Essay Non-Fiction posted September 5, 2011


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Big Business does it again.

Banned?

by barbara.wilkey

This is a sad, but true story about how a giant corporation's arrogant behavior was directed against their customers.

On August 30, 2011, Steven, my eighteen year old, came to me. "Mom, my XYZ console has been banned from playing."

The only thing I know about gaming systems is the location of the on and off switch. I asked, "So? What does that mean?" I had considered throwing the XYZ in the trash myself on numerous occasions.

He led the way to his room and showed me the screen. His console had indeed been banned. Large gray letters written across it stated, "This console has been banned."

"What does that mean? Who banned it and why? What is it banned from?" I asked.

"It's banned from playing on-line."

A mother's most logical question came next. "What did you or your console do to get banned?"

"I have no idea." His eyes met mine.

"How can you be banned and have no idea why? Have you asked?"

"Yes, and they won't answer. I've searched the site and it says they can ban your console and don't have to tell you why. Also, once a console has been banned, there is no way to lift the ban."

"Why do they ban consoles? And who is they?"

"Moding, hacking, or stealing software. They are the XYZ Corporation."

Once I discovered what moding was, I realized these were serious offenses, at least in the gaming world. I would think people would have something better to do with their time, but I could be mistaken.

In case you are wondering about my son's console, the seals have not been broken so he did not mod it. I doubt seriously he has stolen software since he's fairly spoilt and when he wants a new game or software I buy it. As for hacking, I doubt that too. He enjoys gaming so much; I doubt he would risk losing his box. One thing he has in his favor is he gave me the 800 number and wanted me to call and find out why his console was banned. He wants to know as badly as I do.

I called and spoke with a very nice woman. I explained I was the mother and would like to know what my eighteen year old was guilty of so I could correct the situation. I told her I could not discipline him if I didn't know the offense. She said she understood and directed me to a forum where I could direct my question to the proper people.

"His account has not been banned so you can buy a new console and he can still play on-line," she stated.

"Why should I buy a new console when his old one works just fine?" Realizing she didn't think like I did, I paused briefly and regrouped. "Ma'am, you don't understand. If my son is guilty of any of the offenses on the site, he will never get another console. How long will it take for them to answer my question?"

"They should respond within twenty-four hours. Here is your service request number in case you need to call again."

I considered telling her she knew what she could do with her passive indifferent attitude, but I decided to be patient for twenty-four hours. After all, I copied down the service request number in case I needed it.

I returned home from work the following day and had not received an answer. I called the 800 number again and spoke with a very nice gentleman, who still could or would not help me. He was not interested in my service request number when I offered it to him. He directed me back to the forum and assured me I would indeed get an answer this time. Matter-of -fact my first attempt had been deleted from the forum.

The second time I posted my question was also deleted, this time immediately. Proving to me Big Brother of the Gaming World controls the forum.

I have since discovered that numerous gamers' consoles were banned the same day and not a single one of them have received an answer as to why and their questions have also been deleted from the forum.

People who have had other types of questions have been allowed to post on the forum and have received answers. The console banned gamers are adding their complaints to the other forum questions as comments and are becoming quite organized. They have come up with a phone number for this corporation's headquarters. Gamers can be very resourceful. I don't dare ask how they do it. Maybe they would answer then zap me with their Inquisitive Modulator Eliminator. I would be whisked into the gaming universe, lobotomized, and turned into a faithful gamer. Naw, not me, I am too faithful to FanStory, but just in case .... Gamers have also given me a site that acts like a watchdog over gaming sites.

Through our investigation two choices have raised their ugly heads. One, the company randomly banned consoles so gamers are forced to buy new consoles. This will keep the sales up and more money made by the corporation, very likely, since the account was not frozen. A new console can cost between $200 and $500 depending on the memory. Buy a new console and you are back to gaming. Two, somebody hacked into the system and banned numerous consoles on that particular day. Either way the corporation isn't talking or answering questions. If their system was hacked into, that would be quite an embarrassment. Big Business is more concerned with protecting its image, than protecting its customers.






Recognized


Thank you google images for the evolution of a gamer.
I am NOT a gamer and don't understand gamers, but I became outraged a the advantage this corportation took over the little man.

*Mod -Mod is short for modification and is a term used to describe any modification to the ThirdWire games. Mods can be full add-on aircraft, weapons, campaigns, or simple single-line .in file edits to change a value of an aircraft or game file. Steven had no recourse. I wrote this quickly and was angry so I hope I didn't make too many mistakes.

Modder - Someone who makes modifications to games is called a modder.
Source: Camouflage Software Inc. (Not the guilty party in this rant.)

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.