Spiritual Non-Fiction posted January 17, 2012


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Devotional

Safety Net

by Judith Ann

This past year has been an eye-opener for me. I never thought of myself as one to worship anything but God. Then my husband died and my life became unstable. I found myself fearful because the anchor and the security I felt were no longer with me. I discovered my idol was financial security. 

Idolatry, a serious problem even today, takes a different form than in Paul's time. We don't put our trust in statues of wood and stone but in paper money and plastic cards. But, we get into the same trouble the Corinthian people did. We face God's displeasure. The Bible teaches putting our trust in anything but God is idolatry. What is a modern day idol for you? When we recognize those things we put before God we can begin to understand Paul's words to "flee from the worship of idols".

"Therefore, my dear friends flee from idolatry. I speak to sensible people; judge for yourselves what I say. Is not the cup of thanksgiving for which we give thanks a participation in the blood of Christ? And is not the bread that we break a participation in the body of Christ? Because there is one loaf, we, who are many, are one body, for we all share the one loaf." (1 Corinthians 10:14-17)

My devotional readings each day challenge me to accept the fact that I am made stronger through trials, my faith grows when heartache and pain enter my life. I resisted this concept for months, enjoying the occasional pity party as I allowed the loss of my husband and then my idol (security) to imprison my happiness. I was shackled by chains of fear and doubt. Slowly, God has been revealing to me that He is all I need. His grace is sufficient for me. Is there an idol in your life?




Thank you littia thompson for The Title is the Cross. A fitting Safety Net for all.

I enjoy writing devotional pieces and often apply them to my own life. The Scripture reference for this piece is 1 Corinthians 10:14-17
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Judith Ann All rights reserved.
Judith Ann has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.