Children Fiction posted October 6, 2011 Chapters: 3 4 -5- 6... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
As the children get older they become more adventure

A chapter in the book The dragon Mareng

Mareng went missing

by robina1978



Background
Mareng is a dragon. He first learned things at home, then at school. His best friend is Mara, a small dragon girl. Now they are a bit older, they got too adventurous here.
The dragon children and the human children made very good progress at school over the year. The teacher and their parents were very pleased. The parents realized this was due to how well Mrs. Dragonlake had taught them. They talked about this with her this at the parent-teacher meeting. She was ever so pleased.

The children could now do more complicated writing, reading and arithmetic. They had met so many animals to play with that it would go too far to mention them all. At the end of the year geography and some history was added. The children liked this as it gave more variety.

Mareng and Mara were top of their class and also remained close friends. They both socialized with most other children at school, but after school they were inseparable. They did not play every day after school, because they also had to do homework. Mrs. Dragonlake and their parents had told them it was best to do it separately, so they could fully concentrate.

Mrs. Dragonlake told the whole class, as soon as they started getting homework:
"Children, I don't like you to play after school on the days I give you homework."
"Oh, why not? We like it so much to play after school. Could we not do our homework together and then play afterwards?"
"I think that won't work out. So I suggest three days of homework each on your own and then you still have four days left to play together. Wouldn't you all like to keep on getting good results?"
"Yes, we like good results. So we will do as you say." most of the children answered in chorus.

As you will understand, things changed for them. They did not like it at first and missed playing. But after a while they got used to it. Most parents also explained why it was better this way.

Towards the end of the school year they were allowed to play longer, as it did not get dark so early anymore. On the days without homework, they became more adventurous. Mareng and Mara strayed further and further and tended to come home later.

One day in June they lost track of each other. They had been flying over the woods and all over town. Mareng flew so high that he lost track of where he was.
"Mara, where are you?"
He heard nothing.

Mara, being closer to the woods and their homes: "Mareng where are you? I think it is time to go home as it will get dark soon."
She also heard nothing. After a while she became scared in the dusk and being all alone. So the only thing she could think of was to go home and tell his parents what had happened.

Mareng was by now completely lost. He was not scared as he was a boy and not easily scared. To try to locate Mara or either of their houses he flew even higher. This got him nowhere however.

Mara rang the doorbell at the house of Mareng's parents.
"I've lost Mareng- I am so sorry -I've looked every where and shouted for him. As it was getting dark I got scared and decided to come and tell you."
"Do you know where you lost each other, Mara?"
"No Mum ( she called Mareng's mother Mum as well ), we were so far away that I don't really know. But I managed to find my way back in the end. I hope you are not angry with me."
"No Mara, it is not your fault. Just go home, I will phone your Mum and tell her you are on the way. I am just worried about what might have happened to Mareng."

After another hour it was completely dark and there was still no sign of Mareng. His parents were worried sick by now. They decided to phone Mrs. Dragonlake, the police, some of their neighbours and the local hospital. Fortunately he was not in the hospital. And the police knew nothing either. The police asked what he looked like and what he had been wearing. They would put out a full alarm.
They asked Mareng's parents to stay beside the phone so they could be contacted.
The neighbours and Mara's parents made up a search party. Mrs Dragonlake by then had phoned all the other parents to see if Mareng might be with them. But he wasn't.

Mareng had found a lovely looking human girl- a lot older than him. She was nice looking and was flying over a lake. She said she was a princess. Mareng thought he could trust her and explained he was lost.
Princess: "Can you tell me exactly what your house and the woods nearby look like? Then maybe I can help you."
Mareng could explain that to her in great detail.
"Do you trust me enough to sit on your back, so we can look together? We can go much faster if I sit on your back, and you just follow my directions."
"Yes I am sure I can trust you and it will be fun to have you on my back. I also want to get back home as soon as I can. I am getting hungry and it is so dark now."

Mareng followed her instructions to the letter. An hour later they found his house. His parents were very pleased, but looked a bit funny, he thought. They let them both in. Mareng told his story as he always did when he came home. Then Mareng's parents told them how worried they had been and who were all looking for him.

They rang everybody to inform them Mareng had arrived home safely. Then they thanked the Princess for her kindness. As they did not want to get her lost as well, they accepted the offer from the police take her back home safely.

After she had left, Mareng was told off really seriously, and was sent to bed without any dinner. And for one free afternoon, he was not allowed to go and play. Of course they explained why so he would understand.

Mareng made a decision not to repeat this again. He did not fully understand, but the punishment made an impression.






Recognized


Thanks to Lynnkah for the beautiful art.
Thanks to Robert and all my friends here for helping me to improve the story, I do try and learn from all of it.
Hope I did make less mistakes this time. But be lenient as I am Dutch. Tips will be appreciated.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by lynnkah at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. robina1978 All rights reserved.
robina1978 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.