Romance Fiction posted March 27, 2011 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Anna takes Michael to the doctor.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

Part One of Chapter Two

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much
CHAPTER TWO

Inside the pediatrician's lobby, Anna walked up to a receptionist's counter. "May I please use the telephone?"

The attractive woman smiled. "Sure. The number?"

Anna adjusted Michael on her right hip, clutched Troy's business card, and read-off the first number.

The receptionist handed the receiver to Anna. "It's ringing."

When Anna heard a "hello", she swallowed. "Troy?"

"Anna, is that you?" Silence filled the air for a moment before he said, "Anna, please don't hang-up."

"Michael probably has an ear infection."

"How can I help?"

"My insurance has a co-pay for doctor's visits." Her voice became.

"Bobby controls the money," Troy interjected as Michael's crying filled the silence. "Is there anyway I can help?" Again, Anna didn't respond. "I'll help anyway I can."

"I shouldn't bother you, good bye."

"Anna, don't hang up. Your baby needs a doctor. Let me help." When Troy heard silence, he asked, "Are you still there?"

"Yes," she whispered.

"Good. I understand this is difficult. Please tell me what you need."

Tears rolled down her cheeks. "I need fifteen dollars for co-pay and money for the prescription."

"What time is Michael's appointment?"

"I haven't made it yet."

"Go ahead and make it. How do I get there?" After Anna gave him the directions, he said, "I'll be there in twenty minutes."

*****
While they sat in the waiting room, Michael struggled in his mother's arms, tugging and rubbing his ear. Anna avoided eye contact with the other patients and stared at the front door. When Troy entered, she released a slow breath and adjusted Michael.

Troy patted the top of Michael's blond head before he sat beside them. "Has he seen the doctor?"

"Not yet."

"How do you want to do this?" He retrieved the black-leather billfold from his back pocket. "I can pay or hold Michael. Whichever is easiest for you?"

Anna glanced toward the sign-in desk. "I better do it."

"Here." He handed her the billfold and held out his hands. "While you take care of it, I'll hold this little guy."

When Anna returned, she swallowed. "Thank you. I'll repay you as soon as possible."

"Don't worry about it."

There was not a empty seat to be found in the waiting room and several mothers stood with infants on their hips. The nurse scanned the busy waiting room. "Michael Rodgers."

Anna stood and took Michael from Troy. "That's us. Thank you again."

He touched her arm. "I'll wait."

*****
When Anna and her son returned, Troy stood. "He's almost as large as you. Let me carry him." He took the child from her arms. "What did the doctor say?"

"He has an infection in both ears." She held up a piece of paper. "He needs this prescription filled."

"Which pharmacy do you use? I've got you covered."

Anna sighed. "You shouldn't do that."

"Do you have any other way to pay for it?"

"No, but this isn't right either."

He put his finger-tip over her lips. "You didn't ask. I offered."

"I called you."

"Because you wanted to do what was best for your son. How else was he going to get medical care?"

"Please understand I only did this because Michael's sick. I'll repay."

"I understand." At Anna's car, Troy put Michael in the car seat. "I don't know how to fasten him in."

"Let me." She waited until Troy moved before she leaned into the backseat.

Troy watched her skirt hike on her thighs. He wiped his mouth and released a deep breath. This woman needs my protection and help, not my raging hormones.

She reached farther across the seat and the skirt's hem touched the bottom of her rear end. Troy sighed and turned around, running his fingers through his short brown hair. Her husband abuses her. She doesn't need another man screwing up her life. It shouldn't matter that I haven't been with a woman since Angela discovered my diagnosis and walked out.

"Michael's fastened in." She stood beside the car. "Is there a problem?"

"No." He turned and faced her as the tips of his ears turned pink. "When you reached in and fastened Michael's seatbelt, your skirt slid up, a little. I blocked the view. I thought you wouldn't like any unwanted attention."

"Thank you." A flush came to her cheeks. "I'm sorry. I'll be more cautious from now on."

Troy opened the car door for her. "I'll follow you to the pharmacy."

*****
Anna parked, got out of the car, and started opening the door to get Michael. Troy walked up behind her and said, "I'll watch the little one, leave him where he's at." He held out a handful of bills. "This should cover it."

"Are you sure? Sometimes it takes awhile and he can be a handful."

"Michael and I'll get to know each other."

"Thank you. I'm sure you've been told this before, but you're very sweet."

As he shook his head, he said, "Yea, sure. Just get this young man's medicine. His ears hurt."

"I'll hurry." She turned and walked toward the building.

"I guess you already know your mom's a special lady, don't you?" He held Michael's chubby little hand.

When Anna returned, she handed Troy the change. "Thank you. I promise to repay you as soon as possible."

"Don't worry about it." He glanced at his watch. "You better get home. Bobby will be worried."

She rubbed her forehead. "He's not going to be happy that I've been gone this long," she said softly. "I'll never forget your kindness." She sat behind the steering wheel.

Troy put his hand on her arm. "If you need anything, call." He started to walk away, then turned and faced her. "I'm serious. Call for any reason."

She nodded as she turned the ignition key.

*****
Anna parked in the driveway and took a deep breath before she carried Michael into the house. "Bobby, we're home." When she walked through the living room, she noticed empty beer cans around the recliner. She called again and still didn't receive an answer.

In the kitchen, she noticed empty cans scattered on the table. He's drunk. She opened a drawer and searched for an infant medicine dropper, as a large, grease-stained hand grabbed the bottle of pink medicine. Another hand engulfed her arm as dirty fingernails embedded in her arm.



Recognized


Thank you for reading and supporting my work. I appreciate each one of you.
I finally received an answer about further chemo. It has been decided that the sore on my spine is still open and so I won't be receiving any additional chemo.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.