Children Fiction posted October 16, 2011 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Mareng gets a lovely birthday present

A chapter in the book The dragon Mareng

Mareng's birthday

by robina1978



Background
Mareng and Mara are two dragon children. They have just finished primary school. During the summer holidays Mareng celebrates his birthday and gets a lovely present from his parents.
After the exam and the celebration, all dragons and children had a long summer break. The ones that would go to different colleges said their good-bye's on the day of the celebration. Some of them shed a tear, but most were very brave and said to each other:
"We might see each other again in the woods or on the street."

Some of the children went on holiday with their family. Mareng and Mara both stayed at home. Their parents explained to them that a holiday was just too expensive, as they would need new clothes and books for the college they would go to. Instead they had some days out, sometimes together and sometimes separate. It meant that they had plenty of time to play as they were used to.

Mareng's birthday was on the 29th of August; he became 12 years old. The two families celebrated this together with lemonade and a huge birthday cake. Early in the morning he got his present.
"Oh, a dog, just what I wanted. How did you know that Mum and Dad?"
"Mareng, don't you remember you asked for one a few month ago? You have to promise to look after it yourself of course: feed her and take her for walks."
"I'll love doing that, don't you worry. Mara and I can maybe sometimes take her out together. Can she come to college with us?"
"No Mareng, college won't accept dogs and it would distract you from learning."
"Well, will you look after her then? And I will come back as soon as I can."
"Of course we will, you should know that. We love this dog as well. What name would you like her to have?"

Mareng and Mara whispered for a little while. Then Mareng said:
"We both like Nicci as a name, that is short for Nicola."
"OK, here we have Nicci then. She will make a lovely addition to our family."

Straight away after their lemonade and cake, Mareng and Mara asked if they could take her for a walk. And off they went. They thoroughly enjoyed this stroll with three instead of two. And Nicci loved it as well. Nicci was different from the other dogs they had seen. She had wings just like a dragon. This pleased them as it meant she could not just walk, but also fly with them.

Before they knew it the holiday was over and they had to start college. Mareng hated to leave Nicci with his parents. But he understood that she would be there for him after school and he walked her before he left for college.
Nicci was looking at the pair of them going away to college. Mareng and Mara shed a wee tear; Nicci whined a bit.

But after a few days the all were used to this routine. And college brought them a new challenge.
You will hear more about college in the next chapter.




Thank so much to Lynnkah for the beautiful artwork.
Please be lenient with your judgement as I am Dutch; any suggestions to improve the language or punctuation are welcomed. If you don't like it, please just don't rate.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by lynnkah at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. robina1978 All rights reserved.
robina1978 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.