Romance Fiction posted December 4, 2011 Chapters:  ...41 42 -43- 44... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anna receives a phone call.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

Part 4, Chapter 13

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much?
The end of the previous post had Anna falling asleep in a bubble bath.

*****
Anna shook her head trying to figure out the sound she heard. A little more awake, she realized it was the telephone. She lifted herself from the tub and slipped her arms through the sleeves of her light blue terry cloth robe. Brrr, the water is cold. By the time I get there, whoever it is will've hung up. She tightened the tie around her waist and jogged to the kitchen. I must've fallen asleep.

She snatched the receiver. "Hello."

Silence, then she repeated the greeting.

"Hello," Anna repeated the greeting for the third time. I knew I wouldn't make it in time.

As she started to hang up, she heard breathing. "Who's there? I hear you. Who are you?"

The breathing became louder.

"I know you're there."

As the breathing continued, Anna slammed down the receiver. She heard the rumble of a muffler and cried as she slumped to the floor. "Leave me alone. Just leave me alone." She scooted herself back into the corner and curled up on the floor. "All I want is a normal life."

*****
As the eastern sky lightened, Michael's crying woke Anna. She stood, rubbed her back, then stretched. It must be morning. She turned around and checked the door. Good it's still locked. It wasn't a dream. Troy's right. I need help. I just spent the night on the kitchen floor. After getting a sip of water, she glanced at the clock and headed toward Michael's room. Six-fifteen. He's better than an alarm clock. I bet he's hungry. I'll make his breakfast, bathe him, and then get ready for work.

*****
Troy waited on the sidewalk for almost thirty minutes. When Anna didn't show, he walked inside the building and smiled at the woman behind the desk. "Hello. I'm wondering if I may speak with Anna Rodgers."

Ginger returned the smile. "She's in her office." Picking up the receiver, she dialed. "Ms. Rodgers, there's a gentleman." Her eyes met Troy's.

"Troy Whitman." He glanced down the hall.

"A Mr. Whitman. Is it all right if I send him back?" Ginger replaced the receiver. "She says it's okay. Her office is the first door on the right."
"Thank you." He walked toward the door.

As he stood in the doorway, Anna rose from her chair. "Hello. I wasn't expecting to see you today."

"I waited outside to see if you'd have lunch with me. When you didn't show, I got worried." He paused. "You look tired. Did you sleep all right?"

Anna opened a file and shuffled papers. "Not really."

Troy stood beside her and put his hand on her arm. "What happened?"

"Nothing really." Her eyes met his. "Last night I got a phone call, but all I heard was breathing. After I hung up I heard a loud muffler." She sighed. "I know this sounds silly, but I'm sure it's the same muffler."

"What time did this happen?" Troy removed his cell from a clip on his belt.

"Around twelve-thirty or closer to one o'clock."

After Troy made a call, he said, "Dad's going to have your incoming calls traced and see who called." He paused. "Will you have lunch with me?"

"I doubt I'll be very good company." She studied the file in her hand. "Everybody gets harassing phone calls, don't they? I'm overreacting, aren't I?"

"We won't know until we discover who called." He took her hand. "Come on, I know a little restaurant in the next block I think you'll like. It's closer than the park."

*****
After their order was taken, Troy took a sip of water. "I think it's time we try to get a description and license plate of the vehicle with the loud muffler. Someone could be stalking you."

"But Bobby's in jail."

"Maybe he hired a relative or friend." Troy paused until the waiter placed their ice tea on the table. "I wouldn't put anything past this family."

Anna rearranged her silverware. "I agree. But why would anybody stalk me? I never go or do anything." She fingered the fork. "I'm having lunch with you, but my divorce is final and all we're doing is eating and talking."

Troy grinned. "You better watch the ice tea. It could be addictive." After Anna tilted her head and sighed, Troy continued, "Mom said Michael's trying to walk."

"Good switch. Sorry, but I'm not in the mood for teasing." She placed the napkin on her lap. "He is. All he needs is a little confidence and he's gone. He sure didn't stay little very long."

"What is he, almost nine months old?"

Anna waited for the waiter to set their plates in front of them before she answered, "In ten days he'll be officially nine months." The sound of a loud muffler caused Anna's head to jerk toward the window.

Troy rushed from the restaurant.



Recognized


Thank you for reading and reviewing. Please understand this post is part four of the thirteenth chapter.

SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org

National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233
Each state has it's own hotline number.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.