Romance Fiction posted November 5, 2011 Chapters:  ...37 38 -39- 40... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The truth comes out.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

Part three, Chapter 12

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much?
"I need time to think, but I doubt it." She tossed the pinecone a few feet away. "I might lose Michael. The Rodgers' attorney made me look like the worst mother on Earth."

"Dad mentioned he played dirty. He knows how to play hardball. I'm confident this will turn out in your favor." Troy glanced toward the two men waiting. "We're not really alone. Dad and Everett are watching."

Anna raised her hand to shield her eyes from the sun and looked at the men standing under a maple tree. "So those two aren't stalkers?"

"Depends on your definition." He chuckled as he stood. "I sometimes feel we're being stalked." He lowered his hands to help her up.

Anna paused and studied his hands, before she allowed him to assist her to her feet.

"I'm glad we're making progress." Troy grinned. "Let's go find out what happened in court today."

"I already know and it wasn't good."

As Troy and Anna neared the two men, Paul said, "Let's meet at my house and discuss strategy. I'll call Betty and let her know there'll be more mouths to feed." He removed his phone from his pants' pocket.

While Paul spoke with Betty, Everett answered his ringing cellphone.

After Paul hung up, Everett said, "My guy found something. I'm passing on dinner. I'll see you tomorrow in court." The three of them watched Everett walk away.

Anna sighed. "I hope it's finally some good news."

Paul put his arm around her shoulders. "I agree. Let's go home."

*****
The following morning, Paul asked and was granted permission to speak with Judge Sawyer.

Anna sat at the defendant's table. I wonder what's going on. On the way here, Paul barely spoke in the car.

When Mr. Brown and Paul returned, Paul smiled at Anna. "I think things have turned in our favor."

Anna started to speak, but Paul put his finger to his lips. "You'll see in a few minutes. There are ears all around."

Anna glanced at the plaintiff's table and watched Mr. Brown ignore the repeated questions by her former mother-in-law. I wonder what that's all about.

After the judge entered, he asked Mr. Brown if he was ready to continue with Mr. Page.

"No, your honor. I'm finished with the witness."

Judge Sawyer turned toward the defendant's table. "Do you have any questions for this witness?"

"Yes, your honor. I would like to clear up something from yesterday." He paused. "Your honor, this witness has knowledge of medical records. So in the interest of time, I'd like to ask him the questions instead of calling two other witnesses." He handed the judge some paperwork.

"I'll grant you some leeway, but make sure you don't abuse it."

After Everett returned to the stand and was reminded he had already been sworn in, Paul asked, "Do you have knowledge of Troy Whitman's diagnosis?"

"Yes, I do. He has Hepatitis B."

"Your honor, I would like Mr. Whitman's medical records admitted as evidence." He turned toward the witness. "Do you know how much of a threat this disease is to the minor child in question?"

"I do. I've seen the child's shot record. None, the child's already been vaccinated."

Paul produced a schedule of shots and a copy of Michael's shot record. "I'd like to admit these documents as evidence." After the judge nodded, Paul continued, "I'm glad we've gotten that cleared up." Paul removed a file from his briefcase and stepped closer to Everett. "Mr. Page." He opened it and showed the judge the paper. "Would you tell the court what you discovered yesterday?"

Once Everett held the paper, he continued, "This is a statement from the First National Bank. It shows a money transfer from the private account of Peggy Rodgers to the account of Dale Parker. The transfer was ten-thousand dollars."

Sam Rodgers stood. "Where'd you get that kind of money?"

"Mr. Brown, your clients need to remain silent. You won't turn this courtroom into a circus. You've already been warned."

"Yes, your honor."

Paul stood in front of the plaintiff's table and stared at the woman. "Mr. Page, do you know how Mrs. Peggy Rodgers came to have this much money?"

"My research indicated she inherited it from her aunt a few years ago."

"Who and where is Dale Parker?" Paul turned toward Everett.

"Last I heard the police were on their way to his trailer on Highway 51 by the old golf course." Everett glanced at his watch. "That was about thirty minutes ago. He should be on his way to the precinct by now."

"Do you have any knowledge of what Mr. Parker will be charged with?"

"Attempted child abduction, he's allegedly the man who tried to abduct Michael Rodgers."

The people in the courtroom turned at the sound of a door opening and shutting. A navy suited detective nodded toward Everett and sat in the back of the room.

Paul turned toward the witness. "I take it Mr. Parker is in custody. Am I correct?"

"I think so."

Paul first glanced at his opponent and then at Judge Sawyer. "If Mr. Brown has no objections and in the interest of time, I'd like to call the detective to the stand."

Mr. Brown stood. "No objection, your honor."

Peggy Rodgers slugged Mr. Brown on the arm. "What are you doing?"

Sam Rodgers stood. "I can't believe you would do such a horrible thing." He left the courtroom and slammed the door.

The plaintiff screamed, "These are all lies! I'm innocent!"

The judge banged the gavel down with a loud thud. "Silence! Would the detective come forward and be sworn in?"

After he walked forward and was sworn in, Paul began.

*****
That evening during dinner, Paul relayed the information to Betty and Troy. "Sawyer threatened to take Brown before the bar association for the tricks he tried to pull in court. Today he had his tail between his legs, especially once he learned what his client was up to. Peggy Rodgers is in custody and faces attempted kidnapping charges. It seems she wasn't really trying to abduct Michael, just threaten to so Anna would appear as an unfit mother." He turned toward Anna. "You may continue with your life as a normal citizen."

"I can do that until Bobby gets out of jail. Then he'll not only want revenge for me having him put in jail, and winning custody of Michael. Now he'll be angry because his mom's in jail." Anna sighed and placed her fork on her plate.



Recognized


This is the end of chapter 12 of a much longer novel. I am hoping I am not rushing too fast to post. I appreciate all of the reviews. Thank you for reading.

SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org

National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233
Each state has it's own hotline number.

Hepatitis B vaccine is recommended for all infants in the United States, with the first dose administered soon after birth and before hospital discharge. Infants and children who will travel should receive 3 doses of HBV vaccine before traveling:
The interval between doses 1 and 2 should be 4 weeks.
The interval between doses 2 and 3 should be 8 weeks.
The interval between doses 1 and 3 should be 16 weeks.
The third dose should not be given before the infant is at least 24 weeks of age.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.