Essay Non-Fiction posted December 31, 2011


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
saying good-bye to 2011

Reflections

by barbara.wilkey









The snappy lines are all wrong.
Rhyming words will make it strong.
This reads like a grocery list.
Keep it up, if you must insist.

Please take a poetry class.
This sounds like a singing bass.
Novel writing is your thing.
That's where you should really cling.

*****
I'll continue to write my romance.
They cause me to do a happy dance.
I now realize poetry isn't my thing.
Writing romance novels makes me sing.

My poetry pen will be hid away.
My muse may try to shine another day.
But I'll remind her, at poems she sucks.
I am sure she'll yell loudly, "Oh shucks!"



I've done some reflection as we say good-bye to 2011. I already knew poetry wasn't my thing. I struggled counting syllables and rhyming words. I don't understand why sometimes an 'ed' ending caused a word to have an additional syllable and why sometimes it doesn't. A person's dialect caused different syllable counts too. What is this thing called meter? I think there's about two million types of poetry. I doubt that's an exaggeration. Oh my, just too much for THIS person to fully comprehend.

I'd like to thank all the wonderful poets who have supported and encouraged my poetic efforts. I started to list you but my list was at seventeen and still growing. I became afraid I'd miss somebody. You know who you are. I smile when your name showed up in my PM box and I've told you in reviews how your poems made my days brighter.

As I reflected on my poems, I realized I started with love poems, go figure. Next, a few poems took me through my fight with breast cancer. Finally, my poems reflected my love of family and pets. They also showed the silly side of me. There's a reason I've taught first grade for so many years. Oh yes, Big Boy was not happy I shared his misfortune across seven continents.

My poetry reflected more of who I am as a person than my romance novels. I find that very interesting. As we go into the New Year, I want to thank all of you for the love, support, encouragement, friendship, and prayers you have given me as a person and as a writer. Since the day I joined FS, I've been blessed. Thank you.

My prayers for upcoming 2012:
world peace,
we as a nation learn to work together and solve our
numerous problems,
no child ever goes to bed hungry or homeless,
no veteran dies alone on the streets,
and my continuous prayers for each of you.

As I say good-bye to 2011 and welcome 2012, again I want to say thank you.

Vaya con Dios
Barbara



Recognized


I want to thank brwartwork for the artwork. He's my husband and for this birthday I gave him a subscription to fanart. The first attempt at a poem is what some reviewers had to say about my poem. The second one is my answer. The rest are reflections. I struggled choosing a category. I don't think there's anyway to really rate this but I don't know where to find the no rating button.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.