and watched Paul and Everett quiet Troy as he yelled, "We've got to get Anna out. He's going to kill her."

The negotiator called a rookie officer over. "We need to know what's happening in there." He handed a microphone to the rookie and pointed to Anna's bedroom. "Get it installed now."

Everett removed his cap and scratched his head. "Sir," he called. When the man didn't respond, he repeated it, louder, "Sir!"

The negotiator turned toward him. "I don't have time to make a statement."

"There's a monitor on that window. If it's opened, Rodgers will be alerted."

"How do you know?"

"I'm the PI who put it there. There's a small bathroom window on the other side of the patio. I didn't put one there. It's perfect for a microphone. There's a curtain over the window. It'll be well hidden."

Do you have any other suggestions?" he asked as he motioned the rookie toward the small window.

"Not right now. If I do, I'll let you know. I'm Everett. I'm staying until Anna's safely out."

Paul and Troy nodded in agreement.

"I need to get to work." George walked closer to the patio and spoke through a megaphone. "Bobby, this is George. I can help you, but first I need to know Ms. Rodgers is all right. Bring her to the window so I can see her."

"I'm not talking to you."

"If we don't talk, things won't end well. As long as nobody's hurt, I can help. Let me see Ms. Rodgers."

"She's takin' a nap. I'll see if I can wake her."

George walked to the police van and spoke with an associate, "This can't be good. I'll give him a few minutes, then try again." He glanced toward the apartment. "I need that microphone now."

*****
Bobby tossed a pitcher of water over Anna's head. "Wake up, bitch. They want to see you."

Anna blinked and grabbed the top of her head. "What?" She lowered her hand. There was blood.

"The cops outside want to see you." Bobby grabbed her hair and yanked her to her feet. He stood back and laughed. "You're a slob. Wash your face and do something with your hair."

"You want me to wash my face and fix my hair. Why?"

"I've told you. The cops want to see you. Now move!" He shoved her toward the kitchen. "Wash."

Anna stumbled and grabbed the counter to keep from falling. At the sink, she filled her hands with water and tossed it on her face. When finished, she used a dish towel to dry. She stared at the blood stains on the towel as she set it on the counter.

"Hurry up, bitch." Bobby grabbed her arm and yanked her closer. He used his hand to rub down her hair. "That looks a little better. Now stand just outside that glass door and don't do anything stupid." He shoved her forward. "I'll be right behind you."

Bobby opened the door. "Here she is." He pushed Anna onto the porch. "Get a good look. It won't happen again."

Anna shielded her eyes from the sun with one hand and had the other across her stomach. "Michael, where's Michael? Is he safe?"

"Your son's at his grandma's," George said. "Are you all right?"

Bobby yanked Anna back inside. "Bitch, I warned you!" He threw her on the floor and repeatedly kicked her. "The brat isn't with his grandma. His grandma's in prison. Who's he with?"


"Betty Sorenson. She's like a grandma to him. Michael likes her a lot."

*****
George motioned for an officer to come to him. "Were you able to get a photo?"

"Yes, sir, I got a couple. As soon as they're downloaded, you can check her injuries." As he put the memory card in a laptop, he said, "She didn't look very good. She was barely conscious."

"Hurry up."

Moments later the officer said, "Sir, I have the photos." He motioned toward the computer.

George studied the first photo. "Damn, we need to get her out fast." He clicked for the next photo. "I've seen enough." After picking up the megaphone, he said, "Bobby, Mrs. Rodgers has bruises and is bleeding. How'd it happen?"

"She's clumsy," he yelled.

The negotiator turned toward Paul and Troy when he heard Troy yell, "I'll kill the bastard!"

The rookie officer stood beside George. "The microphone's in place." He handed George a receiver. "You should be able to hear everything inside the apartment."

"Good." He picked up the megaphone. "Bobby, is there anything you want or need?"

"I want my friends, Slim and Ted."

George overheard Bobby laugh, then say. "Bitch, you caused them so much trouble; I think they deserve payback before I kill you."

After George rubbed the back of his neck, he turned toward a police sergeant. "Do we know where or who Slim and Ted are?"

"They're both in police custody."

"Figures." Through the megaphone he said, "Bobby, we're searching for your friends. Is there anything else you need?"

"A keg of beer." He paused. "Quit calling the bitch Mrs. Rodgers."

George muttered and dialed his phone. "I need the police chief." He waited a moment, then said, "I need the SWAT team. This is going downhill." He glanced toward Troy, Paul, and Everett and he shook his head.




Recognized


Thank you, Brian for allowing me to use your artwork to show the struggles Anna has breaking the chains of abuse.
This post is part four of Chapter 18, a much longer chapter. It can not stand alone. If you are just joining me, welcome, but you may be confused because this post is part of a much longer novel. I'm sorry about the language, but I feel it's in character for Bobby.

Thank you for reading and reviewing.

SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org

National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233
Each state has it's own hotline number.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.