Essay Non-Fiction posted February 13, 2012


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Parallel on seasons of life and struggles of life

A Time to Mourn and a Time to Dance

by Judith Ann

Winter, a necessary season, arrives just before spring.  Winter prepares the earth for new life by delivering a time of bitter cold to destroy harmful infestations.  Winter forces us to stay indoors, allowing us to seek warmth, comfort and safety in the shelter of family.
 
Winter is a cold, often bleak season.  It is a time that makes a fierce shiver work its way from the tip of our toes to the top of our heads.  Winter is a season to cuddle - to seek warmth and to appreciate a roof over our heads.  And winter is filled with beauty.  No other season gives us sparkling ice crystals shimmering on window panes.  Barren trees, laden with heavy frost and shining in the morning light, suddenly snap a brittle branch, piercing the silence with a sharp cracking sound.
 
This frosty period is perfect for contemplating, for sitting in front of a fire in silence, for still, quiet and warmth.  Winter is a season for reflection and for frostbite.  It is a season when we toughen up and a time when we mellow, stopping for some hot chocolate.  Winter changes us.  Winter reveals where we need to do some insulating so we can survive the next "winter season."
 
No matter what has transpired during the dark and cold spell of our lives, there will be a spring.  If we have been dealing with illness, bankruptcy or death, this wintery chill will end.  As I was living for my husband, caring for him and loving him as I have never loved him before, I was reminded of winter, with all its ice-cold sensations, and wondering if spring would ever arrive.
 
Spring is the season welcomed with open arms and greatly anticipated. The spring of our lives is filled with newness, new life, and new warmth.  It is punctuated with green and with rain and with wind.  There is a new fresh smell in the air, a sweet odor resembling damp earth and flowers.  Birds build their nests anticipating a new family.
 
My Journal entree February 16th, 2011, 4:30 a.m.  It appears that the long winter season is coming to a close.  The harsh temperatures coupled with Dave's illness are wrapping up.  God is preparing to usher in a new season -- spring is nearing.  I can only imagine what that means to Dave -- what joy when Jesus "springs" into view.  Come quickly, Lord Jesus.
 
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:... a time to weep and a time to laugh, time to mourn and a time to dance...."   (Ecclesiastes 3:1, 4)




Thank you VMarguarite for Looking for Spring. I couldn't have named it better.
These are some thoughts I had as I moved through a cold Winter season of life emerging into the promise of warming with Spring and new life. This piece is offered as a word of hope. Life will improve, winter will fade into the back ground and spring will burst forth.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by VMarguarite at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Judith Ann All rights reserved.
Judith Ann has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.