Biographical Non-Fiction posted March 4, 2011 Chapters: 6 -7- 8... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Snow stuck on Feb 24, 2011

A chapter in the book Harley, a Little Dog

Harley's First Snow

by Mustang Patty

Mornings always began with the shuffling of the Mistress's feet as she came towards the kitchen to make coffee. As soon as he heard the sound, Harley would begin his own morning routine. Stretching languorously in his comfy bed, he put his forefeet as far out as he could while doing the same with his back feet.

Harley did not know why the Mistress got up before the light came through the kitchen window. It surely didn't make any sense to him. Being a loyal doggie, he always greeted her when she came to start the coffee pot. In spite of the earliness of the hour, Harley loved this time of day. While the coffee brewed, the Mistress would pick him up and cuddle him in her arms. She softly told him what a good doggie he was while she carried him all around the kitchen.

Today the air seemed different. Harley did not want to leave the coziness of his bed. The Mistress wore her robe and the green one that belonged to the Man. Why did the floor feel so weird? Harley didn't like this feeling.

After the Mistress finished with the coffee pot, she bent down to pick Harley up. He strained his neck to plant a puppy kiss on her lips and she giggled. Harley loved that sound. He knew the Mistress was happy with him. She walked towards the window and took a deep breath as she pushed aside the curtain.

"Harley! It snowed last night. Look at all that white stuff out there. Later, when the sun comes up, you and I will go for a walk so you can play in the snow, okay?"

He didn't understand more than a few words but he did know she was excited and he was going outside. Wriggling in her arms, he strained to get down and grab his leash.

"No, Harley. We aren't going outside now, we are going later."

Harley's little ears cupped towards the Mistress's face. Hearing the word, "NO," he stopped wriggling. Studying the Mistress's face to see if he was in trouble, he looked for the usual signs. If he were in trouble, she would start to put him down and continue to tell him that he was 'bad.'

Still cradling Harley in her arms, the Mistress walked over to the coffee pot. It wasn't gurgling anymore, and she poured a cup of the hot dark liquid into a mug with one hand while holding him with the other. She was still talking in a soothing voice so Harley knew he wasn't in trouble, and though he was confused about going outside, he reveled in his special time with her.

A few moments later, the Mistress kissed Harley on the top of his head and placed him back in his bed. She turned out the kitchen light and left the kitchen with a carafe of coffee. Harley lay his head down and went back to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


The sun peeked through the curtains of the kitchen. Bright light filled the space around Harley's bed. He could hear the Mistress talking to Simba and Leo as she put food in their dishes and filled up their water. Knowing his turn was next, he jumped out of bed to greet her. Standing at the kitchen gate, he wagged his tail in anticipation of the coming routine.

Most mornings the Mistress was still in her robe when she came to feed him. She would bury a few puppy biscuits in his soft food and talk to him while she tidied the kitchen and started the dishwasher. He would eat his breakfast and enjoy time with her.

Harley was very surprised to see the Mistress was dressed in outside clothes and holding his harness and leash. Curious about this turn of events, he stood on his hind legs and fought the Mistress as she attempted to put on the harness. Growling, snapping and biting, he did his best to chew on the item of great delight and contempt. He loved to go outside but didn't want to be controlled!

After the usual tussle that Harley always lost, the Mistress led him towards the door. What was wrong with outside? Harley's eyes hurt. The light was very bright. Confused, Harley stepped outside and experienced a new world.

At first, he didn't like this weird, cold stuff between his toes. He snarled and bit at the little bits. The feeling on his tongue was a new sensation, too. It stung, but he liked the way it felt after a bit. This was a refreshing way to take a drink!

Harley's leash was only six feet long, but he was able to play under the watchful eye of the Mistress. Running and leaping through this white world was fun, but in a short time, the strangeness of the air began to make him shiver. As soon as the Mistress noticed the perceptible shake, she picked him up.

Entering the house felt good. Harley began to feel better and the Mistress took a towel and wiped his feet and coat. The wet and cold stuff wasn't between his toes anymore and he stopped shivering. Smelling his food that the Man put out while they were outside, Harley felt his tummy's gladness.

Harley ate a hearty breakfast and looked longingly at his cozy bed. The Mistress told him it was okay if he was tired. He played hard outside. Gratefully, he lay down in his bed and licked his paws to get the rest of the wet off. His eyelids felt heavy and he started to drift asleep. Snow might look pretty but playing in it was hard work.

 




Recognized


Word Count: 954; Harley is growing up so fast! He has calmed down tremendously and its a good thing - my school work keeps me pretty busy and he often is in my office with me and finds a comfy spot to lay. In order to keep him out of trouble, I set a timer to ensure playing with him every hour for about 15 minutes. He knows he can count on that and lets me have some quiet time to get things done. He is a loyal and loving little dog!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mustang Patty All rights reserved.
Mustang Patty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.