Romance Fiction posted December 11, 2011 Chapters:  ...42 43 -44- 45... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Troy helps Michael.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

part 1 Chapter 14

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much?
At the end of the previous chapter, Anna and Troy were having lunch together and they heard the loud muffler. Troy ran from the restaunrant to try to identify the vehicle.

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

As Anna and Troy returned to her office, Troy shook his head. "Sorry, I can't identify the vehicle with the loud mufflers. I think it was a white pick-up. With two lanes of noon traffic turning at once, I can't be sure. Do you know anyone with one?"

"Not that I can think of, but I'll rack my brain and see if anybody comes to mind." Anna put her hand on the door knob. "I really need to get back to work."

Troy's hand covered hers. "Will you be all right tonight? I'll drop by if you want me to."

"I'll be fine."

"You have my number. Don't be afraid to use it."

Anna opened the door and stepped inside. "Bye. Thank you for lunch and the support."

"Can we have lunch again tomorrow?" After Anna smiled, Troy continued, "Picnic or a restaurant?"

"Surprise me." Anna closed the door and walked to her office. Can any man be this nice?

*****
That evening Anna carried Michael inside the apartment and checked the lock twice. As she set Michael down, her cell phone rang. She glanced at the display before answering, "Hello, Troy." She glanced at her sleeping son. "Yes, I'm home. Everything seems fine. I just walked in the door. I needed to make a few stops before I picked up Michael." She made her way into the kitchen as she listened. "If I need anything, I promise I'll call." She laughed. "You're worse than a mother hen, but I appreciate it." Anna opened the refrigerator and peeked in, not sure what she was looking for. "Okay, bye, I'll see you around noon. Thank you again."

*****
The dinner and the dishes were done, so Anna read Michael a story and put him to bed, before she curled up to read a book. She adjusted an afghan around her legs. I could get used to this. While married, I never had the luxury of reading.

As she flipped the page, her telephone rang. Her eyes widened as her head turned toward the kitchen. It's only a telemarketer. She slowly walked over and picked up the receiver. "Hello." Listening a few moments, she smiled. "I'm sorry you have the wrong number. No Becky lives here."

It would be nice to hear Troy's voice. He told me to call if I needed anything. She checked the door to make sure it was locked. I really don't need anything. After glancing at the wall clock, she sighed. It's getting late, I should go to bed. On her way to her room, Anna adjusted the blankets on Michael. With a sigh she crawled in bed, but stared at the telephone. What if that man calls tonight. She fluffed her pillow. How do I know it wasn't a woman?

Anna rolled over, then back again as she faced the phone. "I know how to fix the problem." She got out of bed, moved the nightstand, and unplugged the telephone. "Now I can get some sleep. I doubt I'll hear the kitchen phone." Anna turned the light off, then crawled back in bed. Tomorrow I'll have lunch with Troy. I wonder where we'll eat. It doesn't matter. Anywhere will be special.

*****
Early Saturday morning Anna lay in bed. Last week Troy and I ate lunch together every day. I wonder if he's planning to continue it next week. She smiled. I hope so. She sat up in bed. "There's Michael. I knew it wouldn't last long."

As Anna and Michael ate breakfast, she made a list of things she wanted to get done. "Let's see. We have a busy day, little guy. We need groceries, clean the apartment, and do laundry. How about doing laundry first?" She glanced toward Michael and kissed his cheek. "I agree that sounds like a good plan. We'll get going as soon as I finish the breakfast dishes and get dressed."

*****
After Anna returned from the laundromat, she lifted the baskets and noticed the box of detergent had fallen over and spilled. "Darn, now I need to clean the backseat." I'll carry this inside. While I clean up the mess, I'll put Michael in his walker.

Anna struggled to carry Michael, the walker, and dragged the vacuum outside. She set Michael inside the walker and gave him a graham cracker. "You need to stay on the sidewalk in front of the car. At least there's not a curb." She scanned the area. "You should be safe. It'll only take a few minutes."

After pulling the vacuum toward the backseat, Anna glanced toward Michael again. He's safe. It'll only take a few seconds to get this up. She turned on the vacuum.

Anna took one last look at her child before she climbed partway inside the backseat.

*****
Troy pulled into the parking slot two down from where Anna had parked. He smiled at Anna's rear end sticking out from the car. She looks good in jeans.

Out of the corner of his eye, Troy noticed a teenage male walking two large mixed-breed dogs. The larger one lunged forward and the boy lost his grip. The dog headed toward Michael.



Recognized


Thank you for reading and taking time to write a review. This post is part of a longer chapter and novel. I am a little over 2/3's finihsed posting the novel. The characters are developed in the first 220 pages.
It is not unusual for an abuse victim to be stalked and harrassed after they leave. Often as they attempt to have a normal life is when they are in the most danger.

SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org

National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233
Each state has it's own hotline number.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.