General Fiction posted March 20, 2011 Chapters: 1 2 -3- 4... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Troy gets a look at Bobby.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

Part Three of Chapter One

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much
Part Two: Troy notices bruises shaped liked fingers on Anna's arm. He's worried about her, but she won't open up, yet. She leaves the bookstore to return to work.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Troy watched Anna through the bookstore window. When he heard the rumble of loud pipes coming toward them and turned his head. Hmm, he must have Gibson headers on that thing. The sound stopped close to Anna. He watched a tall muscular man, jump from a customized pick-up and run toward her. Troy stepped outside. Who's this?

He watched the dark-haired man grab her arm then yell, "Where the hell have you been? The damn daycare called. Michael's sick."

Troy took a few steps closer. Must be her husband.

Bobby yanked the sack from Anna's hand, opened it, looked inside, and threw the contents on the sidewalk. "No wonder you're still fat from the baby. We don't have money for your fancy lunches. Now, get your kid! And you'd better not take him to the doctor. You wasted enough money on lunch."

After Bobby climbed into the pick-up and left, Anna knelt down and cleaned up the sandwich, chips and pickle. She threw it in the trash on her way inside the building.


Within minutes, Anna opened the door with her briefcase in hand and crossed the sidewalk. When Troy walked up to her, she said, "My son's ill. I need to pick him up from the daycare." She tried to step around him.

"I overheard everything. Why can't Bobby get him?"

"He's too busy. He's self-employed, repairing automobiles."

Troy rubbed the back of his neck.

"Please, I need to hurry and get Michael."

"Or you'll get beaten for being late, right?"

She stopped and sighed. "I just need to hurry."

He removed another card from his billfold. "Put this inside your briefcase. I'm concerned. Call anytime." Troy watched her shove the card inside an out-of-the-way pouch. "Thank you. Now use it. Understand?"

"Yes." She glanced toward the parking garage. "I really do need to hurry."

Troy watched her walk away. I wish she'd let me help. She's so petite. I bet she doesn't weigh one hundred and ten pounds. That bastard's at least twice her weight. One well-placed blow could kill her.

He turned toward his Harley. If she stays, her son will growup abusing women and the cycle will continue. If he hits her again, she'd better call or I'll ... shit I don't know what I'll do.

*****
Inside the daycare, Anna held a teary-eyed Michael on her lap as his provider said, "He's tugging on his left ear. I'm pretty sure he has an ear infection. His temp is 101.5."

"I'll call the pediatrician and see if I can get him in this afternoon." Anna carried Michael to the car and fastened her blue-eyed, blond infant in the car seat. "Your daddy isn't going to be happy about a doctor bill or the medicine. Why can't he be satisfied my insurance covers most of the cost?"

With a sigh, she walked around the car and sat behind the steering wheel. "I hate my life and it gets worse every day." She turned when she heard Michael whimpering in the backseat. "It's all right, sweetheart. As soon as we get home, I'll call the doctor." She turned on the engine and drove toward home.

At the last red light, Anna sat and stared straight toward her house. If I go home, Bobby won't let me call the doctor. She adjusted the rearview mirror and studied Michael's tear-stained chubby cheeks. He needs a doctor. When the light turned green, she turned right. "Mommy's taking you to the doctor. I'll deal with Daddy later."

After she parked the car in the clinic parking lot, she took a deep breath and reached for the briefcase. "Troy said whenever I needed anything I could call. I need fifteen dollars for the co-pay." Tears entered her eyes. I don't know this man, but it's for my son, not for me. Dear God, it's all right, isn't it? She removed the business card from the hidden pouch.



Recognized


Many of you are asking how I am doing. I am playing the waiting game to see if I start phase three chemo on Thursday or not. I can't get a straight answer from my doctor. He's still trying to decide if the sore on my spine is enough to stop the chemo or not. Regardless I start radiation treatment on April 6th.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.