Romance Fiction posted January 29, 2012 Chapters:  ...48 49 -50- 51... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anna grows.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

part one, Chapter 16

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much?
CHAPTER SIXTEEN

At noon, Anna walked into the office's front lobby. "Ginger, I'm going to lunch."

"Your lunch date is waiting," Ginger said as Anna turned toward the man, sitting by the door and grinned.

Troy stood. "I hope your Monday's going well."

"Why didn't you tell me you were here?"

He placed his hand on the small of her back and led her toward the door. "I figured you'd need the extra time deciding where you wanted to eat." He laughed.

"Have fun, you two," Ginger called as they walked out the door.

Anna turned and faced Troy. "There's a new cafe that just opened on the next block. I'd like to try it."

He used his pointer finger and rubbed down the top of her nose. "You're really working for that kiss, aren't you?"

Her eyebrows rose as she slugged his arm.

He grabbed the punched area. "You pack a punch."

"Did I hurt you? I'm sorry." She rubbed the spot. "I didn't mean to."

Troy took Anna's hand. "No, you didn't. I'm teasing." He glanced around the street. "It's usually busier than this. I guess everybody's already at lunch."

"I hope all the people aren't eating at the cafe. Ginger told me they sold the best sandwiches and salads."

*****
After they placed their order, Anna asked, "Was everything at your office all right last night?"

"Somebody broke in and stole the latest copy of my medical records."

Anna took a drink of water. "I'm sorry I got you involved in this."

"You didn't. I volunteered and I don't regret it. I have nothing to hide. You already know about the Hepatitis B."

They quieted until the waiter set the salads and sandwiches in front of them.

Troy poured dressing over his salad. "When are you going to tell me about last night's phone call?"

"How'd you find out about it?"

"Remember Dad had Everett put a trace on your phone?" After Anna nodded, Troy continued, "This time you were threatened. Why didn't you call?"

"You were busy with your own problems. I handled it myself."

After setting the fork down, Troy searched her eyes. "You should have at least called Dad. Promise if it happens again you'll call either Dad or me. If you don't, I'll have Everett permanently assign somebody to your apartment."

"I promise. Boy, you're bossy."

"And you're stubborn," Troy teased.

To change the subject, she took a bite of her sandwich. "This is good."

Troy answered his ringing cell. "Sure, Dad. I'll come by the house as soon as Anna and I finish lunch." He put his phone away. "Dad sounded serious. I wonder what's going on."

"We better hurry." Anna folded her napkin.

As they left the restaurant, Troy took Anna's hand. "I liked this cafe. You made a good choice. I'd better start keeping track. You're getting stronger right before my eyes."

Anna stopped walking and stared into his eyes. "I'm sorry about last night."

"I'm not." He brushed her cheek with his fingers.

At Anna's office door, Troy leaned over and hugged her. "I'll see you tonight after your meeting. Mom's cooking something special."

*****
Anna rushed to find a seat just as the spousal abuse meeting began. After listening a few moments she squirmed as different types of harassment were discussed. All of these have happened to me the past few months. I'll never be free.

The meeting ended and Anna sat quietly. I guess it's good to know that under the circumstances my life is normal. I'm pretty sure it's not good to be normal in this situation. I'd rather be abnormal. Anna glanced at her watch. I'd better hurry. Betty will have dinner ready.

The sun had just set as Anna walked to her car. "What?" She bent over to get a closer look at her back tire. "It's flat!"

I'm glad Paul gave me the phone. She found his name and pushed the call button. After explaining her location, she promised she'd wait in the locked car until he arrived. Paul said he'd take care of getting somebody to fix the flat and bring the car to his house.

Anna pulled her jacket tighter around her petite body. "It's getting chilly tonight." She checked both backdoors to make sure they were locked, then glanced at the front passenger door before checking the driver's. Okay, I'm safe. I'm sure Paul will hurry.

Under the windshield wiper, she noticed a piece of folded white paper. I wonder what that is and who put it there. Anna started to open the car door, then remembered Paul's warning, 'Don't unlock the door or get out of the car for any reason until I get there.' I'll wait. I'm sure this is another form of harassment




Recognized


SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org

National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233
Each state has it's own hotline number.

Thank you Brian, for allowing me to use the artwork to represent the chains of abuse Anna suffered.
Thank you for reading and reviewing. I appreciate your support.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.