Romance Fiction posted November 27, 2011 Chapters:  ...40 41 -42- 43... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anna tries a normal life.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

Part three Chapter 13

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much?
Anna watched the janitor sweep the floor and then turned toward Troy. "I guess I'd better pick up Michael and head for home. I bet he's hungry."

Troy glanced at his watch. "I'm pretty sure he's eaten and bathed by now. If you wait a little longer, he'll be in bed."

After Anna studied her watch, she said, "I can't believe I've sat here this long. I need to apologize to your parents." She stood and walked toward the door.

Troy followed. "I'm pretty sure they understand. Besides they already miss having Michael around."

As Troy backed from the parking slot, Anna asked, "Can you take me to my car?"

He nodded. "Are you sure you'll be all right going back to your place tonight? I'll take you home so you can grab a few things. You can stay with my parents. I'm sure they wouldn't mind. Dad can take you to work in the morning."

"I want to go home, hold my son, put him to bed, and take a long hot bubble bath."

Troy answered his ringing cell. "Hi, Mom." He listened for a few moments then said, "We're on our way. We should be there in ten minutes." After he hung up, he glanced at Anna. "Mom waited dinner. I hope you're hungry."

Anna held her stomach. "I'm not sure I can eat anything. My tummy's upset."

"Understandable." He pulled up alongside her car, got out, walked around, and opened the door for her. "I'll follow you to my parents."

She nodded. "Thank you for everything."

The sound of a loud muffler caused Anna to grab Troy's arm.

His hand covered hers. "You're safe. I won't let anything happen to you or Michael." A few moments later, he helped her inside her car.

*****
After thanking Paul and Betty, Anna made apologies and left with Troy following her home.

*****
Anna unlocked the door to her apartment, waved good bye to Troy, and locked the door before she set Michael on the floor. She put the plate of lasagna, salad, and bread in the refrigerator. Tomorrow I'll have it for dinner. I really don't feel like eating. She rechecked the door, picked up Michael, and sat in the rocking chair. "Little man, did you have fun with Grandma Betty?" She gave him a big hug.

"While we rock, I'll read to you." She reached for a picture book from the table beside the chair. "Look your favorite story."

It wasn't long before Michael fell asleep.

Anna put the child to bed, again checked to make sure the door was locked, and then prepared to treat herself to a bubble bath. As the hot water and floral fragrance of the bubbles surrounded her, she leaned back. Bobby never allowed me this luxury. She released a deep breath. He's in jail and has no control over me. I'm free.

After she raised her arm from the water, she stared at it. "See, no chains or bruises." My life's better without him. She paused. Was that Michael? She listened again. He must've rolled over. I wonder if he's better off growing up without a father. Can I be both parents to him?

She closed her eyes. Paul and Betty are good substitute grandparents. And Troy ... well I'll just have to wait and see. She drifted to a light sleep.




Recognized


I hope all of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I'm glad to be home, but had a wonderful time with my family.
Thank you for reading and reviewing. Again this is part 3 of Chapter 13, and the novel is about 2/3s the way complete. All the characters have been developed in much earlier chapters.
Sorry this post doesn't have big cliff hanger for an ending, but it just doesn't seem to fit.

SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org

National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233
Each state has it's own hotline number.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.