Commentary and Philosophy Fiction posted December 7, 2010


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Be careful what you wish for!

Imperfect Perfection

by fairydancer

.















In my world suffering would not exist. There would be no illness or chronic pain, no torture or evil gains; no harsh realities or depressive delusions, no bitter clarity or mental confusions.

No mistakes or regrets would darken its shores, and no unpaid debts; not loneliness or love lost, no war mongering or counting the cost, and never would a mother have to hear her child cry from starvation or even die.

In my world you would not find empty words or oil suffocated birds; no tear splashed shirts or shredded skirts; no blood-stained streets or flesh-slashing feats; no pointless deaths or crystal meths; no hypodermics hanging out of veins, and definitely no delays on trains.

The word "negative" would not be found in any dictionary in my world, and antagonistic or underhand scheming would not exist, along with politics. (Ouch!) If Machiavelli had existed in my world, he would have used his management skills to help make the world a better place, and anyone who would have been an evil dictator in this world would now use their public speaking skills to unite their people for the common good.

A newborn baby's cry would celebrate their birth into my world and everyone would enjoy their wonderful lives. (NO, I am not that egotistical, please read on...)

"Global warming" would never have come to be and there would be no asteroids crashing through space on a collision course with Earth. Black holes would be safe wormholes to incredible new universes and those dreams where you are flying without wings would seem even more real, with no startled wake-ups when you hit the tarmac from a great height!

Nature, in all its magnificent glory would surround us, providing everything we need (doesn't it already?) Smiling faces would abound, and so would love.

Sounds perfect, doesn't it?

But (there had to be a "but") universal balance is an absolute constant, which even a "perfect" world must succumb to.

So, as no-one would ever make a mistake, likewise no-one would learn from them; half of the wisdom or experience we gain throughout our lives would never be learned.

As every sunset would beam with a grenadine smile and each cloud would shine with magenta and lilac hues, so we would come to expect it and inevitably not bother to watch it; no-one would appreciate what they have, just take it for granted (even more than we do now?)

As our bodies would never get sick or tired we would not have to look after them, but that's ok, because we would never lose our love; they would just put up with any tardiness or nasty niffs (or would hair not grow, and BO not exist in a perfect world either?)

Our homes would not have the same level of sentiments attached to them as family would always be around us and death would not exist.

Cherished gifts such as hope, peace, friendship, and kindness, flowing in copious amounts, would also be taken for granted, even love, for if we have not suffered heartache or the fear of losing love, how could we truly appreciate it?

Believe it or not, doing just what we wanted, when and how we wanted would take its toll - years and years of painting, drawing, making love, walking, climbing, making love, fishing, surfing, making love, sculpting, embroidery, making love, skiing, dancing, making love... would leave our brains wanting... to do something, anything to relieve the monotony; but there would be no depression or destructive tendencies, so what they do?

Even money would be obsolete, (YEA!!!) but likewise, so would ambition. Competitive spirit would not exist as everyone would always win, even personal competition, because everybody would already be the best they could be, in a perfect world. There would be no motivation to do anything, plenty of rhyme (so sweet) and loads of time, but no reason. Mankind would not progress for we would not need to; our brains and bodies would stagnate and slowly boredom and complacency would consume our very souls, until eventually our curiosity would get the better of us.

So what would our minds do? They would start to dream of a different world; a world where there are a whole range of emotions to experience, such as true excitement, even sorrow; a place where people compete to be the best in something they enjoy, and where those who are better than others gain something more than they already have. They would dream of a place where not everything is predictable, where not everything they do is perfect, where mistakes are made and consequences suffered; a world mixed with ego and ambition, swirled with negative outcomes and therefore, immense thrills; a world filled with balance.

...Or, worse still, somewhere deep in our souls, a subconscious spark would ignite, coercing us to find a way out of my perfect world, the only way out - we would long for death.

For I am not divine. I have no trespass to create worlds, just thoughts, actions, and feelings; words, images, and forms.

So perhaps it is not the world that needs to change, but me! Rather than wanting to create a better world, maybe I should strive to improve the way I deal with the many wonders and dilemmas of this one. For which ever world I live in, there will always be problems.

"Even the violence, famine, and disease?" I hear you thinking...NO, not that, never that; that I should try to change, but not the inevitable (unchangeable) things like old age, and death, for these are the natural balance of nature, of life, of the universe. The problem with our world is that we have swung this balance in the wrong direction - always wanting more, to stay younger, to live longer, better, richer...

We have to learn to gain, maintain, and live with balance again, and to help others do the same. Not an impossible feat when you look at all the people who are working for good right now - the aid workers, missionaries, doctors, charity workers and volunteers, campaigners, ecologists, and so many, many more. Thanks to the media, we always hear about the bad things that occur, yet there are so many good things happening too; just do a google search for any of the above categories and you will be amazed what you find. It is easy to get bogged down in the negative, which is of course, self-perpetuating. Talking of which, perhaps I should cut myself some slack when I find it hard to deal with some of the negative things I face too, and accept that in a balanced world I am allowed to make mistakes.

...and while I'm on it, I may also need to improve my faith; to understand that this world has been laid out so perfectly for us by the real creator, to believe that the real creator knows far more than I do, that He has a plan, that I am not meant to know everything, and that life is for learning.

Then, maybe, I will be able to live happily in this amazing world with its unmitigated balance of imperfect perfection!




...But perhaps if we all did, it would be a little more perfect? (Uh oh, there I go again, trying to change everything else but me! LOL)



In my world... contest entry

Recognized


"It's not about what life brings to you, but what you bring to life."
(Taken from a UK Guinness commercial)

Thank you to moonwillow for another stunning artwork.

Contest: "Write a story that starts with the sentence: In my world.... You have the option to put it in quotes (for dialogue) and to change the punctuation at the end. Please add to the sentence, and the punctuation is your choice. The story can be about anything but start with the fragment of a sentence above."

Word count = 1,227

This is NOT supposed to be about (or question) the afterlife, but the world we live in now. The afterlife is a whole different ballgame with different rules. I am still trying to get my head round this one! LOLOL

Crystal meths = an illegal drug that is becoming extremely popular, it is very addictive and can make users violent.

I cannot tell you how strange this is for me to write these things. When I had depression (for three quarters of my life) I was a staunch anti-conformist and believed that everything was wrong with this world. Now I am happier I can start to appreciate the good things more.

...and oh boy, did I enjoy writing this, it was right up my street, so thank you to 7DOSCHannah for creating this great contest.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by MoonWillow at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. fairydancer All rights reserved.
fairydancer has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.