General Fiction posted January 30, 2011 Chapters:  ...33 34 -35- 36 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Joe askes a very important question.

A chapter in the book Another Pretty Face

Chapter 15; part one

by barbara.wilkey



Background
While Col. Joe Barnes visited his parents, he was reacquainted with Sara, the baby sister of his best friend, Josh. Sara became pregnant during her senior year and raised her daughter, Cassie by herself. Josh was killed during Desert Storm.
CHAPTER FIFTEEN

Joe released a deep breath as he glanced across the lake. "If you're finished, let's clean up and take a walk." He packed the leftovers. Holding the container of strawberries, he smiled. "Would you like to finish these?"

"Maybe I'll have a few more."

He removed the lid and handed her a strawberry. "Enjoy it. We're in no hurry."

After Sara hugged him, he asked, "What's that for?"

"Because you're a nice guy."

"Darn; I hoped you needed to lean on my shoulders for support." He held her. "I want you to remember how you once found comfort in my arms."

She gulped. "I never forgot. That was part of the problem. I could never push my feelings for you from my heart. I had a battle going on between my head and my heart."

"Your heart won?"

"My heart won. Dani reminded me how wonderful you are."

He kissed her cheek. "There's a strawberry left, would you like it?"

"I've eaten them all. Are you sure you wouldn't like the last one?"

He handed it to her. "I'm positive. On Valentine's Day I'll send you dozens of chocolate covered strawberries."

Joe watched Sara finish eating. "Let's get to that walk." He lifted her chin and kissed her.

She glanced around the area, making sure nothing was forgotten. I wonder why he's in such a hurry. She followed him, carrying the blanket.

After Joe secured everything in the trunk, he held out his hand. "Ready?"

"Yep. Which way should we go; left or right?" She took his hand.

"Let's go right so we're not walking into the sun."

As they walked closer to the country club, Sara pointed. "Joe, look. The garden's decorated for a wedding. I've always dreamed of having a wedding in that garden. Isn't it beautiful? Look, the ducks are swimming beside the shore."

Before he could answer, she pointed to the roses. "The bride must love roses as much as I do." She stopped and stared. "White and yellow roses." She pointed to the archway. "I've never seen it decorated with pink roses."

She turned toward Joe. "Somebody really important must be getting married. I've been so preoccupied with Cassie's situation I haven't read the newspaper. Whoever it is must have a lot of money. A wedding like this would cost a fortune."

Ginger Moore slammed the country club door and glared at Sara. "I can't believe you've closed the entire club for your reception. That's really selfish, isn't it?"

Sara stared at her. I wonder what she's talking about. She watched her walk to her black Corvette.

When Sara turned toward Joe, he was on his knee. "Sara Riley, will you marry me?" He opened a small black box that held a three stone diamond ring.

She covered her mouth with her hands and released a deep breath. "You did this, didn't you? But when?"

Still on his knee, he grinned. "Answer my question, and I'll give you the details." When she didn't respond, Joe repeated, "Sara, will you marry me?"

She swallowed. "Right now? This very minute?"

"Not right this minute, but as soon as you change. Your wedding dress is waiting inside."

She glanced toward the country club front door. "Really?"

"Sara, will you answer the question?"

When she walked over to the archway and touched the roses, Joe followed her. "You're not going to answer my question until I tell you how all this happened, are you?" He released a deep breath. "This morning I asked your dad's permission. After he gave his blessing, I set up a three-way teleconference call between my mom, your mom, and Dani."

"You told Cassie about this when you came to my house today, didn't you? That's why she hugged you twice, isn't it?"

"Yes. I had to have her permission and she gave us her blessing. She was excited about getting to help plan our wedding. I'm sure she and Dani had a lot of input."

Sara laughed. "So Dani had a hand in setting this up?"

"Of course, you don't think she'd let something as important as a wedding happen without her help, do you?" Joe chuckled.

"Your mom described the type of dress, flowers, candles, music, and reception you'd like." He grinned. "It was my idea to close the country club. I thought you needed to make this town stop and take notice for a few hours."

She sighed. "How did all this stuff get done in half a day?"

"Our moms coordinated the flowers, food, minister, and the country club. I think they used all the favors owed to them through the years."

He smiled as a white limousine drove up. "Your mom described your dream dress and Dani found it."

"Is my wedding dress white?"

"I don't know anything else about it, but I do know it's white. You deserve to be married in white." When she started to object, Joe kissed her. "You agreed not to cut yourself down around me, remember?"

He ran his fingers through his short hair. "The circumstances surrounding Cassie's conception aren't important to me. I hope you understand it wasn't your fault and will quit blaming yourself."

Her eyes met his. "Thank you. You always seem to know exactly what to say to help me put things in perspective."

"Dani also took care of both our moms' and Cassie's dresses. We thought you'd want Cassie to be your maid of honor. Matt agreed to be my best man."

Dani ran up to Sara and they hugged. "Congratulations. I told you Joe hadn't changed his mind about you. I can't wait until we live in the same town. We'll have fun doing things together."

Matt, dressed in his Army Blues, slapped Joe on the back. "The rest of the team will be here in a few minutes. The team's ready for the arch of sabers. You're planning on a military wedding, right?"

Joe glanced at Sara. "I'm not sure. Sara hasn't agreed to marry me, yet?"

Dani took Sara's arm and led her away from the men. "We need to talk." After finding a private place, Dani asked, "What's the problem?"

"There isn't a problem. I love Joe and want to marry him, but so much has happened I haven't had a chance to answer him." She studied the country club. "What does my dress look like?"

"It's a strapless white satin A-line gown with embroidery and a split front overskirt."

Sara closed her eyes to visualize it. "It sounds beautiful." A blush came over her cheeks. "I don't have the proper undergarments for a gown like that."

Dani glanced toward the men. "In the limousine is a suitcase packed with everything you need and something for tonight." She grinned. "I'm sure you want tonight to be special."

Sara's cheeks turned crimson. "My nightgown's flannel and covers my knees."

"I guarantee you'll feel beautiful. Joe will love it. It's a little naughty, but tasteful.

"You think of everything, don't you? Thank you." She took Dani's hand.

"Your clothes were easy to pick out. I hope you like what I chose for Cassie. It was difficult finding something just right. I wanted her to look beautiful, but still remembering she's only fourteen years old."

Dani licked her lips. "It's a sleeveless light blue taffeta tea-length dress. It has a semi-sheer neckline and a bow," she placed her hand under her breasts, "at the empire waist."

"Cassie will look gorgeous in that. She's so pretty in blue."

"The army has many occasions for us to dress-up. It'll be fun going shopping with you."

Sara glanced toward Joe, then back at Dani, "You said something earlier about living in the same town?"

"Joe hasn't said anything about moving to Alexandria, has he?" Dani sighed. "We need to give you a chance to finish talking."



Recognized


We are coming to an end. Only eleven pages left. I'm sure Sara will hold true to form and NOT make this easy for Joe, but we'll have to wait and see.
On Thursday, I finished week 6 of phase two chemo. I'm half way done with this phase. It's taking it's toll on me, but thanks to all your support I can draw strength from my friends.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.