Biographical Poetry posted January 25, 2012


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Please read Author Notes first

New Dawn (Prose Poem)

by dejohnsrld (Debbie)

New Dawn

 

Pale spring dawn broke the horizon, starting sunny March morning. A second new beginning likewise transpired, both awful and wonderful. This one started as a crack, a single solitary line in the glass of my life. Developing tentacles, it spread, shattering all that had been, was expected. All encompassing, past sins erased. New dawn replaced darkness of night, fears held. At once pain, enlightenment. Creation of new life, old blessedly never to return.

 

Slowly, sun’s rays began to melt the ice of yesterdays. Tear drops flowed freely, warmth replacing frigidness of life past. Painstakingly slow, soul, inner core, once hard as stone softened.

 

Once hard tentacles became

soft webbing. Catching me before permanent night became future. Old baggage sifting through, fresh life captured. Self-serving rock of materialism and power struck down, revealing dawn of gentle softness. As new day, a second chance. Life forever changed…




Recognized


This is a prose/poem, a metaphorical look at my accident and how it changed my life. It is part of an assignment of writing memoirs for my writing group.

The prose poem walks a thin line between poetry and prose. It became popular with poets like Charles Baudelaire, Oscar Wilde and Robert Bly because it offered freedom from structure and form. Prose poetry does not use poetic meter, rhyme, line breaks or stanzas. But it does retain the repetition, language and imagery of poetry. Unlike prose, the prose poem is not as concerned with plot or narrative and its point of view is more reflective and turned inward. The prose poem can be a paragraph, three paragraphs, a page or many pages.
Difficulty: Moderate
Instructions
1.Know that you won't have to worry about rules of form. Rhyme schemes, meter, stanza and line breaks don't apply.
2. Consider the structure of prose. Prose poems take the shape of paragraphs and contain sentences and sentences fragments.
3. Think about a time where you were struck by a particular image, how you came upon that image, how that image made you feel and what went through your mind when you saw it.
4. Write about that experience. Pay particular attention to describing the image and your emotions in detail. Use poetic devices like consonance, assonance, simile, metaphor, repetition and symbol. You can tell a story in your poem, but it comes second to the language (or how you tell the story).
5. Don't worry about correct punctuation right now. You may be writing a prose poem, but you still want to keep the effects of poetry. Sometimes correct punctuation can hurt the rhythm you've established. Your prose poem can contain sentence fragments and very long sentences.
6. Read over your prose poem. Take note of the language you've used. See if you can add more detail. Take note of the story or the thoughts you've expressed. See if anything needs to be added or revised.
7. See if you have an epiphany. Not all poems need epiphanies, but some really benefit from them. See if the poem's train of thought naturally leads to an epiphany or a closing thought or image to leave with the reader.


Thanks to avmurray for the artwork



Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by avmurray at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. dejohnsrld (Debbie) All rights reserved.
dejohnsrld (Debbie) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.